JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f379-autoimmune-diseases-and-disorders/)
-   -   Looking for advice. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f379-autoimmune-diseases-and-disorders/2181624-looking-for-advice.html)

ThatGirl December 6th, 2010 08:32 AM

Looking for advice.

My knees have been bothering me for years, I just got insurance so I was finally able to see a doctor about it. He sent me to a Orthopedic Surgeon who ordered an MRI. The surgeon says that there is no sign of a tear in my meniscus or PCL as he had thought but that there is 5x the amount of fluid that there should be. He thinks that it is either Lupus or Rheumatiod Arthritis. He wants to put me on a NSAID, but suggests that I wean my 13 month old daughter first. Does anyone here have experience with such things? He also did cortisone shots in both of my knees today and told me that it won't be passed into my breastmilk but will cause me to produce less milk. I do not want to wean, but I also need to be healthy. I'm torn and absolutely sick about this.

EmG December 6th, 2010 04:38 PM

Re: Looking for advice.

Did he specify the type of NSAID? I breastfed my youngest while taking Ibuprofen regularly. I also breastfed while on diclofenac (Voltaren). I didn't have to wean until I needed to be on much stronger meds (I have lupus/kidney disease). Are they doing any lab work to get a firm diagnosis?

If you do have lupus or rheumatoid arthritis or any other autoimmune disease for that matter, it is very important to take the meds that are prescribed. Besides the pain that comes with it, these diseases untreated can cause permanent damage and your health is very important. I would say if you had to do one or the other...definitely wean and take the meds. However, you may consider calling your DDs pediatrician about the meds your doc wants you to take and get his/her opinion before you decide.

Good luck!

ThatGirl December 7th, 2010 06:57 AM

Thank you for your reply! I had blood work done by my GP for RA but he never told me the results. The doctor I am seeing now is a Orthopedic Surgeon and he is reordering labs. I am going to back to him armed with info about which nsaids are safe for bf. Echo is not ready to ween, at nearly 13 months she still gets 80% of her nutrients from bm. I've been trying to introduce cows milk in a sippy but she spits it back out. I guess it's a bit of a balancing act, trying to keep us both healthy and happy.

Mom of One January 5th, 2011 05:16 PM

If he is thinking lupus or arthritis you need to see a rhuematologist. He should refer you out. He is not the doctor who should be treating those type of diseases and those should be officially diagnosed with blood tests before starting you on meds. NSAIDs don't do crap for lupus or arthritis by itself lol! You will need a complete treatment plan and tons of research for those diseases which ever one you may or may not have. you need a proper evaluation done and a proper diagnoses done by a rhuemy. Have him refer you to one before you go any further. Lupus and arthritis are SERIOUS diseases and should not be taking lightly by popping a stupid NSAID. And you shouldn't just stop breastfeeding over that silly advice he gave you!

ThatGirl January 5th, 2011 05:42 PM

Thanks Mom of One. :) I have an appointment with my GP on Friday and I plan on asking for a referral to a Rheumatologist. I'm trying to just put this out of my mind until I can get some definite answers. There is no need for me to fret and worry when there may very well be nothing at all wrong! I don't have time to do that anyway, being a single mom and all. :lol:

Celena January 5th, 2011 08:17 PM

Mom you're a wealth of knowledge, thank you for being so helpful here!

:iagree: that you NEED to be healthy, but you also need a proper diagnosis and this dr sounds like he doesn't know is bum from a hole in a wall. (like many of the dr's I've been to, surprise surprise)

EmG January 5th, 2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celena (Post 22634905)
(like many of the dr's I've been to, surprise surprise)

I so agree with you on this one!