JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Food/Feeding Support (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f93-baby-food-feeding-support/)
-   -   What your baby tastes at 5 months. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f93-baby-food-feeding-support/240349-what-your-baby-tastes-5-months.html)

Dylans_Mama June 29th, 2006 09:16 PM

I thought this was interesting to know.

"Have you tried your baby's food? If you have, chances are it tasted somewhat bland to you. But your baby really likes it. Thatís because adults and babies have very different tastebuds. Babiesí tastebuds develop between 6 months and 2 years of age. Therefore, neither the absence of salt nor an overabundance of salt will have any bearing on your baby's tastebuds, appetite or food intake.

This may also mean that your baby will continue to eat, regardless of the taste. For example, we would not eat rotten food, or super-salty french fries, but your baby would not taste the difference. Which means you should keep a careful eye on your little one as he could ingest something harmful.

Your baby's kidneys are immature and less able than our own to get rid of extra salt. Our table foods, as appealing as they are to us, generally contain much more salt than the food specifically formulated for your baby, and are not recommended. Although he needs sodium and chloride (the elements that make up salt), your baby will get what he needs from breast milk or infant formula.

Here are more practical points about the taste of your baby's food:

The reason we give babies a variety of foods is to get them used to different tastes, so they don't become finicky eaters at the toddler stage or at 2 or 3 years of age.
Feeding baby foods with added sugar may get your baby used to foods that taste sweet, like desserts. This keeps your baby from experiencing the true range of flavors in foods.
Don't season your baby's food to suit your own tastes. Babies don't need salted foods; there is enough salt in formula or breast milk.
"

DynamiteLotus June 29th, 2006 09:27 PM

Thanks for posting this, Jess. I had a bite of Livi's pears today and I thought to myself that it was a little bland, but it did taste like pears.

I love that they get such natural food rather than the garbage we eat...you know?

Dylans_Mama June 29th, 2006 09:54 PM

Ya exactly!!! I had no idea though that they didnt really develop tastebuds until 6 months. I know for sure though that Dylan can taste some because he hated rice cereal and wasnt big on sweet potatoes lol

I tasted some of his bananas today and I thought they were really boring too. I didnt even think that they tasted like a regular banana you just peel and eat.

DynamiteLotus June 29th, 2006 10:13 PM

Quote:

I didnt even think that they tasted like a regular banana you just peel and eat.[/b]
I think a lot of it might have to do with texture too. Did I read that you had a mesh feeder and did...or plan on using it soon? I have a couple - I cannot wait to stick a piece of banana in it for Livi!

Dylans_Mama June 30th, 2006 09:46 AM

I do have a couple of the feeders but Im not sure what Im going to put in them lol