JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   August 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Have a c-section scheduled (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/2666360-have-c-section-scheduled.html)

Bookreader July 17th, 2013 09:34 PM

Have a c-section scheduled

Both babies have been breech for a while, but they had lots of room to move so they did change positions pretty frequently.
At my ultrasound 3 weeks ago (31 weeks), baby boy was transverse and baby girl was breech. They warned me then that a Caesarian might be my only option, but not to stress because there was still the possibility of position change.
I had another growth check ultrasound yesterday, and both babies are completely breech now, and pretty squished in there lol. They still might move, but we scheduled a c-section for August 9th. If baby boy is head down that day (he's lower than baby girl), they will just induce me and deliver vaginally.

I am ok having a c-section, though. I had a vaginal delivery with DS, so I feel more comfortable with it and am a little nervous about a c-section, but firstly I want healthy happy babies. :)

Baby boy is estimating at 5 lbs 7 oz and baby girl is estimating 5 lbs 6 oz. Both are looking really good and seem to be doing well!

A little over 3 weeks, and I will have babies! SO excited!

MamaRuth2011 July 17th, 2013 11:18 PM

Re: Have a c-section scheduled

I have my 3rd C-section on Tuesday, July 23rd.

Bookreader July 17th, 2013 11:23 PM

Mamaruth, any advice? Like I said I'm nervous about a c-section, mostly because it is completely new territory for me.
Any "no one warned me about that!!!" things you can think of? I always feel more comfortable about something when I know as much as possible, so share away. :)

mrsmckenzie1 July 17th, 2013 11:36 PM

I will have my third csection on Aug 5... never twins but all the same a healthy baby is what is important

Irishgirl99 July 18th, 2013 04:28 AM

Good luck ladies

cameronzmom July 18th, 2013 04:59 AM

good luck! Sounds like you guys have a great plan in place!

mommy_to_nico July 18th, 2013 05:10 AM

best of luck with everything!

UrbanMomma July 18th, 2013 05:51 AM

I have had two sections. Both times the anesthesia made me sick. For 24 hours after each csection I had hot/cold flashes, the shakes and vomiting. Hopefully that does NOT happen to you. It was really awful.

Jenilope July 18th, 2013 09:41 AM

Good luck and yay for big healthy twins!

soccermamatomany July 18th, 2013 10:07 AM

So glad they are both looking good and big. One of my twins (baby A) flipped breech at 35 weeks and never flipped back down necessitating a C-section. All in all, I had a good C-section experience.

My tip is to get up as soon as they want you to and walk. That really helped with recovery. Take your pain meds on a schedule, even if you don't think you need them, for the first week. After that I pretty much didn't need anything.

Bookreader July 18th, 2013 11:16 AM

UrbanMomma, did they do a full spinal block or just an epidural?
Soccermama, thanks for the advice. This is totally new territory for me!

KMH July 18th, 2013 11:41 AM

*lurking c-section and twin Mama, just didn't have the c-section with the twins*

Quote:

Originally Posted by soccermamatomany (Post 27527076)
My tip is to get up as soon as they want you to and walk. That really helped with recovery. Take your pain meds on a schedule, even if you don't think you need them, for the first week. After that I pretty much didn't need anything.

I second this advice! The first time I got out of bed was horrific, but each time got better and better...have someone help you and take it slow. Also, taking a shower seemed impossible, but do it as soon as you can...you'll feel SO much better.

If they offer you stool softeners, take them until you know that things are working. When you have to cough or sneeze, hold a pillow tightly over your incision, otherwise it feels like your insides might fall out.

Finally, congrats on baking such big, healthy babies! You should be super-proud!!

Bookreader July 18th, 2013 12:24 PM

Thanks, KMH! I hope I remember the tip about using a pillow over the incision when I sneeze. I didn't even think of that!
I'm very, very grateful that these babes are growing so big. My dr warned me when we found out they were fraternal that they wouldn't limit one another's weight and size. (DS was 9 lb, 21 inches)
She also warned me, though, that the likelihood I would reach term was almost zero. So, I'm really grateful that everything has gone so smoothly and that these babies are staying put and baking!

UrbanMomma July 18th, 2013 03:29 PM

Honestly I have no idea. That's awful. I am not even sure what the difference is between spinal block or epidural. I do know that quite a few people in my family are sensitive to anesthesia. I don't think my experience is normal.

KMH July 18th, 2013 03:40 PM

I also had horrible shaking after both the c-section (spinal block) and VBAC (only a shot of narcotics before they used the forceps) and was told that it was related to the sudden changes in hormones, not a reaction to any drug. :confused:

Bookreader July 18th, 2013 04:35 PM

When I had DS I had severe shaking afterward as well, but it was only for about an hour. I didn't have any other problems. I had an epidural with DS and responded to it well. I'm not sure the difference between an epidural and a spinal block either. My dr and a couple of my friends have just talked about them like separate entities. I am sure I'll find out at my next appointment.
KMH, your twins were VBAC?!?!? That is totally awesome. How far along were you when your twins were born?

KMH July 18th, 2013 04:47 PM

Yes, the spinal and epidural are different. I don't remember exactly how they are different, but as the patient you really don't feel any difference. I had the spinal for my c-section, and with the twins I had to have the epidural placed but didn't have to have meds in it...they just wanted it available in case they had to do an emergency c-section. It was basically the same procedure to insert them both in your back.

Yes, the twins were a VBAC. I got lucky that one of the OBs on call when I delivered was very pro-VBAC and encouraged me to go for it. I was 33w1d at delivery...George was 4lbs12oz and Abigail was 4lbs7oz.

I hope that whatever kind of birth you have, it goes smoothly for you and the babies!

KeLLiC09 July 18th, 2013 06:59 PM

I'm having my 2nd c-section on August 12th

Bookreader July 19th, 2013 08:47 AM

Thanks, KMH! Can I ask how long your twins were in the hospital before they came home?

KMH July 19th, 2013 08:57 AM

The twins were in the NICU for 28 days. They had no major health issues at all, thank goodness! Their main issue was one all preemies have...they couldn't coordinate the suck-swallow-breathe routine necessary to eat, so they had to stay to eat and gain weight. They also each spent a couple of days under the bili lights for jaundice.

Abigail could have left the NICU a few days sooner, but since they had room available, we just kept her there until George was ready to come home. I was living at the hospital (they let me use a room and live there like it was a hotel), so it was much easier to have them both in the same place.

LOL, sorry for the long, rambling answers ;)