JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   let's hear... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2109656-lets-hear.html)

carlyheartsphil September 20th, 2010 07:21 PM

let's hear...

the story behind your babies name! Why you chose it, who came up with it, if they are named after someone and any other details you want to included. Even if your baby isn't here yet, I'd still love to hear the story :smile:

------

As for my 4 girls:

Alaina Rhoslyn- It took us almost the whole pregnancy to find the name Alaina. We were pretty set on Delilah for a girl but one day while I was watching TV there was a girl named Lainey and I fell in love with it, so I thought about it for a bit and Phil suggested Alaina nn Lainey. We thought about Delaney for a bit too but I liked the more feminine Alaina so that's what we wound up going with! Rhoslyn is my mil's name, she was fighting breast cancer at the time and she has always been like a second mother to me ever since Phil and I started dating so it was important for me to honor her.

Natalia Lorraine- When I was pregnant with the twins I looked for names that were feminine but had nicknames that I liked. Natalia was a name Phil suggested and it took awhile for it to grow on me but I loved the nn Talia and Tally so it went on the list. When the girls arrived Phil picked one name and I picked the other. We knew the middle names would be after my parents so we used whichever sounded best with the first name, Lorraine is my moms name.

Georgia Carol- Georgia was a late addition to the list. I started to get sick of the names I had and felt like none of them stood out to me so I started to look more. I loved the nns Gigi and Gia but I wanted a long name to fit with Alaina and the rest of the girls names on the list. On another board I post on someone had a little Georgia and I fell in love with it. Carol is in honor of my dad (Carl) and his middle name is George so I thought it was kind of neat that her name was his name feminized and flipped!

Penelope Julia- Again, Penelope was a late addition to the list. I was pretty set on using Susanna(h) nn Susie but it bothered me that a lot of people didn't really like it. I also liked Rosalie but was afraid of the Twilight connection. I've always liked Daphne but DH hates it so I looked for something similar. Penelope popped up one day on Nymbler, I mentioned it to DH and he said it was pretty so I put it at the top of my list. Of course I liked that it had a nn that I liked and I felt it went well with my girls names. After she was born we were still deciding between Susanna and Penelope but everyone at the hospital, even the nurses were commenting on how cute Penny was so we went with it and I am so happy that we did. Julia is in honor of the men in Phil's family (his mn is Julian, his father's name is Julian and his grandfather is Julius)

-----

that wound up being long, yours don't have to be that long... only if you want them to be! :p

doremi September 20th, 2010 10:58 PM

Re: let's hear...

Josiah Earl: My Dad died of cancer when I was 4 months pregnant. I had promised him that the middle name would be Earl if I had a boy. My dad's full name was Earl J ________ III. My great grandfather was the first Earl J, and he was an Olympic gold medalist in the 400 meter high hurdles. My brother is Joseph Earl. DH and I wanted a biblical first name (also my Dad's preference), and both loved Josiah. It just worked out that it ALSO used the initials that are so prevalent in my family. After deciding on the name, we learned that one of the meanings of Josiah can be, "The Lord has healed". "The Lord has healed Earl" seemed like the perfect description for my Dad's entrance into heaven. So, there ya go :smile:

ashleighgurl September 21st, 2010 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doremi (Post 21584446)
Josiah Earl: My Dad died of cancer when I was 4 months pregnant. I had promised him that the middle name would be Earl if I had a boy. My dad's full name was Earl J ________ III. My great grandfather was the first Earl J, and he was an Olympic gold medalist in the 400 meter high hurdles. My brother is Joseph Earl. DH and I wanted a biblical first name (also my Dad's preference), and both loved Josiah. It just worked out that it ALSO used the initials that are so prevalent in my family. After deciding on the name, we learned that one of the meanings of Josiah can be, "The Lord has healed". "The Lord has healed Earl" seemed like the perfect description for my Dad's entrance into heaven. So, there ya go :smile:

I just wanted to tell you that I think you have such an amazing story behind your child's name. I am so sorry for your loss. I think you honored him in such a beautiful way.

We chose Kyleigh because my name is Ashleigh and DH's name is Kyle. We just combined them. :p Her middle name is Jenelle. My mom's name is Michelle and her partner's name is Jennifer. So, we combined those two names, too!

