JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   August 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/)
-   -   FTM Looking for Epidural Advice and What to Expect (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1902-august-2013-playroom/2666698-ftm-looking-for-epidural-advice-and-what-to-expect.html)

MommyPenguin4 July 19th, 2013 10:08 AM

FTM Looking for Epidural Advice and What to Expect

Hey Ladies! :D

I'm due to give birth any day now and as it gets closer I am seriously getting more and more terrified! I was so excited at first but now because I don't know what to expect I'm kind of freaking out lol

I plan on going as long as I can without any pain medicine but knowing I have a low pain tolerance, an epidural is going to be given eventually :P My doctor knows this and my BF has been told all my wishes so he will let the nurses know as well so they tell me when it's my last chance to get an epidural done before missing that window.

So I'm asking for any advice and tips you BTDT moms can give me! What was your experience with one? What should I expect?

cameronzmom July 19th, 2013 10:23 AM

Re: FTM Looking for Epidural Advice and What to Expect

I had an epi with both my kids and will do so again.

Basically you sit up on the bed/table, arch your back towards the tech and curl your belly inwards while you look down. They stick the epi in the smallish part of your back . Mine weren't painful but I've heard that they can be. You also have to be really still so that the meds go in directly rather than off to one side or the other.

Oh and I'm the biggest wimp ever. paper cuts make me want to cry.

MyFantasticFour July 19th, 2013 10:50 AM

I'm not doing it this time because it gave me back spasms for well over a year but my biggest suggestion is to try hold off as long as you can to try not to delay the labor. I got it at 4 with my oldest but I think if I would have done it again, I would aim to wait for 6 or something.

Irishgirl99 July 19th, 2013 10:59 AM

I had it with both. Getting it in was a piece of cake. I got sooo cold after it both times though. I don't know if that happens everyone or if it's just me. But I'd take that over the contractions lol

MommyPenguin4 July 19th, 2013 11:11 AM

Thanks ladies! I'm just so worried of having back issues afterwards and getting it too early so it slows down my labor.. I just want to go into labor already and get everything over with and enjoy my little girl! LOL!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronzmom (Post 27529523)

Oh and I'm the biggest wimp ever. paper cuts make me want to cry.

Hey paper cuts hurt! :P But I'm the same way, my pain tolerance is ridiculous sometimes! I'm like come on Lisette get over it! Lol

Bookreader July 19th, 2013 11:17 AM

With DS I labored until a 6+ and was doing great. Then my dr told me they were going to break my water, and about 5 minutes after the anesthesiologist would be doing a c-section and would be unavailable for at least 1.5 hours. In other words, that was my last chance at an epidural. I decided to get one, and I swear this time I'm asking for one the second I walk in the hospital door. It was awesome! I could feel every contraction, knew exactly what was going on, my labor didnt slow at all, and I was a happy, mostly pain-free girl.
But, keep in mind that labor comes in moments, not all at once. You don't need to know what you are or aren't going to do; take it one step at a time. You'll do fine. :)

miniRazz July 19th, 2013 11:28 AM

Glad you asked this question cause I've been a little nervous about this too since I don't deal well with pain.

UrbanMomma July 19th, 2013 12:05 PM

I only had one epidural before and it was with my oldest 18 years ago. I made it all the way to a 8-9 and the nurses talked me into the meds. It completely stopped my labor for over 5 hours, and I mean I was knocked out asleep for that time. It made me shake and itchy (I had to get a shot of benadryl too). They gave me so much I couldn't feel anything from the waist down. My legs kept falling off the bed and I had to have help to get them back up.

I personally wouldn't ever get one again, and haven't. Of course I don't think anything about women who choose to. If you need it/want it and it's there...more power to you.

I do agree with whoever said wait as long as you can, because it is possible to stall your labor.

KeLLiC09 July 19th, 2013 12:31 PM

I will be 100% honest with you - getting an epidural scared the living crap out of me. When I had to go for a C-Section and they told me I needed an epidural I argued with my doctor. It honestly wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I never had any back issues after having one either.

Anchored July 19th, 2013 01:13 PM

I got one too late in the delivery. I don't remember the epidural itself being too bad pain wise and I was a wonderful thing when it kicked in... For all of 3 minutes lol

If you get it too late it won't work as I found out. So I got relief for only a couple of minutes before the contractions were back in full swing.

