JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f379-autoimmune-diseases-and-disorders/)
-   -   A little nervous (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f379-autoimmune-diseases-and-disorders/2357987-little-nervous.html)

EmG June 24th, 2011 05:31 PM

A little nervous

So my youngest son has been having unexplained fevers for the last 3 months. They happen a few times a week. Sometimes he feels yucky, and other times, I notice because he's near me and burning up. Also with these fevers, the glands in his neck swell. I finally took him to the doctor a couple of days ago. He had had a bad case of influenza the end of January and I was hoping it was because of that. His doc said usually that would only be for a month or two after the illness. She did a bunch of labwork and a TB test. She did an ANA, CRP, CBC, CMP and checked for the EBvirus. Everything came back normal. I was really hoping that the EBvirus would come back abnormal. His doc is concerned because with my lupus I have never had an elevated ANA or CRP, but I have had a kidney biopsy which proved the lupus.

I now have to keep a log of his fevers and what kinds of activity he was doing before hand. She said that if it looks like he gets the fevers after he does a lot of activity, or being out in the sun/heat that that means his immune system is compromised prior to the activity. And we will have to watch him as time goes on.

I wasn't expecting that at the appointment and now I don't even know how to react. I would feel awful if my son ends up having an autoimmune disease. Especially since he is so young. I didn't start getting sick until I was 23.

amberjolie June 24th, 2011 09:25 PM

Re: A little nervous

I'm so sorry your son is going through this right now.

Hopefully there's a better explanation for his symptoms, but if it is auto-immune, hopefully they can figure it out soon so they can at least start figuring out a possible treatment for the symptoms.

I wish there was something more uplifting I could say. My thoughts are with you and your son.

MauMama June 26th, 2011 08:01 PM

I'm so sorry your little one has been so ill.

Have you and your doctor looked into autoinflammatory illnesses like FMF or TRAPS? I was clinically diagnosed with TRAPS because of the recurrent fevers I get. My daughter gets them as well. They are quite rare, unless you are from certain ethnic backgrounds, but they are actually becoming quite a common find in families.

I would be wanting to know that his lymph system is doing ok, even to the point of getting a scan. I would want every stone unturned because I know how awful it is to have such a sick kid so often.

Keep a fever log as well as a symptom log. Log things like headaches, light sensitivites, joint pains, etc.

It has been a loooooong process for us.

Celena June 26th, 2011 09:10 PM

It's weird because my oldest has gone thru periods of that as well, not as much since he's gotten older pediatrician never investigated it as much as I questioned it.

It's good to know you have a good team on your side who WILL and ARE investigating it! Please keep us posted, I'm praying it is something simple and very managable... nothing is worse than being a parent trying to watch our babies go thru an illness or something uneplainable... they're so amazing and rezliant smiling thru it all in spite of how they feel

EmG June 28th, 2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MauMama (Post 24233935)
I would be wanting to know that his lymph system is doing ok, even to the point of getting a scan. I would want every stone unturned because I know how awful it is to have such a sick kid so often.

Keep a fever log as well as a symptom log. Log things like headaches, light sensitivites, joint pains, etc.

It has been a loooooong process for us.

I have started his fever log. He also has light sensitivities. He has never complained of joint pain that I am aware of. But I am keeping a log of everything that happens until his next visit.