~LaurenNoel~ September 21st, 2010 06:58 AM

Most people would die if they knew the real story behind Wesley's name. DH and I (before we knew each other, and were very young) loved the band Limp Bizkit. Wesley is named after the awesome guitarist, Wes Borland. :giggle:

Bedazzled September 21st, 2010 07:00 AM

Blaise Jacob- DH & I went to school with a boy named Blaise. Once we got serious and started discussing names this one came up and we loved it. We didn't name Blaise after him (neither of us were really friends with him...just aquaintances) but we did get his name from him. Jacob is in honor of my dad.

dansgirl September 21st, 2010 07:47 AM

Makenna Lauryn~ I saw McKenna one day long before I was pregnant and suggested it. DH didn't like it. I loved the nn "kenna" and thought okay, I could use Kendra instead. Then when we got pregnant, I met a little girl named Makena, but everyone said her name wrong. So I decided to spell it Makenna and DH ended up liking it! We didn't pick her mn until the hospital. Lauryn wasn't even on a list of ones I liked, but for some reason it popped up and we love it! We almost went with Makenna Rylee. We had Archer William picked out if she was a boy since the gender was a surprise.

Olivia Kate~ We didn't pick out names until I was 7 days overdue and heading into my induction. Which was frustrating b/c I had wanted to talk about them MONTHS ago obviously, lol. I really liked Sophia, and wanted to use Sophia Kate. DH didn't like it. I didn't like Olivia at first b/c I thought you had to say "O"-livia vs. "uh"-livia. But many ppl I talked to said it the second way and a pronounciation website even said you could say them either way. So we say "uh-livia". I loved the nn Livy. Kate is b/c it is cute and my sister is Katherine, nn "Katie". I almost went with "Katelyn" to mimic the style in Makenna's mn. We didn't decide until after she was born. Gender was a surprise again so if she was a boy, we might have used Cohen Theodore.

mrsjl September 21st, 2010 08:49 AM

Rebecca Michelle - When I was about 8 years old I decided my first daughter would be Rebecca Lynne. When I got pregnant at 20, I changed it to Rebecca Ann (Ann is my middle name). On my due date, I decided I didn't want Ann anymore, but it would be cool if we named her Rebecca James because James is DH's middle name and it's not too masculine and it sounded cute, but DH didn't like it. So one day I was having lunch with my dad and he said, "Why are you naming her Rebecca? what about Michelle? Michelle is a nice name." A few nights later DH and I were in bed running through names and I said "Rebecca Michelle?" and he said, "I was just going to say that!" so there it was. In hindsight, I REALLY wish we had stuck with Rebecca Ann. I regret it every day!

Nathan Christopher - Before I was even pregnant DH and I knew if we had a boy he would be named Nathan. Initially it was going to be Nathan Parker, but then DH decided he really wanted him named after him (DH's first name is Christopher) and what was I going to say to that? No, you can't name your son after you? If I had MY way, he would be Nathan Connor, but DH didn't like Connor.

It really bothers me that Nathan is named after DH and Rebecca isn't named after anybody, which is why I wish we had named her Rebecca Ann, or gave Nathan his own name, too. Although "Rebecca" is a very special name to me, having had it picked out more than a decade before it was needed, so I guess that's something. and I guess I am okay with not loving their middle names 100% since I got my way with the first names (even though DH liked them too.)

carlyheartsphil September 21st, 2010 03:23 PM

great stories so far!

Candimom2 September 21st, 2010 04:40 PM

Ethan Joseph - We loved the meaning of Ethan which is 'firm and strong' and we also liked that it was Biblical. Joseph is to honor FIL Robert Joseph, and we also loved the meaning 'He will enlarge/prosper'. Looking back I laugh at firm and strong because I never looked at it in the negative light, but man, Ethan has been our toughest one! :p

Caleb Alexander - We had originally passed over Caleb since we knew a few, but I was reading the book 'Caleb' by Francine Rivers and I loved the portrayal that she gave him, and also the meaning 'loyal'. Alexander was my original choice for a first name with the nn Xander, but DH didn't like it, so we chose it for a mn. The meaning is 'defender' or 'defending man'. This fit perfect with 'loyal'. It fits him to a T.

doremi September 21st, 2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashleighgurl (Post 21584680)
I just wanted to tell you that I think you have such an amazing story behind your child's name. I am so sorry for your loss. I think you honored him in such a beautiful way

That means a lot to me. Thank you so much!