I ended up accidentally delivering without it, and honestly it wasn't that bad. I'm glad I got both experiences though- I'm aiming for Epi free this time but know if I need one it wasn't really that bad at all

mamalamb July 19th, 2013 01:24 PM

I got one with DD1 at about 4-5 cm, honestly, by the time they put it in, I was in so much pain from the contractions that I could have cared less and I never even felt the needle go in. It was great, I had total pain relief!

Was not able to get one with DD2 because I progressed too fast :( :( :(

Hoping I will have time to get one with Max, but we'll see lol.

carolinashore July 19th, 2013 06:30 PM

I had an epidural both times due to c-sections. The hardest part was arching my back into the c shape that they wanted. Um, big belly in the way here! With my first, I had a "lightning bolt" feeling down my left leg. Not painful, but surprising. With my second, I didn't have it.

KASHWORTH July 20th, 2013 07:00 AM

I got an epidural last time because I was induced and the Pitocin was no joke. The first time he tried they hit a nerve and it did not feel good! Then they got it but it only worked on half of my body. I agree to wait as long as you can so you don't slow labor down! Try to get a nap in right after it starts working if you can too

BeachMum July 20th, 2013 02:42 PM

4littleloves July 20th, 2013 08:34 PM

I have had 3 that have all been great. I don't want to get one this time, since I want the natural experience but I think they can be super helpful if needed.
First one was with a long labor and pitocin and I wouldn't have survived without. I was able to take a short nap after being awake the previous 36 hours. I could still feel urge to push and ctrx when it was time. At one point I actually wanted more meds than they would allow, while waiting hours for lip on cervix to move and resisting the urge to bear down, that was pretty bad even with the epi. And when they were going to sew the episiotomy I could feel it so I asked for something else to be given
Second baby I got it at 8cm and 45 min from delivery. Couldn't feel anything pain or pressure and they had to tell me when I had ctrx.
Third baby I got it at 6cm. I could still feel ctrx and felt more involved in the birth but it didn't hurt.
I guess I have had great Drs. The placements have all been great, numbed both sides, no headaches. I do clutch pillow and sit as still as possible when they put it in, which is quite a challenge with crtx.
I also get the cold feeling and get terribly itchy with epidurals. They have to give me some benadryl for that.
Once you get the epidural you will get a catheter placed and can no longer get up at all, so be ready to be bedbound.

alittlelost July 20th, 2013 08:43 PM

With my first, the epi was pushed on me until I agreed. It agitated an old back injury and while he was trying I get it in I thought I might end up paralyzed because I could feel the shooting pain of him hitting a nerve.

With my second, my blood pressure crashed so bad and I didn't respond to the medicine to bring it up again at first and I nearly died. It was a scary experience.

With my third, I didn't have an epi. That was my best beg experience ever.

With Isabel, the epi process itself was fine, but didn't work AT ALL and then I has to deal with this crazy lower back swelling (even more swollen than the rest o me at the time!!) from a reaction to the epi being placed wrong. It was scary but the swelling went away after a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

MommyPenguin4 July 21st, 2013 11:01 AM

Thanks for all the stories and advice ladies! I'm feeling a little better now since I know what can happen... sounds like it really just depends on your body and your doctor if you'll have a good experience or not :P

alittlelost July 21st, 2013 12:01 PM

I know my experiences aren't so common. I had EXCELLENT doctors administer my epis (and it was a different once/different hospital each time). My first the problem was my back injury, the second was just a bad reaction to the dosage I guess, and the third was due to there being so much swelling that it was hard to find where the epi was supposed to go. So, keep that in mind--probably won't happen to you, but yeah, I guess anything is possible. that's why they make you sign that waver saying you understand the epi comes with risks such as possible paralysis or death. They have to cover their butts, but that doesn't mean those risks are common!

oh yeah, and catheters suck. but I had to be on one this time regardless of the epi.

MommyPenguin4 July 21st, 2013 12:49 PM

Ugh that's what I hear about catheters! I'm not looking forward to that... I'm such a baby I swear lol

alittlelost July 21st, 2013 01:18 PM

Maybe you won't need the epi :) Personally, the hardest part/worst part of childbirth to me is all the stuff they do that you don't need (IVs, EPIs, etc) but this time I seemed to get hit with every **** one of them due to needing them for medical reasons. I wouldn't use them without needing them though.