JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Girl Names - WDYT? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2112645-girl-names-wdyt.html)

rubyredslipperz September 23rd, 2010 03:15 PM

Girl Names - WDYT?

I never have a problem coming up with them, I just have a problem narrowing down to one. We're not even pregnant yet but I've been thinking about a list, I had it on a back burner for a while and it's been falling into the forefront of my mind lately so I thought I'd share it and get your opinions...I like names that have a great significance, not so much on family but a strong biblical character or historical character...DH is ok as long as its a 'normal-old schoolish' name.

1. Helen Ivy - I really like it and so does DH, I always liked Helen Keller.

2. Janessa Kathaleen - Yes the MN is spelled like that bc its after MIL. I am not a huge huge fan of Janessa but it sounded good together and I like the NN 'nessie' .. I can't use Vanessa because that is our niece's mn, I know it might still be up for grabs I just don't like using names other family members have used, just a pet peeve.

3. Naomi Ruth - I'm worried it might sound too cliche' after the characters Naomi and Ruth in the bible, but I like how they sound together and I really love the characters.

4. Harriet Rose - I like the character Harriet Tubman & I love the nn Hattie, surprisingly DH likes it too.

5. Doreen ? - In all honesty IDK if this should really be on the list but I like the nn Dory, have no MN or character behind it.

6. Ava Catharine - I have always liked the name Ava but worried about its popularity.

7. Juliette Florence - I love the name Juliet, I think its one of the most beautiful sounding names. And Florence is after my g.grandmother whom I never met but always heard stories about what a wonderful woman she was.

8. Margaret Edna - I had a dream about 5 months ago that I gave birth to a baby girl and her name was Maggie, and Edan is my maternal grandmother's name whom I absolutely adore and would love to honor her with a namesake. She's one of those gals who won't let you get away with anything but will support you no matter what.

9. Hazel Sara - Hazel is DH's grandma's name and Sara is a name we both really like.

10. Felicity ? - Not after the TV show, I just always liked it because it means "Happiness"

So, what do you think?

Momtothe6thpower September 23rd, 2010 03:39 PM

Re: Girl Names - WDYT?

I like alot of them! My favorites are Juliette Florence and Naomi Ruth.

I think Felicity Hazel would make a cute, spunky combo.

doremi September 23rd, 2010 10:27 PM

My absolute favorite is Juliette Florence :wub:. LOVE IT! Naomi is one of my absolute favorite biblical names for a girl, but I don't really care for the cliche of pairing it with Ruth. Plus, I've never really liked the name Ruth. I like Naomi with virtue names for the mn:
Naomi Grace
Naomi Joy
Naomi Hope

I also think it could sound nice with some of your other names on your list:
Naomi Edna
Naomi Florence

The names that are nmsaa from your list are:
Harriet: I really dislike the nn Hattie
Doreen: the full name feels dated to me, and with how popular Finding Nemo has been, I wouldn't really want a child with the nn Dory... that's just me!

If you are worried about popularity, then I would definitely remove Ava Catharine, even though I think it is a beautiful name.

I think you have so many names with strong meanings to choose from, I probably wouldn't choose Janessa when you don't seem to love it and are just picking it because you want to use that particular mn.

I love the nn Maggie, but am not crazy about Edna. What about honoring your grandma by picking a different mn that started with E? Margaret Elise comes to mind.

Hope that helped some! Good luck!

Miracle September 24th, 2010 12:19 AM

I love Ava & Felicity. :wub: I also like Juliette- I wasn't a big fan of it before but it's growing on me.

demumbran0516 September 24th, 2010 04:30 AM

1. Helen Ivy - I like the names but not together.

2. Janessa Kathaleen - I am not a fan of Janessa. It looks made up to me, and plus there are so many ways say it for me. Juh-nessa, Jan-essa...

3. Naomi Ruth - This is one of my favorites!

4. Harriet Rose - I would be scared of the nn children will give her.

5. Doreen ? - I think Mary Doreen is cute. and your right Doreen is really hard to pair with a middle name.

6. Ava Catharine - Really popular, but a very classic name.

7. Juliette Florence - I love the name Juliet, I think its one of the most beautiful sounding names. And Florence is after my g.grandmother whom I never met but always heard stories about what a wonderful woman she was.

8. Margaret Edna - I would reverse the names. Edna Margaret is really pretty and you can always call her Maggie.

9. Hazel Sara - I would again reverse the names. Its a flow thing, and Im weird but they dont flow right to me this way.

10. Felicity ? - This is in our list as well. And I love it too, but its really hard to match as well.

I like your names. Very classic names.

rubyredslipperz September 24th, 2010 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momtothe5thPower (Post 21615915)
I like alot of them! My favorites are Juliette Florence and Naomi Ruth.

I think Felicity Hazel would make a cute, spunky combo.

Oh! I never thought about Felicity Hazel before but I love it!!!

Thank you all for the help, you really helped knock a few off the list or at least down the list. I guess I should get my DH's honest opinion on them, that might help narrow it down too lol!

*Kristina September 24th, 2010 01:40 PM

What about Hazel Edna to combine both grandmothers?