JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Food/Feeding Support (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f93-baby-food-feeding-support/)
-   -   feed once -and never again? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f93-baby-food-feeding-support/108373-feed-once-and-never-again.html)

Natalies_Momma November 23rd, 2005 12:22 PM

Is it okay to feed a food once - and then never again - even if it was ytheir first time ever w/ it? My DD had broccoli/cauliflaur for the 1st time today, and I don't think I can bear the smell enough to feed it ever again. I almost barfed, and I don't think she liked it either.

thanks.

Ashes78 November 23rd, 2005 12:55 PM

Yeah, it's fine. If she doesn't like it I wouldn't force her to eat it..kwim? We tried pears with Xan and he made horrible faces and gagged and all...lol. We haven't fed it to him since. :smile:

ryansmama November 26th, 2005 09:47 AM

It kind of depends.

If you don't WANT to feed this to your baby any more, it's no biggie if you don't do it (feeding once doesn't make you committed to it, lol).

But, if it's a food that you want your child to eat and enjoy, you need to keep offering it. It's been shown that on average a baby or toddler needs to try a new food 10 times before they accept it!

Natalies_Momma November 29th, 2005 11:12 AM

Thank you. No, it's definitely ME who won't feed it agian. She didn't like it much, but I couldn't stand the smell. I was gagging and it was awful. She's a spitter-upper, and each time she spit up - I would gag. It was horrible. IT got all over her sheets, everything, it was very potent. Awful!

ryansmama December 3rd, 2005 04:40 PM

Quote:

Thank you. No, it's definitely ME who won't feed it agian. She didn't like it much, but I couldn't stand the smell. I was gagging and it was awful. She's a spitter-upper, and each time she spit up - I would gag. It was horrible. IT got all over her sheets, everything, it was very potent. Awful![/b]

Ugh. I can imagine! I didn't even know they MAKE broccoli and cauliflower baby food. These are vegetables that I actually LIKE, but they have to be just lightly steamed (before the smell starts). You can introduce your baby to those veggies when she can have them cooked right, lol.

Melissa_A December 28th, 2005 10:47 AM

The broccoli does smell awful in baby food. I bought the chicken and broccoli combo and its just really stinky. I kept feeding it to her though, she started liking it more after a couple tries. I read that it takes 10-15 tries for a baby to like a food or not. But certainly if you don't want to feed it to your baby I don't think there is any harm in giving it once and never again.

dingledine January 7th, 2006 10:36 PM

I think that is a great idea. There have been things I have given Evan "just once", so that he can enjoy eating it, or I can enjoy giving it to him. However, at some point, those "just once" foods, will probably be something that he will have more of, and at that point, I will actually introduce those foods. Don't force something nasty on the child, esp. if it makes YOU nausous!

Natalies_Momma January 9th, 2006 07:48 PM

Thanks girls! I don't think I'll ever give it to her again via pureed foods - I like the idea of when she can have them normally! LOL - it seriously was soooo bad!

Melissa - thanks for the tip!! I don't think I'll be picking that up either. lol :P