JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Do you notice when... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2117727-do-you-notice-when.html)

Bedazzled September 29th, 2010 07:26 AM

Do you notice when...

Do you notice when one child in a sibset doesn't share a common letter in their name as the other children? For instance, if you heard the sibset Ryan, Mackenzie and Lorelei. Would it jump out at you that Lorelei doesn't have an N? Would it bother you?

Julka September 29th, 2010 07:43 AM

Re: Do you notice when...

Not at all, I wouldn't have noticed something like that whatsoever. What I usually do notice is if 3 siblings were named: James, Jacob, and Landon. The 2 J's and 1 L does jump at me.

doremi September 29th, 2010 07:53 AM

Nope, that sibset wouldn't bother me one bit. I DO notice if there are two fn's that START with the same letter and then one that doesn't. If it is two boys and a girl, such as Ryan, Robert & Sarah, it doesn't bother me. If there are two or three of the same gender and one has a different starting letter than all the others in the sibset, it bothers me. Also, I think ending combos can stick out. For instance, if the other sibset names end in -on and then one doesn't.

ImagineOctober September 29th, 2010 08:20 AM

I wouldn't notice the missing "n" in the example names you gave, that would probably never cross my mind. But, like the PP said, I would notice if two of the names start with the same letter and the third doesn't. I would also notice if two of the names ended in the same letter/sound and the third doesn't, like....Jadyn, Tristan and Lila. It would probably personally bother me if I had two kids with the same starting or ending and was having another, I'd feel like I'd have to find a "matching" name probably.

Bedazzled September 29th, 2010 10:46 AM

Maybe I am the only one OCD enough to notice. It bothers me to no end that none of the boy names I love have an L like Blaise & Avenley....or they have an N (Callen, Zane) and therefore Blaise will be left out.

I know, I know...I put waaaay too much thought into this :shhh:

kristi714 September 29th, 2010 11:29 AM

I don't notice at all. I just notice when more than one names begin with the same letter and then 1 doesn't.

LadyGamer September 29th, 2010 12:38 PM

Nope. Wouldn't even phase me.

carlyheartsphil September 29th, 2010 12:43 PM

Nope, that wouldn't bother me!

~LaurenNoel~ September 29th, 2010 02:35 PM

It bothers me when there are 2 children, and the third is missing a sound (like the example you gave). You are not alone. :p

no.absolutes September 29th, 2010 03:48 PM

I definitely notice stuff like that! My stepsons are Christian, Jonathan, and Jayden.... and I said I didn't want our babies to have anything in common with their names... well, I went with Grayson... they all end in N... it drives me insane, but I got over it. Now if we have a boy we're going with Harrison, so yeah, it ends in a hard N too, but it ends in "son" just like Grayson.

MommaOnCloud9 September 29th, 2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doremi (Post 21673390)
Nope, that sibset wouldn't bother me one bit. I DO notice if there are two fn's that START with the same letter and then one that doesn't. If it is two boys and a girl, such as Ryan, Robert & Sarah, it doesn't bother me. If there are two or three of the same gender and one has a different starting letter than all the others in the sibset, it bothers me. Also, I think ending combos can stick out. For instance, if the other sibset names end in -on and then one doesn't.

:ditto:

I don't notice it unless it's a rare letter like X or Z...maybe even O.

Max, Xane, and Joe does look funny to me.

Theo, Oliver, and Luke look a little funny to me.

Now, what I do notice is when all the siblings but one have a double letter, like:
Charlotte, Wyatt, and Sadie
Elliott, Lilliana, and Zack

Miracle September 29th, 2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julka (Post 21673282)
Not at all, I wouldn't have noticed something like that whatsoever. What I usually do notice is if 3 siblings were named: James, Jacob, and Landon. The 2 J's and 1 L does jump at me.

Ditto!

If I looked at the names in the sibset long enough, I'm sure I could come up with similarities and differences but most of the time you're not looking at all the names together- you just hear them..

NavyWifey September 30th, 2010 12:35 AM

My dad has had 5 kids, across 3 marriages.

So, Tracy from his wife's previous marriage.

Then, Tamitha and Linda, who are same-mother-different-father to Tracy.

Then Monroe and Nicolle, from a different marriage much later.

Tami, Tracy, Linda, Monroe, and Nicolle... I've never thought that our sibset was odd, but it probably helps that it was a large enough time difference that it was always Tami, Tracy, and Linda as one set and Monroe and Nicolle as the other. If anyone ever thought it was odd, they never told me.

*~ Joni ~* September 30th, 2010 07:43 AM

No. I would notice if they all started with the same letter but one didn't, or all ended with the same letter and one didn't, but I don't think I'd notice a middle letter theme.

WhoaMomma! September 30th, 2010 12:51 PM

I don't notice any of that stuff. But I think it's bc my parents sucked at names :lol: We are Carl, Danielle, Cory, Aaron, Michelle, and Erica. No rhyme or reason at all!

I taught a sibset once that was K'Twona, Alshateq, and James. Now THAT I noticed :rofl:

Cece September 30th, 2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julka (Post 21673282)

:iagree: