JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f379-autoimmune-diseases-and-disorders/)
-   -   Supportive Family/Friends (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f379-autoimmune-diseases-and-disorders/617330-supportive-family-friends.html)

the_elmel June 21st, 2007 02:44 AM

How supportive are your family and friends of your AI?
Do you know people that don't understand and just say "get over it"?

Colee June 21st, 2007 05:46 AM

How supportive are your family and friends of your AI? My dh and My Mom are VERY supportive...my Mom even more so then my husband. My Dad tries,but he just doesnt seem get it. My In Laws are just stupid,I cant even say anything else about that...

Do you know people that don't understand and just say "get over it"? I have actually had a lady at church tell me "Oh MS isnt THAT bad" :blink: I was like OK...lets trade then! After I said that she ate her words and corrected herself saying it isnt AS bad as it used to be. Yes,thats correct...but I am only 27 and it is known that everyone reaches that progressive stage eventually. I havent actually had anyone say to my face to get over it...but actions speak louder then words and I have felt those words...kwim? :confused:

the_elmel June 21st, 2007 08:14 PM

How supportive are your family and friends of your AI? I have a few select friends that are very supportive. They don't let me eat anything without reading the ingredients label themselves. Some of them even spent hours researching Celiac just so they would know how to deal with me! :lol: My family is also supportive. My Mom especially. My brothers are just boys and don't really care, but otherwise everyone in my immediate family understands. Most of them have it so they have to understand!

Do you know people that don't understand and just say "get over it"? Yes. I know a lot of people like this. It's really annoying but they usually shut up after one of my family or friends glares evily!

Motherbird June 22nd, 2007 07:05 AM

Nope, don't really have any support. It seems to be one of the problems with a disease with no outwardly signs. I look fine on the outside, so everyone assumes I'm fine. I dont' talk about it much with anyone besides my husband though (even though he doesn't really seem to get it either.) That's why it's nice to have ladies like you around who understand and can relate.

Colee June 22nd, 2007 01:47 PM

Quote:

Nope, don't really have any support. It seems to be one of the problems with a disease with no outwardly signs. I look fine on the outside, so everyone assumes I'm fine. I dont' talk about it much with anyone besides my husband though (even though he doesn't really seem to get it either.) That's why it's nice to have ladies like you around who understand and can relate.[/b]
Thats what we are here for ((HUGS))

postalchick71 June 24th, 2007 06:05 AM

My family is supportive, and the few friends that know about it are equally supportive.

I work with an idiot that asked me if I have a thyroid problem how come I'm not super skinny. I wanted to say something very mean, but I didn't give in.

TheyGrowLikeWeeds June 24th, 2007 10:04 AM

How supportive are your family and friends of your AI? I dont' feel my friends completely understand what MS is, but they are supportive and just accept things the way they are and don't ask too much other than making sure I'm doing ok. Both my parents have worked directly with MS due to their careers, so I know they are fully supportive.

Do you know people that don't understand and just say "get over it"? I've had people ask me what that is and how was I diagnosed. I've had one person ask me if it was terminal. I don't mind those questions because it seems they are just curious, but I haven't any clueless questions and dumb comments. Though I hear about it all the time, and I think it's awfully tactless of people to either make assumptions or ask forward questions based on what they don't understand.