JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Driving me CRAZY (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/1335494-driving-me-crazy.html)

MamaBx3 December 2nd, 2008 07:45 AM

Every time we see J's parents they always ask if we're still naming the baby Noah. We say yes. Then they'll say snoody comments like "oh, like Noah with the ark" .. and then laugh hysterically .. Its so freaking annoying!
His mom keeps telling me that shes just going to call him Parker since she liked that choice better :blink:
Has anyone ever gone through this? I dont know how to handle it!

carlyheartsphil December 2nd, 2008 08:07 AM

That stinks, I would just ignore it honestly because they will get over it!

LadyGamer December 2nd, 2008 08:14 AM

maybe say politely, "i'm sorry you aren't happy with our choice, but we are hisparents and we would appreciate it if you called the baby his name"

SK. December 2nd, 2008 08:23 AM

We argued with my DF's mum over our choice of names & it ended badly when she rang me about 10 mins after Logans birth to scream at us about our choice of name & for not picking the name she wanted to have for her youngest if she had been a boy.

Id try to ignore it, we tried & we spoke & saw each other for Logans sake just after his birth but after some of the hurtful comments she has said she hasnt seen Logan since he was 3 months (he turnt one 17th Nov).

Like I said try to ignore them, if that doesnt work then like Christen said explain that this is your baby & therefore your choice. She had her chance to name her children & now its your turn. If she doesnt respect that & call him by his name then explain to her that you may 'break ties' - even if thats just a threat.

Hey There December 2nd, 2008 08:42 AM

Boy, that is REALLY annoying and rude. Things might change after the baby is born but if not I'd make J interject since they are his parents. It's your child not theirs.

MamaLynn December 2nd, 2008 10:18 AM

Oh gosh.. why is it always like that?! It's your kid! Anyway, when people make comments (especially in-laws :P ) I just say, "are you still going to love him if I name him Owen? Well then." And usually they shut up.. Totally annoying though, I agree.

Hopingfor1soon December 2nd, 2008 11:19 AM

I would try to ignore it, but at the same time if she keeps saying she is going to call him Parker....I would say something....even if it is is just something like "Please dont" or "We really dont want to upset anyone, but Noah will be his name, so please just accept it!"

I am sorry you are having to deal with this!! It really isnt fair to you!

*PurpleMidnight* December 2nd, 2008 01:07 PM

We have a Noah and no-one has really brought up the Noahs ark thing. Just correct them eveytime until they get the hint ir start calling them by their middle name

BellaBellski December 2nd, 2008 02:16 PM

Ugh. Thats an icky situation :(

I would ask Jeremy to talk to her. It's always best if the child of the parent does the talking instead of the in-laws. I definitely would not just ignore it because that makes it seem like its okay - and it's not - and she wont stop. Jeremy has to talk to her and explain that she may not like the name, but that it is his name and its hurtful and offensive when she suggests its a 'bad choice' or that she will just call him a different name. After all, how would she have felt if Her mother did that to her about her kids??

I hope they come around - Noah isn't a bad name, at all!

Miracle December 2nd, 2008 03:14 PM

I don't have any other suggestions but just wanted to say that I'm sorry you're going through that :(

Noah is an awesome name! Love it! Noah in the Bible was a great man- faithful and devoted to God. There's no shame in being named something that has an association with another person- especially someone like that.

I think once you have the baby and the name is set, people will be less likely to share their opinions.

bluebutterfly December 2nd, 2008 08:45 PM

If it were me and my IL's (or even my own family for that matter) were going to call my child by some other name just because they didn't like the name we had picked I'd be telling them up front that anyone who intended to do so could expect little visitation with the baby. They need to respect your choices as your son's parents and not disrespect not only you but your son as well.

Just my opinion, but then my IL's already think I'm a b!tch :P

LindsAyla December 2nd, 2008 08:59 PM

There's always going to be atleast one person who has something bad to say about the name/s you pick out! You can't please them all!

My in-laws would prefer traditional names like Christopher and Elizabeth...but, names like those are just not my style at all. Whenever I tell her names we're considering, she says, "Where did you find THOSE???" I prefer names like Sadie and Liam. My sis in law was bashing one of our name choices the other day, and I said "I'm sorry...I just thought you'd be excited for us that we finally picked names we love". She stopped right there!

If I were you, I'd tell your mother in law that you appreciate her suggestions, but you've already made up your mind on the name Noah, you both love it, and you wish she'd share your excitement and be supportive.

*~ Joni ~* December 2nd, 2008 09:01 PM

I would probably try a direct approach at first. "You had your chance to name your children and I'm sure you wouldn't have appreciated comments like that." And if that didn't work, I'd get sarcastic and start calling Jeremy by a different name in front of her. "MIL, I really wish you would have named Jeremy Michael. I like that better. I'm just going to call him Michael." Good luck!