JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   August 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/)
-   -   What do you need for a newborn? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/2652990-what-do-you-need-for-newborn.html)

round2t May 23rd, 2013 02:10 PM

What do you need for a newborn?

My mind is just all over the place and I can't even think straight anymore.

Anyway, due to complications and chances of PTL and just too many "what-if's", I have told my sister not to do anymore planning and not to have a shower. I'm the kind of person that needs to have everything planned out and with so much unknown I don't want to have something scheduled if I'm going to be on bedrest or if she could potentially be here already by the time my shower would be. I don't know. It wasn't planned much at all in the first place so by the time we got everything together it might be too late.

We are all set with a carseat and somewhere for her to sleep - but now my head is just spinning.

Besides a bath, bath supplies, feeding supplies, diapers, clothing, etc.... what on earth is necessary? I need a list of what we need to get soon. Just planning on the bare necessities right now. I'll worry about other stuff later on.

:sneak: I thought as women we had the right to ENJOY our pregnancies. I don't want to ever do this again after the headache this has caused me the last 7ish months. Sounds terrible but I have just been a ball of stress and anxiety since the day I found out I was pregnant.

Thanks ladies.

miniRazz May 23rd, 2013 02:53 PM

Re: What do you need for a newborn?

Blankets/swaddlers/sleep sacs (depending on what you prefer to use)
Soother
Nipple pads and cream

Sorry you've had so much anxiety, you're right we are supposed to be able to sit back and enjoy the 9 months of growing our little miracles and not be stressed.

Take care ((HUGS))

soccermamatomany May 23rd, 2013 03:08 PM

I'd add stroller, swing, diaper bag, receiving blankets and wash cloths to your list.

cameronzmom May 23rd, 2013 03:43 PM

Diaper bag is a must. I'd also say either a swing or a bouncer but most likely you wont need both. Pacifiers and bottles if you're planning to use them and blankets. Clothes of course, everything else truly isnt a requirement.

Bookreader May 23rd, 2013 04:01 PM

Clothes, blankets, diapers, wipes, bum cream in case LO needs it, bottles.
You'll get some pacifiers, formula samples, diapers, lotion, and baby bath from the hospital. I wouldn't buy any until you know what you need and what baby prefers.
As for big things like swings/bouncers, if there is any way you can borrow one of each for a month or so, it may save you a lot of money. My DS LOVED the swing, hated the bouncer and rocker. Other babies hate them all or love a random one.
Honestly, though, you will be surprised by how much of the "must-haves" everyone talks about that you will actually feel you desperately need the first few weeks. Most of it can be collected over the first few weeks, so don't stress too much about having everything all ready. Every mommy is different in her needs/wants for baby, and you'll only figure that out after baby is here. For example, I HATED pre-swaddled blankets (the ones with the snaps that are inescapable-HA) and gowns with the big open hole at the bottom. But, I've met mommies who swear by both. Trial and error works for the first little bit.
Good luck!

Momma2Chase May 23rd, 2013 05:18 PM

I have to say, I definitely didn't get a baby bath, pacifiers, lotion, or extra diapers from the hospital so I wouldn't count on that unless you know for sure your hospital will! :)

I think the NECESSITIES are:

Crib/pack n play/bassinet/cosleeper (SOMETHING for her to sleep in)
Carseat
Stroller
DEFINITELY a swing or bouncer! Something for you to put her in to get stuff done

Diaper time:
Diapers
Wipes
Some type of cream for rashes

Bath time/hygiene:
Baby shampoo/soap
I don't think you necessarily NEED a bath at first- back in the day our parents just layered towels in the kitchen sink and one parent held baby in there while the other washed lol
Nail clippers: I'd say this is a MUST! DS scratched his cheek at about 2 DAYS OLD and he still has the scar at almost 4! Cut those little nails asap!
Towels
Washcloths

Clothes:
Onesies, light weight pants, sleepers are probably all you need to start with and you could add the cutesy stuff later on.
Mittens and socks

Lightweight blankets, swaddle blankets/woombie/halo sleep sac/ etc

Feeding:
If breastfeeding, I'd stock up on nipple pads and creams
Maybe a pump? (plus bottles etc for pumping)

If formula, bottles and stock up on formula beforehand.

Diaper bag

mamalamb May 23rd, 2013 05:41 PM

(((Hugs)))))

My *personal* must have list for newborn/first few weeks is:

For baby:

Onesies
Diapers
Wipes
Swaddling blankets/woombie
Baby wash
Washcloths
Baby towel
Nail clippers
Gripe water or gas drops
Pacifiers
Burp cloths
Bottles for pumped milk
Storage bags for breast milk
Breast pump
Car seat
Pack n play/bassinet
Bath sponge for sink
Diaper bag/big purse
socks
hats
Bouncer
Stroller

For me:

Motrin
Dermoplast spray
Ice packs
Huge maxi pads
Extra underwear
Breast pads
Nipple cream

Sorry you are feeling so anxious! ((((Hugs))))

Bookreader May 23rd, 2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momma2Chase (Post 27390651)
I have to say, I definitely didn't get a baby bath, pacifiers, lotion, or extra diapers from the hospital so I wouldn't count on that unless you know for sure your hospital will! :)

Sorry for the lack of clarity; I mean baby bath as in bath wash. I wish our hospital gave us a bath! Lol. Our hospital does really well giving tons of samples of things. It was SO nice with DS, because I was able to try a lot of products before spending money on them.

Momma2Chase May 23rd, 2013 08:07 PM

Ohh! lol!! I was thinking you had one awesome hospital!!!! :D

UrbanMomma May 24th, 2013 06:19 AM

My must have list is boob or bottle/formula, diapers, clothing, light blanket, bassinet and sling. Baby and I can live without everything else.

BeachMum May 25th, 2013 07:27 AM

My list that I still need to get:
- newborn cloth diapers
- gowns (we like the gowns they sleep in for jammies)
- onesies
- burp cloths
- gas drops
- light blankets
- baby bath
- baby lotion/soap
- carseat

cypressmama May 25th, 2013 03:07 PM

I agree that a lot of different moms will tell you different things. But I personally found for us the things we needed in the first three months were ;
Diapers/wipes
Breast pump /bottles
Sleepers/onesies
Socks/hand mittens
A place to sleep (bassinets are great)
Infant Carrier
A few light blankets
A few warm fuzzy blankets

Beyond that anything else is extra and you can get after baby gets here.

Things like bouncers/swings are nice but not necessary and if your kiddo is like mine they will hate the swing love the bouncer
Or could live in the swing. Before spending a ton on one or the other if you have a friend with either you could borrow to try out I would totally do that