Hey There September 22nd, 2010 05:52 AM

My husband and I both have really popular names so we knew we didn't want something very common. We could NOT agree on any names. He wasn't what I'd call 'into' names. He sure liked shooting mine down but never had any ideas of his own so everyday, we went through 10 pages of a baby name book. We happened to be on 'S'. I was really liking Sutton and Sullivan but he had already shot those 2 down. When we got to Summitt in the baby name book, I knew he was going to love it. As soon as it came out of my mouth, he said 'yep, that's it'. I wasn't too sure at first. I liked a lot of other 'tt' names so it fit into a certain style I liked but I just wasn't sure. We told a few people the names we were considering and they all loved it. By the time he was born, it had grown on me and now I love it. Nicholas is after my dad.

sethsmum September 22nd, 2010 07:53 AM

Seth James Christopher - We didn't pick his name until I was about 32 weeks. We had a girl name, which was Caitlin Rose. Even though thats my sisters name it was the only name we could really agree on (16 and 17, very argumentative!). We were watching the OC one night and DF was like, what about Seth? I fell in love with it and so we went with that. James is his grandfathers name and Christopher is DF. I'm very glad we didn't use our girl name, it really isn't my style at all!

Caspar William George - I can't even remember finding his name, I think I made a list straight away, and we had Caspar, Felix and Milo on our list. We didn't find out the gender, but I believe we had Anna picked for a girl. Anyway, the more pregnant I got, we decided definitely on Caspar, it was the one we both loved. His middle names are family names on my side, my brother, uncle and cousin all have those middle names.

Iris Winter We had Felix picked for a boy this time, she was a complete surprise so we just went with what we had from last time. Iris was a name I found on a website, and I got Winter from Nicole Richie!! She was going to be Iris Elizabeth Ann, but after she was born so early I decided she deserved a name that was completely her own, incase she did pass, which she did. I'm glad we did that now, because I love her name so much, and it is completely hers

Tobias Arthur Jack For agggges, he was going to be Zane, which I still love, but it just didn't feel like his name. I really like Toby, but wasn't sure whether to go for Tobias or Tobin. We decided on Tobias as I think it fits better with our other childrens names, and he is always Toby anyway. His middle names are after my grandfather and DF's other grandfather. He was going to be Sadie Winter Rose if he'd been a girl

P*to*the*ORTIA September 22nd, 2010 08:21 AM

Adrea Lenae We had been dating for a coupl of months. DH had a dream that we had got married and our first child was a girl and we named her Adrea. Well, a year later it happened. Her mn was a suggestion from someone online.

Ryne Everett DH played 2nd base and Ryne Sandberg from the Chicago Cubs was his favorite player. He asked me if we ever had a boy if we could use that name. I happened to like it so I said yes. Everett was a name I picked out that I liked and thought sounded good.

Brin Jakob We had a hard time deciding on Brins name. I wanted to name him Miles but DH didn't really like that name. We argued for months. He had a friend in the Navy named Bryn. We started talking about it and decided we would use that. We changed the Y to an I because we thought it was to close to the spelling of Ryne. Jakob is after DH's best friend.

KirstyB September 22nd, 2010 09:18 AM

Owen Benjamin Dominic - Owen is the middle name of my great (x3) Grandad who fought and died in WW1, I always felt a connection to him for some reason and didn't like his first name (Allan) so decided to use his middle name :)
Benjamin and Dominic are my fiance's brother's names, they were triplets but Benjamin and Dominic both died at 5 days old.

