JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Food/Feeding Support (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f93-baby-food-feeding-support/)
-   -   When to transition to table foods? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f93-baby-food-feeding-support/1561041-when-to-transition-to-table-foods.html)

nicholek May 14th, 2009 12:26 PM

When to transition to table foods?

Here's my problem:
My son is just over 7 months old. I've been giving him purees- I make most of his food. I have a freezer stocked with all kinds of purees I've made him. I usually only feed him on weekends as they feed him at daycare during the day. I think he gets plenty at daycare. (Usually breakfast, lunch and sometimes a snack). After he gets home, he pretty much just wants to nurse and soon after goes down for the night (around 6:30/7). I don't want to shove food down his throat.. as he's only 7 months old.

He loves food and there's nothing he doesn't not like. He eats it all.

I've tried those little gerber dissolving puff things with him and he does like them.. just depends on the flavor. I've also given him one or two of those dissolving yogurt melts here and there. He also will eat crushed up ritz crackers and he likes 'nilla wafers (those I usually hold and let him suck on).

He doesn't have that finger thumb grasp quite yet.

He's getting bored with purees (they're telling me at daycare). He apparently wants what the other older kids are having. So sometimes they give him cheerios or crackers or ritz to make him feel like he's part of the group.

Anyway- They were telling me this morning that he's at the point where a lot of babies transition over. They said that sometimes if parents don't take the opportunity, they'll have a harder time getting baby off purees later.

Being that Ben is my first, I have no idea what I'm doing! I'm just trying to take it a day at a time.

I really don't want to toss out the purees in my freezer.. all portioned out in baby cubes. I also don't want to deny him table foods.. I just don't know what to do here.

Do I keep on with the purees and slowly add a few things here and there or wait until he can grasp things with his finger and thumb before getting too ahead of myself? What would be better?

I'm also terrified that I'll give him something and he'll choke. The first time I gave him anything other than a puree I was about to have an anxiety attack! lol..

Any advice would be so helpful and most appreciated! Thanks :)

kerian May 14th, 2009 01:14 PM

Re: When to transition to table foods?

hi, i wouldnt throw out the purees. you can maybe make chunkier foods and mix them with the purees. that way you transition him slowly.

misfitinmn May 15th, 2009 08:44 AM

I think you could probably start to transition him - just give him bits of food broken into really small pieces. He will learn to chew them - he might gag a little bit at first...try not to panic! It's kind of scary but they figure it out. We did the puffs at first, and then transitioned to small pieces of pasta, really well-cooked veggies, banana pieces, and toast cut up into little bites. You can use your purees as a "sauce" for pasta, or mix in some non-pureed fruits/veggies. Sometimes I do part of the meal as finger food and part as a puree (so he gets like, chunks of cheese and meat, and the veggie I feed to him).

There's no right or wrong way, and you'll both learn as you go! Good luck!!

Monababs May 21st, 2009 03:50 PM

I'm on my third baby and was about to ask this same question! LOL So don't worry about right or wrong.

My DD loves to self feed finger foods in the past week. She gets shredded cheese, cheerios, puffs. I gave her spaghetti o's and quesidilla in small bites. She has no teeth but she is chewing.

spartyguard June 9th, 2009 03:13 PM

I would just mix it up and give him purees at some meals and the finger foods. Or even both, feed him his purees and then let him play with/eat the finger foods when he's done.