JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Food/Feeding Support (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f93-baby-food-feeding-support/)
-   -   Sugar (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f93-baby-food-feeding-support/277416-sugar.html)

CanuckGal August 11th, 2006 06:57 AM

I make most of Landon's baby food but I always buy a jar of something new to make sure he likes it and isn't allergic to it before I make big batches of anything. The other day I was looking for some of the Stage 2 fruits that we still haven't tried and I was appalled to see that the Fruit Salad had sugar as the second ingredient! The Mixed Fruits doesn't have any so I thought that was weird. I looked at another fruit and I don't remember what it was now but it also contained sugar. You'd think the fruit itself would be sweet enough for these babies, especially at Stage 2. My kid is nuts enough, I can't even imagine giving him sugar :P

Jenny Lee August 11th, 2006 07:37 AM

Yeah, you really have to check out the ingredients...I believe all of the dessert and cobbler ones have sugar in them too.

utopiaseas August 11th, 2006 01:38 PM

I dont give stage 2's yet but I've read the ingredients on the desserts, almost all of them have sugar and also cow's milk is in a few. I think I might try eating the desserts myself as I have heard they are very good, but I don't think I'll give them to Kaitlyn. Probably I'll just buy individual fruits and mix them, or take real fruit salad and puree it. Plus I am thinking one idea I'd try is mixing a fruit with some rice cereal and my milk, to make my own natural custard thing.

Dylans_Mama August 11th, 2006 08:21 PM

I havent bought any of the desserts either because of the sugar and other things I saw that were in them. But I noticed some of thr fruits had lots of sugar too! Why does baby food need any sugar added? They dont know any better lol

FamilyShorty August 14th, 2006 12:05 PM

Oh my gosh! I bought all this baby food the other day and I didn't even think to look at that. I thought since I was staying away from the desert kind that I would be fine. Argh!

**Jenn** August 14th, 2006 01:26 PM

Some brands have less than others. I noticed that Gerber has the most sugar added to their stuff. That's why I buy Beech Nut--plus it's cheaper. :D

Dono92000 August 15th, 2006 02:16 PM

Yeah, I've started buying mostly just the earth's best baby food because I really like how natural they are, plus they have some really interesting mixes, more variety than gerber or beech nut.

Tanya G August 16th, 2006 09:06 AM

i've noticed that the ones that have sugar say dessert on them, not sure if this is true for all brands, i have only noticed with beechnut.

cheesecake August 24th, 2006 12:51 PM

This is why I want to make my own babyfood.

MamaBx3 September 6th, 2006 05:11 AM

I don't think I've ever even looked at the Ingredients on any of her food .

baaaad momma :doghouse: