JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   August 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/)
-   -   How doyou know when its labor? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/2646794-how-doyou-know-when-its-labor.html)

JessKeller24 April 29th, 2013 10:30 AM

How doyou know when its labor?

I've only ever been in labor once, when I was induced with my first. And I really didn't feel anything until about 5cms. Now that I have this ICP, and one of the side effects is preterm labor, it has me worried I'll go into labor and not know it. Ive been crampy lately too. So how do I know when its normal crampiness or labor?

mamalamb April 29th, 2013 10:50 AM

Re: How doyou know when its labor?

How do *I* know? When they hook up the Pitocin. :/ Lol

Anchored April 29th, 2013 10:53 AM

I don't know :\ I was induced too.

But, my thought would be that there's no mistaking it? lol
If you have anything remotely close to your labor pains (after your induction), I would call the Ob to be safe

cameronzmom April 29th, 2013 10:54 AM

A common sign is bloody show which is pretty nasty discharge! I had my membranes stripped with my son so I had instant hard contractions and was induced with my daughter so I havent' actually been in labor on my own...yet.

Not sure what this one will be like...

Dirtroads April 29th, 2013 11:03 AM

Good question and I hope someone can answer it. I never went into labor with my first, that is why I had to have a C-section. I had pre-e and they gave me different drugs but labor never happened. They showed me on the monitor that I was having contractions but the back pain wasn't anything unusual to me so, I wonder if I'll know before its too late.

FL Mama April 29th, 2013 11:11 AM

For me, I just knew. I didn't have BH, bloody show, or noticeably lost my mucus plug with either of my boys and they were both one day late. The contractions felt like really bad period cramps, and I could feel my uterus tightening (like someone was hugging it, but there was nobody there). Also, they came at regular intervals - that was a big "here's your sign" moment. LOL!!

UrbanMomma April 29th, 2013 11:33 AM

I hear that contractions feel like a tightening starting in the back and moving around to the front. That they start coming at regular intervals and getting closer together as labor progresses.

BUT...I have NEVER had a labor like this. My contrax always felt like the worlds worst period cramps, I can feel them all in my crotch (sorry tmi...LOL). Mine never get regular or closer together until the bitter end, and I am talking 9-10 cm, maybe. My contrax will go 3min-7min-5min-9min-3min through my whole labor.

The only way I know is it just doesn't stop, and I am usually 4-14 days "overdue."

Dandelion April 29th, 2013 11:37 AM

I knew it was labor when I started having contractions. :cheer: and when they start coming more frequent and close together, then I head to the hospital.

Feels like a increasingly painful tightening. Starts off just as annoying and graduates to... ouch! Imagine extreme cramps.

mommy_to_nico April 29th, 2013 12:19 PM

with my son my water broke, then an hr later i had sharp pain and i was crying, it hurt bad and it came and went, then i felt like i had to poop and i was ready to deliever, with in 2 hrs my son was born at 4:41 am :)

Kelllilee April 29th, 2013 01:06 PM

with my first there was no question. I went from 0-60 right away. It was pretty obvious. Felt like strong BH with radiating pain around back

Second, I thought I was having constipation pain until I realized they were coming at regular intervals. I didn't really question that it was "real" labor once I realized that. Felt like a blow torch to the lower back lol

Third I had several days of stop-start labor before the real thing, so it was a little harder to tell. Felt like a burning sensation that went from groin to the top of my uterus and then spread around to my back.

I think with pre-term labor I would get checked out anytime I noticed regularly spaced contractions for more than an hour or two.

Hesperleigh April 29th, 2013 01:52 PM

My water broke. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known because I had back labor. Oh, and even when my water broke I wasn't sure because it was a trickle and not a gush!

lam April 29th, 2013 09:19 PM

I had back labor with both (wheeee!) and there was no mistaking it when it kicked in. I had had some on-again/off-again stuff going on here and there for a few days prior, but real labor meant painful contractions every couple of minutes that I couldn't ignore. However, I know some women who say that their ctx were mild and built up slowly over time. So I guess the story is that everybody is different and you should get checked out if you have anything crop up that's making you question it.