JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   What do you think about... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/11709-what-do-you-think-about.html)

Christie1234 January 18th, 2005 12:14 PM

Using family names??? Some people wont use ANY family names because of individuality and others think it is important to carry on a tradition... what do you think?

I personally will probably give my son one family name and one that is his own.

TylerJ1029 January 18th, 2005 12:15 PM

Ty's middle name is the name of his great great great grandfather.

~*kath*~ January 18th, 2005 12:38 PM

With me, I have always thought against using family names, just because of my family. Like my full name is Kathy, my moms name is Kathy, my Dad's sisters name is Kathy, my grandmas name is Kay and my SO has an aunt named Kathy. Also, SO's name is James and so is his fathers. So I think that it needs to end lol. But the middle name of my son is going to be Jameson, then he still gets named after his father without it being the same and my daughters middle name is going to be MiKayla because I have two nieces names Kayla (one died when she was a month old because she was premature and the other I haven't seen since she was a baby...long story) anyways again the name is after someone else, just changed a little.

lynnlee January 18th, 2005 02:52 PM

I love the idea of using family names... All the names in my family are really bad though! :P

RandomRobot January 19th, 2005 02:44 AM

I ike using family names ( as middle names), Ciara's middle name is Winifred after DH's deceased mother - its not a name I like at all but Ciara is hardly ever called by her full name. Jamies middle name is Christopher after his uncle ( who is also his godfather).

winnowill January 19th, 2005 10:51 AM

It would work for alot of families except but mine. I'm not naming my child Willard (after ny grandmother.)

Kristina January 20th, 2005 06:13 AM

I like using family names for middle names. 3 of my kiddos have family names and this one will too.

Kristina SAHM of Janessa 6, Xandria 4, Thayer 3, Alorah 1 and edd 7/9/05

mamaB January 20th, 2005 12:40 PM

Think its a very honorable thing to do. My DD's first name is a family name after a deceased relative, and we call her by her middle name so she's got her own "identity".

Shan January 22nd, 2005 05:38 AM

Family names are a nice thing to do. I'm not a big fan of Jr. (III, IV, ect.) tho. DS mn is after my dad mn but our 2nd son will not have any family name b/c there is not any that stick out and DH is the 4th.

x3 MaGs x3 January 22nd, 2005 09:55 AM

I think it's important for a child to have their own first name, but to have some honor in their middle name, by naming them after family or someone important.

JaecobsMommie January 23rd, 2005 03:30 PM

I did that, honored my father by naming my son after him (middle name). :)

BabyMaybe January 26th, 2005 02:11 AM

I also really dislike Jr's., too much confusion in the house & the child usually gets some silly nn to distinguish himself from his dad.

I do believe in honoring a deceased relative that either you or your hubby were very close too. If we ever have a son, We plan on giving him the mn of my husband's father, James (he died of cancer at only 53). We are also seriously considering using my grandmother's name as our future daughter's mn, my Nana & I are very close (she's 80 now & doesn't have any great grandchildren yet).

On the other hand I am all for naming my child a unique name so that he/she is a an individual.