JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   August 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Isabel updates (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/2659484-isabel-updates.html)

alittlelost June 18th, 2013 06:03 AM

Isabel updates

We saw her last night. She is off the light treatment and tolerating feeds through her tube up to 11cc. I am sure that number will be up even higher today. Once it's up high enough they will wean her off the IV. She has sucked on a pacifier already, too. She has to wean off the warmer still and learn to eat, so it could still be 2-4 weeks before she comes home, but she is doing great. The NICU doctor said most 33 weekers do great but that she is going great even for a 33 weeker. She still has not needed any assistance breathing.

I am pumping milk for her every 2-3 hours. It's weird because breastfeeding this time hadn't been the highest importance to me and my husband had actually preferred I didn't, but then she was born at 33 weeks and getting breastmilk became suddenly extra important (to me AND husband), so here we are, not only using breastmilk but pretty much I'm a slave to making milk at this point.

Isabel is down to 3lbs 5.8oz which to be honest I don't think is too bad! I am not sure when they stop losing and start gaining, though, but I felt good about her weight last night when they told me. She is SO tiny but I swear she has such a sweet personality already and she makes these little happy expressions sometimes while we are holding her and talking to her.

Hesperleigh June 18th, 2013 06:13 AM

Re: Isabel updates

I'm so glad she is doing well! I hope you are recovering quickly, too. I think about you guys all the time --- in a totally non-stalker way, even though I do kind of stalk your posts. LOL.

Pbear31 June 18th, 2013 06:32 AM

Lost, this is a great update! Its great that she is already showing signs of wanting to eat. Have they allowed her to do non nutritive eating yet? It's when you pump till empty and then let her "practice" nursing. It did wonders for my supply, helped us bond, and gave Zeb practice. We started w a nipple shield so that his little mouth could latch. The first time we tried it was on the right and that boob always outperformed lefty after that.

Also, get a sports bra and cut small holes over the nipples to hold the shields, this will free up your hands to massage...which probably increased my supply by 50%. Zeb left.the NICU without having mastered nursing and then I was nervous he wasnt getting enough. I ended up exclusively pumping for 10 months...so let me know if you want more pumping tips.

Honestlymonique June 18th, 2013 06:42 AM

Sounds like a fighter. She ready to go home! Glad to hear everything is going good.

mom2K&G June 18th, 2013 06:52 AM

Aww such a strong lil fighter! Thank you so much for the update I have been thinking about you guys a lot lately! Btw.. I LOVE the name!:D

alittlelost June 18th, 2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pbear31 (Post 27456554)
Lost, this is a great update! Its great that she is already showing signs of wanting to eat. Have they allowed her to do non nutritive eating yet? It's when you pump till empty and then let her "practice" nursing. It did wonders for my supply, helped us bond, and gave Zeb practice. We started w a nipple shield so that his little mouth could latch. The first time we tried it was on the right and that boob always outperformed lefty after that.

Also, get a sports bra and cut small holes over the nipples to hold the shields, this will free up your hands to massage...which probably increased my supply by 50%. Zeb left.the NICU without having mastered nursing and then I was nervous he wasnt getting enough. I ended up exclusively pumping for 10 months...so let me know if you want more pumping tips.

No, they haven't even let me do kangaroo care with her yet. Lots of rules and requirements there before they allow certain things. I wish they would let me try nursing her though because I think she would actually go for it! She is definitely rooting when I hold her if I put my finger near her lips.

I need a sports bra int he worst way. I would hate to be pumping for so long, but I realize that might happen if she struggles to move to breast after all of this. I will have to get tips from you if that happens. It must feel like feeding baby twice--pumping than feeding--which takes more time than just feeding directly.

Thanks everyone :) Glad everyone likes the name, too. We will probably call her Izzy :P

Dandelion June 18th, 2013 07:37 AM

So glad to read Isabel is doing well! She's a beautiful little girl. <3 I hope you are also improving, mama!! I love seeing your updates

Anchored June 18th, 2013 07:44 AM

Thank you for updating us! She is a little cutie, that's for sure! I'm so glad she's thriving!!! I hope she's able to go home with you as soon as possible! (And I hope they will let you try to nurse soon!)

alittlelost June 18th, 2013 07:44 AM

I am improving. I don't feel GREAT and I still have TERRIBLE swelling, but it's mostly just in my calves and ankles and feet again (instead of all over). Maybe in a couple weeks I can even get my wedding ring back on :)

I also lost 12 lbs since I've been home (all water weight, I'm sure) so I know that I'm improving in swelling because of that :)

mamalamb June 18th, 2013 07:45 AM

She sounds like she is doing amazing!!!! She actually sounds like she is about where Ella was after birth as far as feeding, learning to stay warm, etc, and Ella was a nearly 36 weeker. I'm so glad she is doing well :)

BeachMum June 18th, 2013 08:18 AM

So glad for a great update on her. She is doing so well compared to my 35 weeker. It's amazing the difference of girls and boys. I'm still praying for you both and I do love her name. We call our Elizabeth, Izzy sometimes (not Lizzie).

Irishgirl99 June 18th, 2013 08:27 AM

Thanks for keeping us updated. Sounds like she's doing really well!

UrbanMomma June 18th, 2013 08:33 AM

Glad to hear she is doing well!!!

Colliekat June 18th, 2013 08:43 AM

I think it is simply amazing that she is doing so well at this stage. It just proves that she has a little personality of being a fighter. Please keep the updates coming and of course pics :)

Pbear31 June 18th, 2013 08:48 AM

I am surprised about the kangaroo care...dont be afraid to be persistent. I know at first it feels like you are imposing to ask questions, etc...but i would keep asking. Ive seen 28weekers doing k care. Maybe when her IV comes out?

I know you aren't confrontational by nature, but kangaroo care is like mama crack and will help baby, too.

Fins June 18th, 2013 08:52 AM

I love hearing your updates. I'm so happy things are going well!
I'm thinking about you constantly, if you ever need anything let me know!

Husher June 18th, 2013 08:53 AM

SO happy to hear that Isabel is doing so well! I hope you continue to improve as well! :dothug:

soccermamatomany June 18th, 2013 09:14 AM

Sounds like she is doing better than can be expected, which is great!!! I bet your little overachiever will be home before you know it!! Keep up the great work Isabel!

mirdeemrlvs June 18th, 2013 09:18 AM

aww.. thanks so much for the update! Sounds like she's a little trooper!!!

mommy_to_nico June 18th, 2013 10:29 AM

glad all is going well prayers to you are her are continued! :)