JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Food/Feeding Support (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f93-baby-food-feeding-support/)
-   -   Jarred Foods Expiration (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f93-baby-food-feeding-support/231516-jarred-foods-expiration.html)

Rusha June 19th, 2006 04:30 AM

Got this in my e-mail this morning, thought it might be helpful to everyone.

Feeding your baby canned or jarred baby food after the expiration date has passed probably won't make him ill, but your baby will get fewer nutrients. Expiration dates on baby food are very conservative and are there mainly for quality purposes, not for safety; however, the nutrition and flavor of the food will deteriorate over time.

babybarrett June 20th, 2006 05:17 AM

I was going to post about this question b/c jarred foods say 3 days! My goodness, that can be wasteful especially if you're just starting out.

Thanks for the tip!

Tanya G June 26th, 2006 05:55 PM

Babies tummies are very sensitive, after 3 days you should throw out an open jar. The expiration date Rusha is referring to is the one stamped on the top of the jar. like 04/28/2008 etc. Thanks for that Rusha, its good to know.

Smashley June 26th, 2006 06:02 PM

I wouldnt use it past even the lid expiry. It has time to collect bacteria. They are on there for a reason afterall. I doubt its all for show seeing as they are on there in the first place. Food expires, even canned food.

would you want to go by something that is probable and not for sure? Me personally, I wont risk it.

Tanya G June 26th, 2006 06:05 PM

I wont risk it either, but its good to know. My sister however once fed her baby and he vomitted all over the place, she looked at the lid and the jar had expired.

babybarrett June 27th, 2006 04:02 AM

I was referring to the one on the lid. Actually, not the one stamped on there. Just what it says: Refridgerate for up to 3 days after opening. Just making a point that Emma didn't eat a jar in 3 days so for me it was wasteful.

I don't risk it either. You never know what can ferment in those jars...blech! hehe

Rusha June 27th, 2006 05:06 AM

I think the actually jar expiry date (before opening, of course) is usually a year away. I mean, I just bought some more food yesterday and the dates were for sometime in 2007. So that is not bad.

Tanya G June 30th, 2006 05:55 PM

I have also found alot that are in 2008!

Dylans_Mama July 10th, 2006 11:08 AM

I also think that I wouldnt use it if it had an expired expiration date on the lid. Dylan is eating whole jars now so we arent having to throw any away but in the beginning it did seem wastefull to dump it after 3 days but I looked at it like ok if my leftovers sat in there for 3 days i would probably dump them after that.