JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   August 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Delivering early (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/2646060-delivering-early.html)

JessKeller24 April 25th, 2013 06:53 PM

Delivering early

Anyone know they will be delivering around 36-37? Or have you delivered previously around 36-37 weeks? How big was baby? Did baby have a nicu stay?

I was told at 16 weeks I'd likely deliver at 36-37 weeks due to a previous uterine rupture, but we'd wait and see how things went. Now with the cholestasis its even more likely. I've been researching and everything says to deliver by 37 weeks to prevent stillbirth. I'll be talking to the doc Wednesday and should know for sure. But it scares me delivering early!

mrsmckenzie1 April 25th, 2013 07:42 PM

Re: Delivering early

My son was born at 37 weeks. He was 6lbs 6 oz and i went home after 3 days with csection. My daughter was 32 and stayed in nicu 8 days for breathing issues. I am a sched csec at 37 weeks due to poss uterine rupture... all babies are different but they are fighters

alittlelost April 25th, 2013 08:32 PM

My first child was born at 36 weeks, induced for pre-e but had already started dilating at 32 weeks due to incompetent cervix. He was 5lbs 9oz. No NICU stay.

My second was born at 35 weeks, premature rupture of membranes, due to incompetent cervix. I had started dilating at 28 weeks and was 4cm dilated by 32 weeks but made it to 35 weeks. She was 6lbs 3oz. No NICU stay.

My third was born at 37 weeks, natural rupture of membranes. When I arrived at the birth center, I was 7cm dilated, which is probably what caused my water to break. He was 7lbz 2.5oz. No NICU stay.

From what I understand, my kids birth weights were really good for their gestation and the lack of NICU stay for my 35 and 36 weeker was considered unusual. Hope this helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsmckenzie1 (Post 27317142)
My son was born at 37 weeks. He was 6lbs 6 oz and i went home after 3 days with csection. My daughter was 32 and stayed in nicu 8 days for breathing issues. I am a sched csec at 37 weeks due to poss uterine rupture... all babies are different but they are fighters

That is fantastic! I think girls are stronger when born early! Only 8 days when born at 32 weeks is amazing :)

Pbear31 April 25th, 2013 08:48 PM

Most hospitals have a "must-go-to-NICU" cutoff. I know mine is 35, anything after that they will play by ear and go off of cues from baby.

mrsmckenzie1 April 25th, 2013 08:59 PM

Yea i have heard girls do better born early. I also heard if you have contractions i develops the baby more too.

mamalamb April 25th, 2013 10:01 PM

DD1 was born at exactly 36 weeks. Induction was started at 35w 4d. She was 5 pounds even and did have a NICU stay of either 7 or 9 days...might have been 10...? She was having feeding problems, couldn't maintain her body temperature, and had some jaundice. She did have a feeding tube for a few days but no breathing issues. She had bad reflux as a baby and lactose issues but she is fine now :)

DD2 was 39 weeks, 7 pounds 11 ounces, no issues :)

JessKeller24 April 26th, 2013 03:43 AM

See that's what I'm more worried about is feeding issues. Lungs should be ready at 37 weeks, but feeding and regulating body temp I'm not sure when the average baby has developed those skills. My last was 39 weeks and had a 2 day nicu stay , due to fluid in his lungs, and it was hell and I don't think I could deal with leaving my baby.

mom2K&G April 26th, 2013 05:06 AM

DS was born at 38 weeks. He was 9ibs 9oz, 23 inches long.

alittlelost April 26th, 2013 06:23 AM

Plan on doing some kangaroo care :) that helps with feeding and temp regulation.

JessKeller24 April 26th, 2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alittlelost (Post 27317789)
Plan on doing some kangaroo care :) that helps with feeding and temp regulation.

I'm hoping to do skin to skin right away in the OR, I may cry if they say no. That's another thing, I haven't seen the OB that will do my surgery yet so I haven't talked about it, but I'm planning on a gentle csection, hoping they will agree and baby will be good so I can hold her right away. I didn't get to hold my youngest nail he was about 18 hrs old, it was hell.

BeachMum April 26th, 2013 06:28 AM

The thing is some babies born at 35 weeks are fine with their lungs and some born at 38 weeks are NOT. It just depends on the baby. I would ask for steroids for the baby's lungs starting around 33 weeks. I had preterm labor and early deliveries with #2 and #3. #2 was born at 36 weeks and didn't stay in the NICU and nursed great. He was 6 lbs, 10.25 oz.

#3 was 5 weeks early and spent a week in the NICU because of his lungs. He nursed and ate well once they started feeding him.

We didn't get the shots for their lungs and caucasian baby boys are usually the slowest to develop their lungs and caucasian baby girls are usually pretty quick.

I'm glad your doctor is monitoring you and I hope you and baby make it to delivery without complications. I can't imagine how scared you are.

JessKeller24 April 26th, 2013 06:40 AM

I knew from 16 weeks I may deliver early, but now that may is a almost certain. And it does scare me, and all these other people always asking how t self induce at 37 weeks or how to talk their doc into an early induction for no reason makes me mad. And after some research I read about 60% of women with it go into preterm labor. And labor plus a thin scar don't mix. I guess I'm more worried about preterm labor and rupturing and not knowing it, since with my daughter I ruptured and the only sign I had was bleeding, my bp was fine, baby wasnt in distress, and I wasn't in any pain. And then I read you are more likely to hemmorage and that doesn't mix well with a csection and I'm guessing since I was severely anemic the last two times, I will be this time too. I'm glad this is the last baby for us, because if t was my first I'd most likely have an only child!

soccermamatomany April 26th, 2013 09:12 AM

My twins were born at 37 weeks exactly and weighed 5lbs5oz and 5lbs2oz. They were discharged with me after 4 days (c-section).

Fins April 26th, 2013 10:03 AM

my DD was born at 36/37 weeks. No NICU stay and she was 7 lbs. I really think they effed up on my due date though. She acted and reacted like a full term baby.

mamalamb April 26th, 2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2RickyRanaJavier (Post 27317480)
See that's what I'm more worried about is feeding issues. Lungs should be ready at 37 weeks, but feeding and regulating body temp I'm not sure when the average baby has developed those skills. My last was 39 weeks and had a 2 day nicu stay , due to fluid in his lungs, and it was hell and I don't think I could deal with leaving my baby.

From what I was told when we were going through it with DD1, by several drs/pedis/nurses/neonatologists/etc, was that 35-36 weekers are notorious for having the feeding/temp issues/reflux, that it is very very common at that stage (though not all!) 37+ weekers are usually pretty well cooked and ready to go LOL. I will be praying you make it at least to 37 weeks! :)

BirdsWifey April 26th, 2013 09:13 PM

I think I will! I had DS1 at 37 weeks he was 9lbs and 22inches. DS2 was born at 36 weeks and was 8lbs 20 inches. They both came completely on their own! Both came home from the hospital with me the day after I had them!

tparum April 28th, 2013 12:16 AM

Ive always had early babys my ds was at 35was a nicu baby for 2 wks and dd was at 36 wks and stayed in the reg nurserie for a extra 3days ds was 5lbs 13ozs and dd 6lbs 2ozs if i think right