JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Names and your last name.. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2109523-names-and-your-last-name.html)

Bedazzled September 20th, 2010 04:59 PM

Names and your last name..

Are there any names that you would just never use because of your last name? And I'm not talking about just sounding a little repititive, I'm talking super, asking for your kid to be teased horrible...think Oscar if your last name is Meyer ;)

For me there really aren't any that I can think of. I have a pretty simple last name. Well maybe Rennie....it sounds really funny with my last name.

loquinn September 20th, 2010 05:06 PM

Re: Names and your last name..

Luckily my last name doesn't have any, well any I can think of!
But, I have always loved the name Beau and my last name starts with O'*** so it sounds pretty silly!!

carlyheartsphil September 20th, 2010 05:40 PM

I dont think there are any names like that with our last name, thankfully!

Gaby&Emmy'sMama September 20th, 2010 05:58 PM

not really.... my last name isn't too common, but it doesn't really rhyme with anything, or have any names that can be put in front of it that make it into something tease-worthy

Aenyx September 20th, 2010 06:00 PM

Before I met my husband I always liked the name Craig or Kraig... Since our last name is Craig I don't think that would work to well hehe.

demumbran0516 September 20th, 2010 07:53 PM

I dont have any names that I wouldnt use because of my last name...
But I did go to school with a guy named Jesse Tripp his little brothers were Major Tripp and Minor Tripp. Poor kids.

maggievee September 20th, 2010 08:00 PM

My ex and I had an issue pop up with our pregnancy before I MCed.
His last name is Cox and I had always loved the name Eden. I had to explain to him WHY we had to think of a different name. -_-
Edited to add:
Other issues in just discussing names with people....my exhusband's last name is Jewell. Therefore, Scarlett, which I was in love with at the name, had to go away...along with anything color related. Along with Julian [which I'm still in love with].
Another ex's last name was Venable, rendering my much beloved at the time "Vincent" not usable in my opinion, even though he thought it sounded awesome.
So yeah, I've had several issues. I have a guy friend in England that I've known since 12 and his last name is Wong...we were discussing names of kids and I told him my list....Miles is on it. He loved Miles. I told him I thought it was a bad idea for him. ^_^

Spyctre September 20th, 2010 10:06 PM

My maiden name was Bush, and my father almost got away with naming my sister "Rose." I know some poor child is out there with "Ima." Ima Bush, Ima Stone...

Worst I've seen was in school, a friend's dad(also a coach) was named Paul Enis. All of the jerseys were first initial and last name. Guess who was sending his jersey back for a new one?

doremi September 20th, 2010 11:39 PM

Tons. Basically anything with a "sh" sound, or an R won't work.

Charlotte
Ruby
Rosalie
Cecilia
Rebekkah
Gabriel
Ronan
Elisha

As for the ones that would really get them teased, the only name is Richard. Our last name is Richard with an accent over the a, pronounced Rih-Shard. Richard Richard would be very bad indeed!

Hey There September 21st, 2010 06:43 AM

Cane...our last name is Able. I don't think a Cane Able would sound right :D

~April~ September 21st, 2010 06:45 AM

Jack. Last name is Russell. It is a shame because I love the name Jack.

CameraLinds September 23rd, 2010 01:58 AM

oh there's tons....because I think we have one of the most popular last names!

wouldn't use:
Indiana
Star
Tommy
Bridget
Catherine
Davy
Shirley
James
Norah (even though I like it!!!)
etc- you get the idea I'm sure ;)

morewink September 23rd, 2010 02:49 AM

I always wanted to use Mikayla, but our last name starts with Mc. When I mentioned using Mikayla to a friend she said "oh she can be M&M". Needless to say we didn't use Mikayla

AnnaMama September 23rd, 2010 02:54 AM

We are lucky that most names seem to sound ok with our surnames. We liked Ruby, but his last name starts with R, but still it sounded good. However my middle name is Rosalie and it sounds awful with his surname! Probably because both names are 3 syllables, they just go into a tongue twist! I also like the name Rafferty for a boy, but that doesn't really go that well either.

KirstyB September 23rd, 2010 03:20 AM

I can't use names with a strong B sound or any names with Ash in.. Ashley, Asher, Ashlyn etc.

ilovecouponcodes September 23rd, 2010 05:04 AM

I like Hue,but wouldn't use it because my last name is similar

sethsmum September 23rd, 2010 10:16 AM

Our surname and the name River would sound rather stupid together, it begins with F.

*Kristina September 23rd, 2010 10:24 AM

Since my last name is Wyatt, we can never use the first name.... Wyatt. :lol: I really like that name for a boy, too. :rolleyes:

lexicon September 23rd, 2010 10:47 AM

We often joke that we should name our next kid Trans so when you say Trans and our last name... it sounds like Transparent. :rolleyes:

Any P names are out. People screw up our last name ALL the time (it's so simple?) and say "Parrot" instead.

rubyredslipperz September 23rd, 2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyctre (Post 21584260)
My maiden name was Bush, and my father almost got away with naming my sister "Rose." I know some poor child is out there with "Ima." Ima Bush, Ima Stone...

Worst I've seen was in school, a friend's dad(also a coach) was named Paul Enis. All of the jerseys were first initial and last name. Guess who was sending his jersey back for a new one?

OH EM GEE! That's terrible.. I think some parents do stuff like that on purpose, some joke! I've run across some that were pretty bad too. When I was pregnant with my first, my ex's last name is Cox and I was reading down the names in a baby book and read outloud the name "Cloris" as in Cloris Leechman and he just violently shook his head and said "No way." I thought about it and said Oh.. yeah, that wouldn't end well lol.

As for now, the only name off limits really is Harrison, since our last name is Harris. I'm picky with most H names but some I do like/will allow.