JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   How would you spell ??? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2343673-how-would-you-spell.html)

mary30 June 5th, 2011 09:11 PM

How would you spell ???

Well we think we have a girl name .... Madeline (pn Mad - e lynn )

What are some different ways that you would spell this name ? Nothing to off the wall? What is your favorite

Our boys names is Logan ,but Of course this is the only spelling I can think of that would look good !!

Thanks ladies

tiffany&co. June 5th, 2011 09:49 PM

Re: How would you spell ???

I like it spelled Madelyn. Not too off the wall at all IMO and looks easy to pronounce.

DecemberBelle June 5th, 2011 10:11 PM

My daughter's name is Audrey Jo but we were considering Audrey Madalyn. I also like Madeline, Madelyn, Madeleine ... beautiful name.

jersey_gray June 5th, 2011 10:36 PM

Madelyn. I would see Madeline and say mad-e-line not lynn. But it's whatever you like best!

Momtothe6thpower June 5th, 2011 10:47 PM

Madelyn or Madeleine

Madeline is Mad uh line to me.

mary30 June 6th, 2011 07:18 AM

Thank you girls. You all proved my point. I am trying to tell dh that madeline would be pn Mad e line ....

::er!ca:: June 6th, 2011 09:06 AM

MADELINE
Usage: English, French
Pronounced: MAD-ə-lin (English), MAD-ə-lien (English), ma-də-LEEN (French), mad-LEEN (French)

I would stick with the Madeline spelling.

Lucy_217 June 6th, 2011 10:11 AM

I have this on my list too! I'm spelling it Madeleine :)

IAmMomMomIAm June 6th, 2011 11:46 AM

Regardless of how it's intended to be pronounced in English, the Madeline spelling will be pronounced Mad-uh-line to a great many Americans.

Quote:

In an old house in Paris, that was covered with vines, lived twelve little girls in two straight lines. In two straight lines they broke their bread, and brushed their teeth, and went to bed. They smiled at the good, and frowned at the bad, and sometimes they were very sad. They left the house at half past nine, in two straight lines, in rain or shine. The smallest one- was Madeline.
So I would say that if you don't mind correcting people often, go with Madeline. If you don't want to correct people, go with Madelyn or Madelynn. :p

sethsmum June 6th, 2011 11:51 AM

Madeleine, Madeline, Madelyn etc are all said the same here in England, which is Mad-a-LIN

Erin_0225 June 6th, 2011 11:53 AM

When my daughter was in the NICU there was another baby named, Madolyn.

I loved it written on her sign with her picture. I am considering it for a second child as a middle name...

Noel Madolyn

L.C. June 6th, 2011 01:46 PM

In my opinion, Madeline or Madeleine are both pronounced mad-uh-LINE.
Madelyn would be mad-uh-LIN.

LadyGamer June 6th, 2011 02:02 PM

I'd do Madelyn so it wouldn't need to be corrected all the time.

P*to*the*ORTIA June 6th, 2011 02:11 PM

I would spell it Madelyn or Madilyn.

mary30 June 6th, 2011 02:18 PM

I am trying to talk Dh into Madelyn or Madelynn.. But he likes Madeline because of the some story of a girl named this ?? I think someone quoted it earlier

IAmMomMomIAm June 6th, 2011 02:26 PM

The Madeline from the story is pronounced "Mad-uh-LINE" so it's not a very good argument on his part. If he wants it after the story, then her name should be Madeline, not Madelyn. And if he wants the name Madelyn, then he shouldn't spell it after the character who pronounces it differently. :lol:

RaevnJ June 6th, 2011 02:37 PM

Lovely choice, I think your pronounciation is clearest when spelled Madelyn[n], with Madeline she would be correcting people all the time.

Gaby&Emmy'sMama June 6th, 2011 09:14 PM

I like it spelt Madelin or Madelyn.. i think I prefer Madelyn. With the Madeline spelling I never know if it is Mad-e-line or Mad-e-lynn

CeilidhBrennan June 7th, 2011 01:55 AM

Madeline is mad-eh-line to me so I would spell it Madelyn

elleword June 7th, 2011 06:41 AM

I prefer Madeline, HOWEVER I like it said Mad-Uh-Line. If you want it pronounced Mad-a-lyn, I would definately go with Madelyn/Madalyn!