JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Popular Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2384780-popular-names.html)

elleword July 31st, 2011 09:59 AM

Popular Names

I'm curious... putting aside the top 100 name lists we have, what names from your area are popular from YOUR experiences.

---

In my area (QLD, Australia) I have noticed that a lot of unisex names or typically boy names are becoming more popular for girls... such as Kolby/Kolbi, Avery, Reese, Ryan etc. That being said my own name, Sophie, is becoming increasingly popular... I never knew any other Sophie's growing up. I was surprised to meet several little girls called Jennifer too.

For boys the most popular name I have come across is Oliver... which I love so I hate how common it has become. I've also noticed a lot of Alexander's... which I guess isn't that surprising. But some older fashioned names such as Arthur, Archie/Archer, Edward (Twilight :rolleyes:) are quite prevalent too.

IAmMomMomIAm August 1st, 2011 04:28 AM

Re: Popular Names

According to SSA, the top 10 for each gender in my state are:

Jayden
Jacob
Michael
Anthony
Alexander
Ethan
Joshua
Daniel
Matthew
Gabriel

Isabella
Sophia
Olivia
Emma
Emily
Mia
Ava
Madison
Abigail
Chloe

I know an Ethan and a Gabriel, and they're both about 9ish. And there's an Isabella who's around 3. I don't personally know any of the other ones. The most recent babies born around me are Truman, David, and Margaret (Maggie).

huntersaunt August 1st, 2011 05:49 AM

In my area, there are a lot of children named:
Grace
Ava
Joshua
Ryan
Hannah

AmyLM August 1st, 2011 08:58 AM

Sophia is pretty popular, along with Bella. I've also noticed that McNames are pretty common.

MommaOnCloud9 August 1st, 2011 11:23 PM

Despite what the SSA list says is popular for our state, I've known or known of a lot of children with these names:

Hannah
Katelynn
Lily
Makayla
Kaylee
Ava

Noah
Ethan
Brayden
Conner

Aiden
Hayden
Jayden

Jintana August 2nd, 2011 10:24 PM

Kids I know more than 1 of in Northen CA: Ethan, Elizabeth, Emma, Mateo

jersey_gray August 2nd, 2011 11:08 PM

Northern California here. Elliana/Eliana and Damien though the one boy named Damien is actually Damian? (Bulgarian version).

sethsmum August 3rd, 2011 04:06 AM

These are names I've heard loads of recently, here in England:

Jacob, Oliver and Noah are so popular right now with boys, Oliver is becoming increasingly so.

Evie and Olivia are very popular, there are lots of Olivias at my eldests school, and loads of Evies around the same age as Caspar. Isabel is also very popular, we met two at the park over the last few weeks.

Oliver and Olivia were the most popular names in the UK for 2010

newmomcassie August 4th, 2011 07:12 AM

Aidan, Jayden, Hayden

Isabella

I'm from Pennsylvania :)

Memi August 4th, 2011 12:53 PM

I see tons of kids named:

Addison
Anna
Sophie / Sophia