JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Food/Feeding Support (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f93-baby-food-feeding-support/)
-   -   Mashed Potatoes (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f93-baby-food-feeding-support/1787212-mashed-potatoes.html)

ANGWife November 29th, 2009 12:23 PM

Mashed Potatoes

DS does really well eating lumpy purees with his hands. On Thanksgiving, I gave him some mashed potatoes, but now I feel so guilt about it! The potatoes had milk and butter in it. He didn't eat a TON but enough to make me worry afterward.

The next evening (like 30 hrs later) he had very watery BM and I contributed it to the potatoes. But wouldn't he get a reaction sooner than that?

Do you think it was a bad idea to have given it?

Jodi Dawn November 29th, 2009 08:25 PM

Re: Mashed Potatoes

nope its not a bad idea. Donovan loves mashed potatoes!

*Fiona* November 30th, 2009 01:43 AM

I don't think it's bad either! The babies at this stage don't need to be so careful on their fat intake, if that worries you. I used mashed potatoes a lot for Kirsty, normally fork mashed with nothing through them, but combined with veg./meat... but I have given her mashed pots with milk/butter through if she is to have the same food we're eating for dinner.

The aim is eventually they will move to eating exactly what we eat, so a little now & then isn't so bad :)

ANGWife November 30th, 2009 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Fiona* (Post 18126913)
I don't think it's bad either! The babies at this stage don't need to be so careful on their fat intake, if that worries you. I used mashed potatoes a lot for Kirsty, normally fork mashed with nothing through them, but combined with veg./meat... but I have given her mashed pots with milk/butter through if she is to have the same food we're eating for dinner.

The aim is eventually they will move to eating exactly what we eat, so a little now & then isn't so bad :)

It's really more the dairy that I'm questioning :confused:

*Fiona* November 30th, 2009 09:51 AM

He *should* be fine with dairy. Well, what I mean is, allergies aside, there's no reason he couldn't have dairy, it's common to offer baby yogurt as puddings after 6 months.

Does anyone in your families suffer with dairy allergies/intolerence? I guess, the only way to be sure, is to give it a few days or so and try him again to see if you see the same thing happen?

Sweetie Karen December 1st, 2009 05:19 AM

:ditto: unless there are dairy allergies in the family then he should be ok. I would have thought if he was going to have an icky nappy it would have been sooner than 30 hours later too :)