JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   How popular is too popular? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2100866-how-popular-too-popular.html)

tetchy September 11th, 2010 01:24 PM

How popular is too popular?

I've been dead set on the name Oliver for years and it's number 98 in the us-which I think is great. Seems not too popular. Than I dug further and found the name mapper that gives popularity by state and it's #47 and #53 in the north west. Big difference! I don't want our child to have to deal with going to school with several kids of the same name.

Wdyt? How popular is too popular for you? Would you choose a name in the top 50? In the top 10?

AnnaMama September 11th, 2010 02:58 PM

Re: How popular is too popular?

I love the name Oliver, so charming and handsome. The nickname Ollie is too cute! :D I don't think popularity matters to much, top 10 might concern me but as low as 40/50 wouldn't bother me too much if I simply loved the name.

doremi September 11th, 2010 03:02 PM

My preference would be for a name below the top 100 for my kids, but Josiah was #104 when he was born, and has continued to climb into the 70's. I'm still glad I chose a name that I love for my son! I think the only total dealbreaker for me would be if the name was in the top 25 or so. And if I absolutely loved a name and none other seemed right, I'd ignore popularity and use it anyways. So, if I were you, I'd still use Oliver.

PS. For what it's worth, I've been teaching elementary music for 6 years in Washington state, and have never had an Oliver in my classroom :smile:

tetchy September 11th, 2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doremi (Post 21486873)

PS. For what it's worth, I've been teaching elementary music for 6 years in Washington state, and have never had an Oliver in my classroom :smile:

Oh, that is nice to hear. I have a niece who works in a preschool and my mother works in an elementary school-I keep asking do you know any 'Olivers'? They haven't come across them either! Yay.

I've searched and searched and I've found other names that I like but, none that I can imagine my child having. We may just have to stick with it. :D

maggievee September 11th, 2010 03:43 PM

The only name I have EVER removed from my list due to popularity is Aiden/Aidan, just because of the massive jump in popularity not only of it but also the Jaiden/Braiden/Kaiden/Zaiden etc etc jump. I love them all and they're all adorable (I know at least one of each in my town) but I couldn't have my future child be another Brittany or Josh of their generation.
I adore the name Oliver and while I live in the Southeast I can say I haven't run across one here under the age of 16. It's a timeless name for me and ages fantastically so if you love it I say I'd keep it. :)

mamawithwings September 11th, 2010 09:15 PM

I don't think it's too trendy. It's a great name, so I'd say go for it!

ImagineOctober September 11th, 2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doremi (Post 21486873)

I have also worked in several schools for about 8 years now and I have also never had an Oliver, or heard of a child who had a sibling named Oliver. I really love Oliver...it's so cute and spunky! And it goes SO well with your daughter's name!

LadyGamer September 11th, 2010 09:49 PM

I will be using Oliver, and I guess as long as it doesn't go in the top 10, I don't care. I love it too much :)

*PurpleMidnight* September 11th, 2010 10:19 PM

In the top 10. BUT you cant change what other people name their kids in the years following your kids (this happened with 2 of my kids where we used to live)

KirstyB September 12th, 2010 02:57 AM

I probably wouldn't use a name in the top 20.. definitely not the top 10.
Oliver is number 2 in England and number 1 in the area that I live, but obviously as he is my step-son, I didn't name him. Owen is number 40-something, I think.

sethsmum September 12th, 2010 05:59 AM

I know one kid here in England called Oliver, my friends baby that was born last year. However Oliver is a very nice name, and I would still use it. Top 25 would be a no go for me but above that if I loved the name I would use it anyway

kristi714 September 12th, 2010 06:30 AM

I definitely like to stay away from the top 10, not because I don't LIKE the names because I LOVE some top 10 names, I just don't want them to be know as Ava N. or Jacob N. in a group setting, Ya know?

I think anything outside of the top 30 though realistically the kid won't run into TOO many like the Madison's, Isabella's, Ava's, Emma's, and Jacob's will. I've never met an Oliver.:smile:

mlbsnb September 12th, 2010 07:33 AM

I don't think that is too popular. TOO popular is top 10 in my opinion. And you have to keep alternative spellings in mind as well - and Oliver does not have any that I am aware of! It is a very handsome name! I say go for it!

Niamh ૐ September 12th, 2010 09:26 AM

For me personally, anything in the top 100 is way too popular. I would prefer to even stay out of the top 500 though. But if I love a name enough and it's not in the top 100, then I'll use it. If I think it's too close to the top 100, I'll use it as a middle name.

Oliver is a great name! I agree with the person that said it's spunky and goes well with your daughter's name. :)

I also agree with the other person that said that even if the name isn't popular NOW, it can always become more popular in the years to come. So we never *really* know.

ladybugmomma September 12th, 2010 10:04 AM

I don't think it matters that much. I LOVE the name Oliver, I have NEVER met one.
We are naming our DD Layla. I *think* it's around 60-70, which is higher then I would want but really I have yet to meet a Layla so I'm not concerned.

Bedazzled September 12th, 2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niamh ૐ (Post 21492106)
For me personally, anything in the top 100 is way too popular. I would prefer to even stay out of the top 500 though.

This is my preference as well. "Too popular" really is relative to each person. I think Oliver is a great name. I personally would not use a name in the top 100 but that's not to say that I don't appreciate a lot of those names.

P*to*the*ORTIA September 12th, 2010 12:36 PM

I would stay out of the top 100, but that is my preference. Honestly though, if you like the name enough, who cares how many other kids have the same name.

I like the name Oliver. I know one guy with the name, but he's like 35.

tetchy September 12th, 2010 04:00 PM

Thanks for all of the good advice! Dh and I talked it over and both of us do truly love the name. Plus and no one in his extensive family or my family or our circle of friends knows an Oliver so Oliver it will be-if we have a boy! And I have a feeling it's a boy though because it would be so much cheaper for us to have a girl right now :p I just hope we never move to London! Then he'd really have a common name. lol

Oliver :heart:

doremi September 12th, 2010 10:32 PM

Congrats on settling in on a name :smile:

cheezpoofs September 13th, 2010 08:42 AM

I would prefer to stay out of the top 1,000 for all of my children's names, but some of the names I love are in the top 500. Top 100 is too common for me to use and I would stay as far as possible away from the Top 10. My husband has a Top 10 name (has been Top 10 probably since Biblical times) and hates how common his name is. I have a unique name (probably less than one hundred with this name in the world) and love it. We want our children to have unique names and not have to be Jacob G. or Isabella G. 3 or whatever. Our last name is a total pain too.