JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Food/Feeding Support (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f93-baby-food-feeding-support/)
-   -   Wont Eat! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f93-baby-food-feeding-support/17050-wont-eat.html)

Mom2B*L*T March 1st, 2005 10:18 AM

My oldest son will be 3 in a week and lately I can not get him to eat anything. My 2 yr old eats more than he does. I know they all go through a stage where they don't eat as much, but he hardly ever eats good anymore. Anyone know a good way to get him more interested in eating?

AmberC March 1st, 2005 10:31 AM

Well Crista doesn't like to stop playing to eat. Does this sound like your son? What I do with her most of the time is put her plate of food on her tray on the living room floor. She plays and stops and takes bites now and then. I know shes hungry because sometimes she'll ask me for cookies or something and I tell her not until shes finished with her dinner. She usually finishes her food after that. If not, then she doesn't get anything else and I always warn her that when I say its bedtime, she is NOT going to get anything else to eat.. so she either eats the food now, or she doesn't get anything. I leave the plate down until her bedtime and I always give her penty or warnings that its almost bedtime and shes not going to get anything to eat if she doesn't finish her dinner. A lot of times she'll just go to bed without dinner and I figure she just isn't hungry. I know its frustrating tho cause I worry shes not getting enough. But like you said you already know... sometimes it seems they dont eat enough to stay alive and other times you cant feed them fast enough!

pattyandthemoos March 1st, 2005 12:30 PM

Well my ds is only 20 months and he has had a lot of feeding issues. He was in a feeding clinic for a while and one of the things they suggested was to branch off with foods they already like. For example if they like banans try banana yogurt. If they like cheese try cheese on their foods. Don't try to get them eating everything at one time just add a couple new foods a week and find things that are similar to what they already like.

Mom2B*L*T March 1st, 2005 01:52 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will try that. I usually wont let him have anything else until he eats whatever his meal consited of. But then sometimes he wont eat at all and so I give him something he likes. I just worry that he is not getting enough nutrients.

TylerJ1029 March 1st, 2005 01:59 PM

Does he like pancakes? If so you can add sweet potatoes or squash in them to hide some extra veggies. If its something you want to try i'll tell you what I do. Just let me know.

pattyandthemoos March 1st, 2005 02:24 PM

More ideas for you. This is what I did with Brandon when he was at the Feeding Clinic. Start working on a list of foods he likes and dislikes. Like I posted early try things that are similar or add things to the foods he already likes. Also you need to introduce a food about fourteen times before they can decide if they like it or not. So just have him take a bite. If he doesn't like it he doesn't have to eat it. I think you are doing the right thing by giving him what he likes. I don't think you can make a child like something. What you can do is have him try things several times. I think you are doing a lot of the right things.

Jen had some good advice too. You can add nutrients to the foods he already likes.

greatcook March 25th, 2005 10:46 AM

Great suggestions, I think that it's so important to instill these habits from an early age-where they can feel comfortable with all types of foods (eventually)

veggirocks April 11th, 2005 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mom2Blaze*Landon@Mar 1 2005, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will try that. I usually wont let him have anything else until he eats whatever his meal consited of. But then sometimes he wont eat at all and so I give him something he likes. I just worry that he is not getting enough nutrients.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote]
I had a friend who's child had always seemed to simply dislike food in general and only ate because he had to and still barely ate. Parents took him to doctors for years and they never discovered anything till the husband was researching on-line one day and was reading about how food allergies can effect a child's appetite. He ended up discovering his child had been allergy to numerous different foods (wheat, some dairy and a few other things) the whole time! After about 7 years of his allergies being unintentionally ignored their son had just grown to not like food opposed to just not liking the foods he was allergic to. Once they realized his issue was food allergies they started feeding him the appropriate foods and he gained healthy weight from there on it and actually liked foods! Though due to so much time going by of him not eating how he should had been his growth was stunted and his baby brother who was born a year prior to them discovering he had food allergies was already as big as he was at 7!
So, a child not seeming interested in food maybe more then that...It maybe food allergies.