JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Taking Mother's Maiden Name (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/222187-taking-mother-s-maiden-name.html)

dansgirl June 6th, 2006 08:38 PM

I really have a special place in my heart for my grandfather (my mom's dad) and would love to name a son after him..only switch the first and last name places. My mother's maiden name (and his last name of course) is Porter. Which I am starting to Adore for a little boy. Well my grandfather's name is Robert Porter...so I was thinking of maybe using Porter Robert. Robert isn't exactly my style though, so I wasn't really sure about it. But it would have such special significance, ya know? And Robert is also my father's name, and my brother's middle name. So If I had a son and named him Porter Robert (which I think flows very nicely together and sounds very manly and strong-sounding) he would be named after his great-grandfather, grandfather, and uncle all at the same time. Just those facts together makes me kinda get over the fact I don't really prefer the name Robert. What do you think? Do you like the name Porter for a boy? And how about Robert (I know it will prob. not be a style many of you ladies would like..but do you like the whole name significance thing as well)

dkmommy June 6th, 2006 08:41 PM

i LOVE it!!!!!! and the significance behind me makes me love it even more!!!! what a great idea!

dansgirl June 6th, 2006 08:46 PM

thanks lane6901! :)

MamaBx3 June 7th, 2006 11:03 AM

Quote:

i LOVE it!!!!!! and the significance behind me makes me love it even more!!!! what a great idea![/b]
I agree !
I love the name Porter

Jen25 June 7th, 2006 11:10 AM

I think it flows great! And I love the signifigance. Great choice :bluecheer:

suthernWVswthrt June 7th, 2006 02:17 PM

I absolutely love the idea..especially since I plan on doing the same with a future daughter. My grandfather passed away and he had only daughter's...and my grandmother got remarried so his last name is no longer around. So I plan on using my mother's maiden name for one of my future daughters.

I think Porter is really cute...I like it a lot.

Blondie6836 June 7th, 2006 02:50 PM

I think its a great idea! If I was a boy I was gonna be my moms maiden name (Simon)...thats kinda dorky tho...thank God your maiden name happens to be adorable!

ladyellise June 7th, 2006 05:48 PM

Good idea, and very cute! :)

mom2LyricStoryLegend June 7th, 2006 06:57 PM

I think it is cute. I usually really like last names as first names.

mlbsnb June 7th, 2006 07:51 PM

Very cute to me! And significance is what's most imp (after all, who uses their mn's on a regular basis). Good choice!

Both of my boys are named after family. Scott Nicholas and Wyatt Christopher. I love old fashioned classics so i got lucky that they were both names of significance. The mn's are quite common, like Robert, but it's the significance that makes them special.

picklesmama June 7th, 2006 09:35 PM

I think it's a nice name made even nicer by the significance.
My 1st son's middle name is my maiden name, my 2nd son's is my grandmother's. My mother's maiden name was already used by my aunt for my cousin :) This time around I'm thinking of using my MILs maiden name, Barrett.

Jinxcat June 7th, 2006 09:50 PM

I like Porter a lot!