JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   August 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/)
-   -   BTDT Mommies!!! Question For Ya :) (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/2647391-btdt-mommies-question-for-ya.html)

MommyPenguin4 May 1st, 2013 09:38 AM

BTDT Mommies!!! Question For Ya :)

Hey ladies! Which is better:

Vasonline or Baby Powder at diaper changes?

Which did you use with your babies and what are your thoughts on them?!

I've heard people tell me baby powder to keep them dry but then I've heard Vasoline because it makes messy poo easier to clean up and protects their skin against diaper rash.

I'm going to stock both but I want to know if there's a trick to deciding which is the best one to use :P

Norwegian mom May 1st, 2013 09:44 AM

Re: BTDT Mommies!!! Question For Ya :)

Neither! And he never had a single diaper rash. Air drying is the best.

JessKeller24 May 1st, 2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyPenguin4 (Post 27331434)
Hey ladies! Which is better:

Vasonline or Baby Powder at diaper changes?

Which did you use with your babies and what are your thoughts on them?!

I've heard people tell me baby powder to keep them dry but then I've heard Vasoline because it makes messy poo easier to clean up and protects their skin against diaper rash.

I'm going to stock both but I want to know if there's a trick to deciding which is the best one to use :P

Neither. And defiantly not powder on a girl. If a rash develops coconut oil!

alittlelost May 1st, 2013 10:06 AM

I am also going to say neither. We've tried every diaper powder/cream/solution on the planet, and they always gave my children TERRIBLE rashes (and I'd end up needing prescription cream to clear things up) but if I leave it alone, they almost never get rashes, and when they do, washing with soap and water after every change and giving a little air time would have it cleared up within a day.

MommyPenguin4 May 1st, 2013 10:18 AM

Oh WOW!!! So not what I expected! Ok awesome thanks ladies! :D So just clean up with wipes (i'm getting the sensitive ones) and let it air dry and then put on a fresh diaper correct? Sounds easier than having to deal with creams anyway :P

I was worried because I have SUPER sensitive skin INCLUDING down there (sorry if TMI!) so I'm trying to prepare just in case Baby Rose has uber sensitive skin like me! Well.... I mean I know she will obviously being a baby and all but I meant even more so than normal :P

FL Mama May 1st, 2013 10:24 AM

Neither. First, NO baby powder. It's not safe to breathe in for you or baby. It's totally unnecessary. I've never even owned any. :) As far as vaseline, I've never heard of people using it on their babies bums. The only time I used it was after my boys' circumcisions. Otherwise, I don't see why you would need it. If baby has a rash use a diaper cream or other remedy (like just giving their little bum some fresh air). If there is no rash then you (or baby, rather) is good to go - no extras needed. :)

soccermamatomany May 1st, 2013 10:24 AM

I am going to say neither as well.

alittlelost May 1st, 2013 10:57 AM

If you worry your LO might have sensitive skin, then definitely skip any powders or lotions as much as you can. Just change frequently.

Colliekat May 1st, 2013 11:40 AM

I also have to say neither. Powder can cause respiratory distress, so that is a huge no-no. Vaseline can create a barrier sealing moisture in and creating a nice environment for yeast and bacterial infections.

MommyPenguin4 May 1st, 2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colliekat (Post 27331779)
Vaseline can create a barrier sealing moisture in and creating a nice environment for yeast and bacterial infections.

Never thought of that too! Infections.... eww no thank you lol

Thanks! :D

Bookreader May 1st, 2013 02:00 PM

DS and I both have really sensitive skin, too. Baby powder is AWFUL if baby has sensitive skin; there are tons of fragrances, preservatives, and talc (a common allergen) in most powders.
I agree with everyone else about really frequent changing. It doesn't matter what cream you have on their bum, if you leave a sensitive bum in a dirty diaper for 20 minutes you're going to pay for it.
When DS does get any kind of rash, Vaseline is a great choice to protect them from further irritation. I also love Calmoseptine. It's awesome stuff for sensitive little ones.

HollyNE2 May 1st, 2013 02:59 PM

I agree with the other ladies, no baby powder. I've never used Vaseline to prevent a rash, but I did use A & D ointment or Butt Paste if my boys had rashes and those creams worked great. I wouldn't recommend Desitin....in my experience of using it on my kids..it made their rashes burn terribly!

Kelllilee May 1st, 2013 03:14 PM

Another vote for neither! The only time I use anything is IF they get a rash (which has only happened a handful of times). Then I use bag balm.

.H.e.a.t.h.e.r. May 1st, 2013 03:36 PM

I've never used either.

cameronzmom May 1st, 2013 04:08 PM

we dont use either.

AprylLynn May 1st, 2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FL Mama (Post 27331541)
Neither. First, NO baby powder. It's not safe to breathe in for you or baby. It's totally unnecessary. I've never even owned any. :) As far as vaseline, I've never heard of people using it on their babies bums. The only time I used it was after my boys' circumcisions. Otherwise, I don't see why you would need it. If baby has a rash use a diaper cream or other remedy (like just giving their little bum some fresh air). If there is no rash then you (or baby, rather) is good to go - no extras needed. :)

I was going to say same thing. Baby powered is not safe to breathe in. I never put cream unless there is a rash. If there is then I used triple paste or A&D for overnight and during the day. Also airing out is great too. I know some mommies who have used breast milk on a rash and they swear by it. So that is also a thing to use if there is a rash.

UrbanMomma May 1st, 2013 05:55 PM

I agree with all the other ladies, and honestly only use wipes when absolutely needed, like a big diaper blowout.

mamalamb May 1st, 2013 06:33 PM

Neither! *IF* they get a rash then I usually just use vaseline at that point, but we have been lucky so far and not had that many :)

jessicag May 1st, 2013 06:47 PM

Nothing :)

Babsbabies May 1st, 2013 07:04 PM

Another vote for nothing. I only use any sort of cream if they have a bad rash, and it's pretty rare. I will say that I had no idea that baby powder was such a no-no until I was pregnant with my first and my husband of all people was the one to enlighten me.