JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   August 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Iron Supplements? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/2658181-iron-supplements.html)

cameronzmom June 12th, 2013 03:58 PM

Iron Supplements?

Are you taking them? What mg are you taking? Are you also taking a stool softener?

I have to start taking them and they've always made me really really sick so I'm kinda scared to try again.

mirdeemrlvs June 12th, 2013 04:08 PM

Re: Iron Supplements?

Which one makes you sick? I was taking iron, but when they did my blood at the beginning of pregnancy, they said my iron was fine and stop taking the supplements.

I've been fine with taking stool softeners up until this last bought of diarrhea. Now I'm afraid to take them again. Luckily, I"ve had a bm everyday so I haven't had to. But, if you start taking iron you'll probably need the stool softener.

mom2K&G June 12th, 2013 04:12 PM

Yup! I am on 65mg of iron supplements and they gave me stool softeners in case I need them. I haven't had to take the softeners YET!

I'm not feeling sick or anything.. I actually feel like I have a little bit more energy.

JessKeller24 June 12th, 2013 04:19 PM

Not yet, which surprised me, I've been anemic with the other kids. Severely anemic with the last two. I was very close to needing a transfusion with the last two kids at delivery.

Anchored June 12th, 2013 04:42 PM

I'm on iron supplements (ill have to check how many mg), but not taking a stool softener. So far I don't need anything thankfully

cameronzmom June 12th, 2013 04:46 PM

I'm on 325 mg of Ferrous Sulfate, once a day.

All iron pills make me sick but they said I need to *try* to take them before we try any other options.

I'm worried about constipation, haven't had any issues yet but one of the side effects says constipation so I'm a little worried.

UrbanMomma June 12th, 2013 05:05 PM

I always have low iron but I take liquid chlorophyll for it. If you aren't into herbal remedies, a liquid supplement may be easier for you, Floradix is a good one.

mirdeemrlvs June 12th, 2013 07:44 PM

Spinach is a really great source of iron. It can be chopped and added to salad, put into smoothies (my kids don't even care) to pizzas, pasta dishes, etc... and also cooking with a cast iron pan helps too!

Colliekat June 12th, 2013 07:53 PM

I'm taking Ferralet 90 mg tablets. If I eat dairy within 2-3 hours of taking it, I get horrendous cramping and diarrhea. Had that issue last night after eating ice cream and totally forgot until it was too late!

lexiandolive June 13th, 2013 06:57 AM

I have been put on either 30 or 300mg of Iron pillls. I don't have a problem, with them, but I probably should be taking stool softeners. I used benefibre last pregnancy, but it is not being sold anymore. Oh, how I miss it. I've used the other fibre supplement that goes in water in early pregnancy, but it gave me bad gas. I think I need to start taking it again though.

MissCiara June 13th, 2013 10:47 AM

I am taking 325 mg of iron. Cranberry juice and probiotics is keeping me moving.