JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   August 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/)
-   -   OT: Equal Marriage. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/2638003-ot-equal-marriage.html)

c'est_la_vie March 26th, 2013 09:06 AM

OT: Equal Marriage.

I hope this won't become heated.. But your thoughts?

I'm all for equality, always have been. I'm not really a big fan of marriage for myself but it seems a little silly that two people couldn't marry just because they have the same sexual organs.

mom2K&G March 26th, 2013 09:11 AM

Re: OT: Equal Marriage.

I agree with it 100%! I have always been:D

MyFantasticFour March 26th, 2013 09:14 AM

Not straight, almost married two women in the past. Very, very for marriage equality.

Honestlymonique March 26th, 2013 09:16 AM

I'm all for it also. I don't get why one human being shouldn't have all the rights as another human being. I think the whole fact that it is going through the courts is silly. last time I checked U.S. of A was founded on "All men are created equal".

PhD_Bound_Mommy March 26th, 2013 09:17 AM

I'm straight, but honestly I really don't care who people marry. I believe that you fall in love with who you fall in love with. No one should be able to dictate who you can and can't marry based off of gender, race, or any biased reasoning out there.

yvee80 March 26th, 2013 09:38 AM

Agree!!!

JessKeller24 March 26th, 2013 09:41 AM

I don't get how anyone could be against it. One couple marriage doesn't effect anyone else. And what gets me is when someone in an interracial marriage is against gay/lesbian marriage! It wasn't too long ago it was illegal for them to marry.

alittlelost March 26th, 2013 09:41 AM

I can't at all understand how it's illegal for two people to marry based on gender. To me, it's a result of people voting based on their obscure religious views. It doesnt't respect OTHER people's right to freedom of religion, therefor, it should not be voted on. The most common reason people are against same-sex marriage is because it jars with their *interpretation* of their religion. But what about people who aren't religious or people who are but don't think their religion condemns it, or the fact that religious beliefs have nothing to do with a person's rights because there is supposed to be a respect in our country for those differences. And yet people vote AL THE TIME based on their religious beliefs. That's why I think some things shouldn't be voted on. The majority of our country is Christian and unfortunately many people vote based on their religious beliefs, which makes it hard for other people to live freely. of course, it's a slippery slope saying what people can and cannot vote on, but if it's covered by our constitutional rights, no one should have the option to vote those rights away. If two consenting adults want to marry, they should be allowed, without other people standing in their way because they want to dictate OTHER people's lives based on their OWN personal beliefs. If I were a Christian myself, I think i'd be pretty upset by the Christians who call themselves Christian's or people who call themselves Americans while voting against the rights of other people to marry.

Fins March 26th, 2013 09:42 AM

I'm all for it. I personally don't understand why it's such a debate.

(meaning I'm all for marriage equality)

teeny0518 March 26th, 2013 09:45 AM

Straight and Christian and I see zero reason why gays shouldn't be allowed to marry. Jesus taught acceptance and love. I hate it when people use the bible as their rationale for being against gay marriage for two reasons: 1. if you actually read the bible and various intrepretations you will see that it really doesnt, in any part, say that it is a sin. 2. Since when does the bible = the government? I am an active Christian and I don't think any government laws should be based on religious works. Freedom and equality for all!

Anchored March 26th, 2013 10:16 AM

All for equality!!! I'm straight but my mom is a lesbian so this hits very close to home for me... I think it's an abomination that our country is allowed to be so blatantly prejudice in this day and age. Take the **** church OUT of our government. I hope one day that "equal civil rights" will apply to ALL people!

Kayla_7602 March 26th, 2013 10:21 AM

I agree!

miniRazz March 26th, 2013 10:42 AM

110% behind everyone being able to marry who they are in love with, luckily in BC Canada where I live we have equality for marriage and many of my friends (and friends parents) have gotten married.
I don't see what business it is of anyone elses when someone wants to get married, especially the government!

Tinky March 26th, 2013 11:06 AM

I agree. It isn't my concern what you eat, who you sleep with any more than it is my concern how you fold9or toss) your undies in the drawer/basket/shelf.

Hesperleigh March 26th, 2013 11:29 AM

I am all about equality and acceptance!:2thumbsup:

Colliekat March 26th, 2013 12:03 PM

I'm 100% for it! I have two good girl friends who are married and have a little boy together. They are very happy and its lovely to see.

ElliotsMommy13 March 26th, 2013 12:30 PM

I definitely think it should not be illegal.. Marriage is a legal (and emotional) status that states the relationship is permanent.. I love how a lot of businesses here in Washington will allow you to claim a "domestic partner" as well for benefit reasons, though. Seattle is a bunch of hippies, though. lol. love it.

soaringphoenix March 26th, 2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2RickyRanaJavier (Post 27230850)
I don't get how anyone could be against it. One couple marriage doesn't effect anyone else. And what gets me is when someone in an interracial marriage is against gay/lesbian marriage! It wasn't too long ago it was illegal for them to marry.

Totally agree. I'm black and when I hear a black friend say they are against it I totally don't get why. And don't let me say that they are fighting for something that our founders also fought for! they bring up religion, and Im a religious person, but I can't debate a person faith. So in the end I just say we have two different views lets agree to disagree.

Bookreader March 26th, 2013 02:13 PM

I'm all for equality of marriage. I am for anything that brings more love, commitment, and stability into our society. I don't honestly believe that this social problem will be a "problem" for very long. I think this is an issue that is generational more than anything. Our grandparents didn't/never would have accepted homosexuality; our parents' generation tends to have mixed reactions based on their life experiences and situations; and our generation seems to understand that a gay or lesbian couple marrying does not take away from my family, my beliefs, or my commitment to my own spouse. I imagine 15-20 years from now equal marriage will be an accepted part of society, and we will all wonder what they big debate is about.
And Teeny, I loved your comment. It was very nicely put.

Kaisia March 26th, 2013 02:42 PM

It would never even cross my mind for something like gay marriage to be illegal. It truly baffles me that this is a debate our country is still having and saddens me for all of my LGBT friends who don't have the same rights I do.