Bedazzled September 22nd, 2010 09:28 AM

Love these stories :)

sunshineblue September 22nd, 2010 12:11 PM

Olivia Sydney I split up with Liv's dad the day I discovered I was pregnant and although he said he wanted to be involved he wasn't really into discussing names and only really came up with boys names. So girls names were completely down to me. Right from the start I loved Olivia, I just thought it was beautiful and I loved the nn's Liv and Livvy. I did consider Sydney int eh beginning as this was my grandad's name (I was v close to him, after my parents divorced I practically lived with him and my grandma and he died when I was ten) and I really wanted to honour him. But while I liked Sydney I just didn't love it. When I went into hospital I had a short-list of boys and girls names and as soon as I saw my baby I turned to my sister and said "She's Olivia." And she so is, the name is perfect for her. I wasn't sure on a mn at first and she was a couple of days old when I realised Sydney fit perfectly.

lexicon September 22nd, 2010 01:14 PM

Alexandra Michelle-- A few months after DH and I started dating, we were having a conversation about marriage/kids (we both knew we wanted to get married and have kids) and we both blurted out at the SAME time that we loved the name Alexandra for a girl. That was 6 years ago. So we always knew if we had a daughter her name would be Alexandra. Michelle is my MIL's first name.

Aurora Lynn-- When I was about 5 weeks pregnant I put together a list of names that I liked since my DH just didn't want to take discussing baby names that seriously :rolleyes: So one day I gave him my list and asked him if he even liked ANY of them. He looked at it. Waddled up the paper and threw it back at me. I got mad because I thought he wasn't taking it seriously like always... and he rolled his eyes and said he only liked ONE name on my entire list. So I was annoyed with him but I asked him which one he liked. It was Aurora. Which was my FAVORITE name on the list. He LOVES the name. :wub: And we gave her the middle name Lynn since both of her aunts have the middle name Lynn and we'd like to stick with family names as middle names.

carlyheartsphil September 22nd, 2010 07:49 PM

everyone has such great stories!

MommaOnCloud9 September 22nd, 2010 11:57 PM

Isabella Alica - We just loved Isabella before we TTC'ed and stuck with it. Alica is after my mom's twin sister who passed away in 1994. She was almost like a 2nd mom to me as I saw her all the time since my mom and she were so close.

Max Anthony - We just loved Max. Anthony is after FIL.

Theo Thomas - We just love Theo. Thomas is after FIL's grandpa.

Jack Henry - We love this full name and it is FIL's dad's name. If we didn't already have a Max, we'd have highly considered it for Theo.

I first suggested all of our children's names to Dh. He has never come up with one on his own. He did like the idea of naming all three of our sons up his line of men although he does not want a son with his name for a mn. But, if we were to ever have another son, we'd have to, almost. Otherwise, the boy would be named after his great, great, great grandpa and I think that's just too far removed for any real significance.

For another baby, I have these picked out:

Rhys Timothy - I like Rhys with our other kids names and on its own. Timothy, obviously, after his daddy.

Liliana Katherine "Lily Kate" - Liliana because we love it. Both of Dh's grandmas are Katherine/Kathryns, so it's appropriate.

I mentioned this in another thread and I didn't do it on my purpose, but all three of my boys have names of characters that Clive Owen :wub: has played. I think he is such a hottie!!! We even had Owen picked out for the first half of Max's pregnancy and were going to use it for one of these boys if we didn't come up with anything else we loved more.

CameraLinds September 23rd, 2010 02:04 AM

Zane Gibson-Porter-
we knew we weren't going to name our kids until after birth, we wanted to meet them and have their name really fit them. But we of course worked on a list during pregnancy...when our nephew was born in Dec my SIL asked for naming help again and I pulled up my name list to make sure not to share our faves with her, so DH looked at my list and saw Zane and said he really liked it. And it wasn't on our initial 4 name list we narrowed it down too. And it started growing on me. DS was born 7 weeks after my nephew and after he was born we felt like Zane was the name for him. (how I got the name Zane...was my sister's friends older brother's were Zack and Zane and I thought Zane was a cool name. I was obsessed with names ever since I could remember, Zane is one of the few names that survived the list since then until now)

We got Gibson, also ironically from my sister's other friend's lil brother, his name was Gibson and I thought it was cool, so I put it on my list and DH liked it too especially with the Gibson brand guitars, as he plays the guitar and we thought it sounded good with Zane.

Porter is DH's middle name which he's named after his great grandpa that I think he met only once as a baby, so we picked DH's middle name for his other middle name, because we knew too we wanted out kids to have double middle names- to be different and to honor family.