JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Food/Feeding Support (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f93-baby-food-feeding-support/)
-   -   Am I moving too slowly? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f93-baby-food-feeding-support/1444175-am-i-moving-too-slowly.html)

~*LauraFL*~ February 19th, 2009 08:54 AM

Hi everyone... I'm Laura, mom to Cody (almost 9 months). I have a bad feeling that I am moving too slowly in terms of feeding. So many babies in my PR are on table foods and finger foods and "real" food. Cody gets formula and pureed baby foods. (3 meals: Breakfast is cereal with fruit, lunch is veggie, dinner is meat and veggie). All jarred foods. He has tried Cheerios, but is keen on just playing with them. Am I moving too slow or playing it too safe? I don't want him to end up a picky eater because of variety issues. And I don't want any of my issues regarding food to affect him.

Help?
Thank you!!

dee68 February 19th, 2009 09:55 AM

hi and welcome to the board !!

you may get some differing opinions on your question. have you discussed it with your ped ?
we started Katie @ 4 months on cereal...then stage one foods. stage 2 came quickly since it is really only a bigger jar and not much thicker. she now gets some stage 3 and finger foods, she is 8 months old.

IMO, it would not hurt to try another stage and maybe offer some finger foods like gerber puffs, they dissolve quickly
have fun with it !!! he certainly will ! please keep us posted

kalis February 20th, 2009 11:36 AM

in my opinion, you should do what you are comfortable with. Thea is 6.5 months and she gets a little pureed baby food once a day.
remember, babies only NEED breastmilk or formula through 1 year old. solids before that are for practice and adjusting to eating foods.
if you are worried about what you are doing, go ahead and ask your pediatrician what they reccomend.
ETA: i don't plan on having her up to 3 meals a day until around 1 year or so. that is just the plan i have come up with. my ped has said that how i am doing it is just fine.

~~~Sara~~~ February 20th, 2009 10:00 PM

Hi, I'm Sara, I drop in here when I remember to.

I think you should do whatever you are comfortable with and just see how your baby reacts to it. I do not personally think you are moving too slow.

I would however encourage you to try a larger variety of foods than jarred food if you are worried about giving him a lot of tastes and being a picky eater. I am not sure the two are related, but there are so many great foods out there that don't come in a baby food jar. Avocado is one that comes to mind, if we are having one with dinner, I will mash some up for Carter, sometimes I mixed it with vanilla yogurt, yogurt is also another great food you could try. There is so much more, if you want to get into making some of Cody's food, we are here to help!

~*LauraFL*~ February 21st, 2009 12:51 AM

Thank you!

I did buy some yogurt and avocado this week - based on what I have been reading here. I am going to branch out a bit, but you all have made me feel better about it.

I am going to keep reading here to get some ideas!

Thanks again!

lovemyboysandabbey2 February 23rd, 2009 04:34 PM

I agree with the other ladies, you need to do what you are comfortable with. I never gave my kids table foods until they were one or close to it.