JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Food/Feeding Support (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f93-baby-food-feeding-support/)
-   -   Making baby food (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f93-baby-food-feeding-support/262058-making-baby-food.html)

CTK3989 July 26th, 2006 01:57 PM

Hi all! I am due in December and won't be feeding my child baby food for some time but I'm getting a head start on things. How many of you make your own baby food and how do you do it? It doesn't just consist of mashing up carrots does it? I'm new to this and would love any information one can provide. Thanks.

Chelci

alieygater July 26th, 2006 11:46 PM

Quote:

Hi all! I am due in December and won't be feeding my child baby food for some time but I'm getting a head start on things. How many of you make your own baby food and how do you do it? It doesn't just consist of mashing up carrots does it? I'm new to this and would love any information one can provide. Thanks.

Chelci[/b]
Pretty Much......lol.....Well you have to cook them first...I got a book from the library about it, there are websites to look at like wholesomebabyfood.com, im sure you could google it...Its really simple and fun.....good luck and congrats on your pregnancy!

CTK3989 July 27th, 2006 06:46 AM

Thank you for your help. I will start researching on google.

Chelci

cheesecake July 27th, 2006 10:49 AM

I haven't started feeding solids yet but I'm reading the book "Super Baby Foods" and it's really good!

CTK3989 July 27th, 2006 11:12 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.

Chelci

Tanya G July 27th, 2006 05:34 PM

When it comes to early pureed foods, basically you just cook up whatever you want and throw it in a blender and then you can pour that into ice cube trays and freeze it, once its frozen you pop them all out and throw theminto freezer bags, date them, and then when you want to use them just microwave it. There are a few foods like carrots and some others that i cant recall off hand that you should buy jarred becasue if they can contain nitrates which I believe but dont quote me, can be fatal to young babies. some sources say to wait till 6 months before doing those yourself while others say nine months.

Once your baby is a bit older and you no longer want to puree stuff, you can just take whatever you are making yourself and mash it up for them. like potatoes, carrots, squash, etc.

DynamiteLotus July 27th, 2006 08:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Chelci[/b]
Pretty Much......lol.....Well you have to cook them first...I got a book from the library about it, there are websites to look at like wholesomebabyfood.com, im sure you could google it...Its really simple and fun.....good luck and congrats on your pregnancy!
[/b]
Yeah...what she said.

I make my own baby food - it's soooo easy. Just be careful about carrots - www.wholesomebabyfood.com is a site that I use a lot; read their article on making carrots. Good luck!

alieygater July 28th, 2006 02:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Chelci[/b]
[/b]
Yeah...what she said.

I make my own baby food - it's soooo easy. Just be careful about carrots - www.wholesomebabyfood.com is a site that I use a lot; read their article on making carrots. Good luck!
[/b]

Dont worry about the carrots too much...all foods have nitrates in them...and if you wait till the 6 months or whatever they say that the baby will have the proper stuff to digest the nitrates, they also say the whole blue baby thing isnt as common as people tend to believe....but when i made mine i just tossed any water that was in the pot out and rinsed them off good just for my own piece of mind..

CTK3989 August 1st, 2006 09:14 AM

Thanks ladies!