JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   August 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Questions for experienced breastfeeding and pumping moms! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/2666121-questions-for-experienced-breastfeeding-and-pumping-moms.html)

Momma2Chase July 16th, 2013 05:26 PM

Questions for experienced breastfeeding and pumping moms!

First off-- should I be bringing my pump to the hospital? Or just worry about exclusively BFing while there?

I plan to pump and BF, so is okay to give her a pacifier in the hospital? (My son wouldn't take one anyway so this may be a non-issue) I know about nipple confusion but I'm wondering if I pump too if it'll still be a problem

What other items do I need? I have the pump- but like breast pads (what kind?), cream (what kind?), etc

Jessmom July 16th, 2013 06:18 PM

Re: Questions for experienced breastfeeding and pumping moms!

I can't imagine you will need your pump at the hospital. Not a lot comes out right away and if you do need it they should have an electric one for you to use. Additionally I think the skin to skin and BF is best for that first day or two.

In my experience nipple confusion is entirely up to each baby some get it some don't. Pumping will have no impact. As for lotion nothing is better than our own milk. Just hand express a couple of drops and gently rub on sore areas. Best for you and baby.

Take care when showering not to use soap and let air dry or pat dry as towel drying in the first days or weeks can be uncomfortable and cause increased tenderness.

Washable breathable breast pads are best. Look for cotton or a bambo cotton mix.

Hope this helps.

cameronzmom July 16th, 2013 06:22 PM

I wouldn't pump while in hospital. If you plan to use a pacifier often, then introduce in the hospital so baby will learn both latches. Most babies if started with both at the beginning have no issues, its trying to introduce the pacifier later that latch issues happen I believe. I would exclusively bf for the first 2 weeks at least then start pumping but I've never pumped before so when (if) I do it this time, I won't even know where to start lol

mrsmckenzie1 July 16th, 2013 06:26 PM

You will not need a pump at the hospital. Focus on exclusively breastfeeding to establish your supply for at least the first week. Why? Well your breast will supply milk for what baby is eating. If you start pumping it will tell your breast you need to make more milk leading to engorgement... ouch!
As for a pacifier, my dd wouldn't take one and my ds wouldn't till he was like 4 mths but I dk nt think it will be a problem.
When you do start pumping there are a couple ways you can go about it... you can feed her both vreast then pump or what worked well for my daughter not my son cause he was greedy... but I fed on one breast and pumped on the other...
Good luck with the booby milk... hang in there the benefits outweigh the possible frustration