JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Food/Feeding Support (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f93-baby-food-feeding-support/)
-   -   Did anyone's baby have a hard time bottle feeding? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f93-baby-food-feeding-support/85547-did-anyone-s-baby-have-hard-time-bottle-feeding.html)

AlaynasMommy October 7th, 2005 07:40 PM

My daughter was born on October 5th at 36w6d (She is 8lbs 7oz & 22 inches long) well, she was put in the NICU because I had a HIGH fever during labor (I was induced due to Severe Pre Eclampsia) and SHE WONT DRINK HER BOTTLE!!! They have a nasal tube going to her stomach because if she doesn't finish the bottle she has to feed VIA the tube.

I'm so scared she'll take a long time to get the hang of it and I just want my daughter home with me. She's perfectly healthy otherwise!! Has anyone else's baby ever had a hard time trying to get the hang of drinking a bottle?! If so, how long did they take to get the hang of it? I'm so scared she'll be in the hospital for a long time. :( ANy suggestions?

Ashes78 October 7th, 2005 08:02 PM

Zach was born at 36 weeks and had trouble learning how to suck. We had to keep squeezing his cheeks to help him suck. He got the hang of it pretty quick though. It only took him a few days to catch on and once he learned he ate like a pig..hehe. Hopefully she will catch on soon. :dothug:

AlaynasMommy October 7th, 2005 08:08 PM

Did you squeeze his cheeks when he had the bottle in his mouth?? I hope Alayna gets the hang of it soon. :(

Ashes78 October 7th, 2005 09:02 PM

Yeah..it helped him to suck. Kinda squeeze them in and rub in a circular motion.

AlaynasMommy October 8th, 2005 02:07 AM

It's worth a shot!! I'm also going to try to bring my own bottle from home today. I mean, maybe she just doesn't like the bottles there? They only have two different nipple varieties, but she LOVES the pacifier, so something has to be going on there.

Ashes78 October 8th, 2005 10:48 AM

That could be it. I hope she gets the hang of it soon. Keep us posted! :dothug:

AlaynasMommy October 8th, 2005 03:57 PM

I think we might have solved the problem. We switched formulas today, and she seems to like the infamil. It seems to sit better with her than the Similac.

Ashes78 October 8th, 2005 04:18 PM

Whooohoo! :cheer: I am glad you found out what the problem was and got it fixed. :smile:

AlaynasMommy October 8th, 2005 05:10 PM

Now I just have to pray that she KEEPS EATING!! lol Almost time to call to see if she finished her latest feeding. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for her to come home on Monday

Ashes78 October 8th, 2005 05:46 PM

We will keep our fingers crossed over here too for ya. Let us know what they say :smile:

AlaynasMommy October 8th, 2005 07:03 PM

Thank you. :) I'll definitely let you know. I have to call back in 15 minutes because she just started feeding Alayna when I called. *crosses fingers & prays*