JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Autoimmune Diseases and Disorders (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f379-autoimmune-diseases-and-disorders/)
-   -   What do you think? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f379-autoimmune-diseases-and-disorders/638197-what-do-you-think.html)

TheyGrowLikeWeeds July 8th, 2007 09:41 AM

My last pregnancy was due to IVF. None of us want to call it a failure, but we do know we are going to try again. However it was brought to my attention the possibility of using a donor egg as well as my own.

Having two eggs increases the chances of a healthy pregnancy. I might be producing less than healthy eggs so they may not be developing correctly but it's hard to see that until it happens. A donor egg might increase that chance of having a healthy baby. I also wouldn't know which one's mine and which one's the donated egg...which would still be mine, but genetically wise, I wouldn't know until after the baby grew up a bit or I'd never know if the baby looked similar to me or my husband.

A frozen, donated egg is pre-fertilized which to me is the same as adoption, but it's one step closer to having my own natural baby. I'd be at risk of having twins. As far as adoption, that was going to be our choice if IVF is not working, but adoption an egg is something I never realized was a possibility until my doctor brought it up.

Same thing with a fresh donor egg, but that's a lot more expensive, and I'd have to be on the same cycle as my donor. The positive is my husband would the be the genetic daddy of that child. The risks of twins are the same. I don't think I can afford a fresh donor egg. I'd basically be paying for someone willing to do this for me through their entire treatment. It'd definitely be worth it, but I just don't think I can afford it.

I think my fertility clinic has donated frozen eggs that I could use. I'd still pay pay for both IVF for myself (I haven't been known to make a lot of eggs which is partially why my doctor suggested it) and the donated egg, but the frozen egg wouldn't cost nearly as much as a fresh donor egg.

But if I make more viable eggs this time around, should I just use my own only? No matter what, the program I'm using gives me a free frozen cycle of my own eggs, so if the first fresh round (with donated egg included or not) doesn't work, the second frozen round is free. So I could just use one of my eggs even if I have more, and a donated egg with the increased chance that I'll get a baby out of it and not have to go through the entire process again for a while (unless I want another baby). The rest of my viable eggs would get frozen and put aside until I use them or figure out what I want to do with them.

This decision is so hard. I'm not even sure I can do it, but I do think it's worth looking into, but I'm just curious what you think.

Colee July 8th, 2007 06:17 PM

I'm probaly not the best to answer this,since I really dont know much about donor eggs. But I think it's great that your able to have the chance at having donated eggs to get pregnant...definetly something to look into.