JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Is there a name you just can't let go...? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2109197-there-name-you-just-cant-let-go.html)

sunshineblue September 20th, 2010 12:48 PM

Is there a name you just can't let go...?

Not sure if the title makes sense :confused: but let me try to explain.

When I was pregnant with Liv I was 100% certain that I'd use Ethan (either Ethan Joshua, Ethan Michael or Ethan Joshua Michael) if I'd had a boy. That was 7 years ago. I've loved Ethan for 15+ years and it's still there near the top of my list.

In the years since I had Liv I've found a number of new names that I like more than Ethan. Like right now I'd say my fave boys name is either Noah or Elliot. Ethan is around number 3 or 4 on my list.

And yet if I gave birth to a little boy right now I honestly think I'd name him Ethan Joshua Michael (even though I've gone right off Joshua) but for some reason I just can not get past this name and can't imagine my first-born son being anything else.

Am I just weird :D or do any of you ladies feel the same way about a certain name?

prncstiff September 20th, 2010 12:53 PM

Re: Is there a name you just can't let go...?

I havent had a name picked for that many years but I can tell you when i found out i was having a boy this time, going thru names i keep going back to the same one. Especially after seeing my little guy already in 4d at 17wks, i have a name that fits his little face and cant seem to let it go. I say go for it.

Bedazzled September 20th, 2010 02:28 PM

Kind of...I won't take them off of my list but I've come to terms with the fact that we won't be using them:

Hayden
Sutton
Maverick

doremi September 20th, 2010 02:53 PM

I was that way with Josiah. Although, I didn't have any other names that were above Josiah in my name list... I just always knew my first boy would be named that, and even though I THOUGHT I should go through the process of looking for other names, it didn't do a darn bit of good, because THAT was the name that was meant to be his!

csims September 20th, 2010 02:57 PM

Not weird, I totally understand. For years I always said if I had a girl I'd name her Mae. I LOVE that name. No one else likes it, everyone bashes on it soo bad but I don't care. It doesn't bother me because it's not up to them. BUT....my DH does NOT like it either :cry:

Bedazzled September 20th, 2010 03:58 PM

Don't mean to hijack this thread but what about using Maeve or Mabel? Then you could call her Mae but maybe your DH would like one of the alternatives?

carlyheartsphil September 20th, 2010 04:14 PM

Ive never felt that way but it certainly understandable!

Lash September 20th, 2010 05:33 PM

I've felt it and I'm not even sure I totally love the name! I've just had it in my head for so long that I'd name my first daughter AnnaLane (after my grandmother Anna Lane). Except I hate the way it sounds when I say it out loud. I get stuck verbally somewhere in the middle of the name and it garbles weirdly.

We've thought about AnnaBella, and honoring her by at least having the Anna in there, but something in me always goes back to AnnaLane.

I always feel like people say "Anne Elaine". And I HATE the name Elaine for very strong personal reasons. I cannot imagine correcting people if they said "OH Anne Elaine?"

Say it out loud and see if you don't also hear "Ann Elaine"

bunnybaker September 20th, 2010 05:53 PM

Oh my gosh that's Joshua! I love that name and my guy HATES it :(
We'll never use it, but I cannot let it go, I just love it.

Gaby&Emmy'sMama September 20th, 2010 07:26 PM

Emersyn is one name that I couldn't let go - and I got to use it, so I consider myself lucky :)

I was set on 'Emersyn Grace', but ended up with Emersyn Lily-May, to fit with Gaby's name. But I am so glad I got to use Emersyn!

Warrington-James is a m/n combo I was set on for a boy, but I won't get to use it, so that makes me a little sad! It is both of my Grandfathers names & I really wanted to name a child after them...

demumbran0516 September 20th, 2010 08:47 PM

Since I was 10 I was stuck on the name Phoebe for a girl and Ephraim for a boy. DH hates both of them...so I will never get to use either one. Then again I can always pull the I went threw the pain of having the child, I should get to name them what I want. But I wont be that mean.

GeeDee September 20th, 2010 08:50 PM

I wanted to name my DD "Blake" so bad.... that should have been her name but her dad wouldn't go for it. I should have stuck to my guns because she is a total Blake :( I'll always regret that

maggievee September 20th, 2010 08:57 PM

Yes indeed, since I was thirteen years old [sounds silly to have a name list at 13 now] just about every name on my list has come and gone but Atreyu will NOT leave for some reason. Yes, now I have names on my list above it but it hasn't gone away. My friends (and every boy I ever dated that got to see my name list :P) love it, my family is not as enthusiastic. I will probably still end up fighting for it if I should ever conceive a boy. :)

P*to*the*ORTIA September 22nd, 2010 09:30 AM

I've wanted to use the name Miles but DH hates it. I've accepted that I will never be able to use it.

scubagirl80 September 24th, 2010 07:32 PM

Alexandra was the name I was stuck on forever-since I was about 13. I always just KNEW that this had to be my daughter's name. Luckily I got to use it! It's lucky dh liked it too-because I don't know if I could have given it up, lol.

I'm stuck on Callum for a boy, but dh doesn't like it :( I love it.

Caroline is the other one. There are other names I like MORE at the moment, but it seems like that one is always a constant on the list...

mudd1118 September 24th, 2010 07:54 PM

DH and I had Jonah Christopher picked out years ago as a name for our first son. Now that we're having twin boys, I'm finding other name combos that I like better, but I just can't imagine not having the Jonah we always planned for.

alexis.nicole September 24th, 2010 08:28 PM

I'm the same with Nathan. I have always been in love with the name Nathan, we've always planned on using it. Now, we have a daughter named Natalie... and I can't help but think Nathan & Natalie are just too close. Twin names is one thing but if we have more than two kids, it'd be Natalie, Nathan, and then different ones. So when I got pregnant with our son, I debated on using Nathan the entire time, I even posted here about it numerous times. I finally decided on Tyler for our boy.

But I'm still completely in love with the name Nathan, I just want to use it so badly. I don't think i'll ever get over how close it is to Natalie though :(

mommyjones September 24th, 2010 09:16 PM

A lot of people on here know my story already. I have always loved and wanted a little girl named Elizabeth, but I don't like really popular names. It was on my list from the time I was ten! :D so when I had my daughter 9 months ago I really struggled with what to do.

So I ended up naming her Delia. I love the name it has what I was looking for fun, different, spunky....but I could not let it go. It never set right sooo after some great help from the ladies on here Delia became Elizabeth after about three weeks.

I just could not let it go. I LOVE Delia but Elizabeth is what my heart wanted for my daughter.:p

~LaurenNoel~ September 25th, 2010 07:08 AM

Ruby. DH hates it.