JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   August 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Doula? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/2646838-doula.html)

ElliotsMommy13 April 29th, 2013 12:15 PM

Doula?

I wasn't even going to consider it.. but being single and doing the labor alone, Im starting to think maybe I should.. I found a lady who does it for a $500 flat fee and can offer payment plans and discounts depending on what is needed. I am thinking I can do $300 because I dont necessarily need her to come to any prenatal visits or cook for me and that is included.. Has anyone had amazing experiences/wouldnt do without? alternatively, would anyone say it is really pointless?

Kelllilee April 29th, 2013 12:16 PM

Re: Doula?

In your situation I would say TOTALLY worth it. I'm hiring a doula this time. I've yet to meet anyone who regrets hiring a doula :)

Bookreader April 29th, 2013 12:35 PM

If I had a doula available in my area (we are REALLY rural), I would TOTALLY have a doula. I have a couple friends who have had one and they adored that extra support.

UrbanMomma April 29th, 2013 12:38 PM

I think it would be great for you! I have never had one, thought about it, but just never got around to it.

Babsbabies April 29th, 2013 02:46 PM

I've never had one, but have thought about it. If I was in your shoes, I'd definitely do it!

Ruthysb April 29th, 2013 03:34 PM

I am starting to look into getting a doula. Since I had a lot of trouble with my previous labor and delivery I think I need all the support I can get. Also, my partner doesn't really understand why I don't just get another c-section. I just emailed one for the first time. I really want to find someone who I click with well and am nervous about finding that person. I tried to get personal referrals but it is hard (there aren't that many around here). Also, another thing that is available in my area is someone who is training to be a doula but needs more births so they will do it for free. I feel like I need a lot of support so I am not considering this, but it might be a good option for you. Good luck!

alittlelost April 29th, 2013 04:06 PM

If I were in your situation, I would DEFINITELY get a doula. And if she'll do $300 for you, that's a GREAT price!

Husher April 29th, 2013 04:48 PM

I agree that you should definitely hire one if you can afford it! I've never had one (my DH is amazing and I have learned that I really just want everyone to leave me alone when I'm in labor), but I know several people who have hired doulas and they couldn't stop raving about it. I say go for it!

kjm April 29th, 2013 07:00 PM

I won't because I like to keep the people involved to a minimum, but if DH wasn't going to be there I would. And I would love her to cook for me :P You will probably really want that after labor!

BabyT_heart_beat April 29th, 2013 09:50 PM

I have tossed the idea around. I think I would benefit greatly because I am really interested in hypnobabies and am not sure DH would be up for the long journey..lol. Plus I am extremely nervous that I may lose focus and give up and I think she would be a great support.

ElliotsMommy13 April 29th, 2013 10:09 PM

hmm. I do like my space and have been very hands off this whole pregnancy and not wanting people near me.. but I think I will leave it up in the air.. If I can afford to pay it in June sometime I will see if there is space to book with her.. If not, then I will pass. It sounds like a great deal practically.. just not sure how hormones and emotions will go. :P

alittlelost April 30th, 2013 12:02 PM

doulas will usually be as hands off as you want. I'm sure yours would be happy to go just as an advocate for your medical rights.

Kayla_7602 April 30th, 2013 12:06 PM

I agree if I was in your situation I would want a doula! But I have no experience with one to share :)