JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   SO and I have issues with name picking (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2402410-so-and-i-have-issues-name-picking.html)

kazarmo August 26th, 2011 10:50 AM

SO and I have issues with name picking

SO and I butt heads every time names are brought up.
He never suggests anything, well maybe once and then it was just some random name he had just heard on tv.

We have 3 girls already between the two of us and those 3 girls just happen to all have 3 syllable names that end in a.

His suggestion when we first found out about baby was that if it was a girl that she would too also have a 3 syllable name that ends in a or ah sound.

Well we are having a girl and i've suggested about 35 names and none of them he will agree too.

How has everyone else decided?
I did tell him that if we did not have a name picked out by the time i'm 8 months (i'm 5 now) I will pick the name myself with no imput from him. The reason being is that I had my dd early by 3 weeks and i'm afraid that is going to happen again.

The only name he says he likes is Marissa and I hate it. Well not hate it but I don't want my daughter named that. It's just to popular from me and it reminds me of someone from high school I didn't like.

HELP!?

P*to*the*ORTIA August 26th, 2011 12:24 PM

Re: SO and I have issues with name picking

Why not shorten your list and ask him to make a list. Say 5-10 names each. Then come together and compare lists. See if you guys have a similar name that you both agree on.

Good luck!

I guess we got lucky that we both had the same naming style so it was easy for us to pick names.

-Bailey- August 26th, 2011 03:05 PM

Sorry about the difficult name picking. I have the same suggestion, just both of you make a list of your favorite names that goes along that same style. You may get similar names, or something you can combine into a unique name.

I'm lucky, if it's a boy he's just being named after dad since that's their tradition. Because of that if it's a girl I get to name her, I've had the name picked out for years.

mrsjl August 26th, 2011 03:56 PM

what are your other girls names?

Aillidh August 26th, 2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsjl (Post 24710321)
what are your other girls names?

I was wondering this too.

What if you both just picked a list with about 30 names long, looked at the lists and circles the ones you each like. Than maybe you could go from there?

Happy Song August 26th, 2011 06:53 PM

Ha I could have written that post except I am 30 weeks along. My DH also is stuck on two names that he won't seem to budge on.

DH and I am doing a lot of things to bring up names. We are doing something I call the name game in posts. Where each week we pick a name to call baby. I then list the names we have used in my siggy. This has caused a lot of contention but we talk about baby's name at least once a week to pick a name.

We have done last name standing. Started with a group of names and just went back and forth to see what name was left. in our case it was Viviann. But it also let me know which names DH complained about when I crossed them off the list.

We use Nymbler.com for DH to be exposed to new names that he might like and to help him generate a list.

Good luck I am right there with you.

rlmccrady August 26th, 2011 09:01 PM

The only problem my hubby and I had was, all the names we did like, it was used by family memebers. We both like old fashion names but I was more into names that wasn't so popular as he was into more popular names. I didn't want strange spellings because of how kids are and how many times people can spell it wrong, etc.

I would say, write down the names you like, as well as have him do the same, and then maybe you both can pick a name from both list rather it be for the first or middle name and that way you both win, kinda move them around, etc.

Do you plan on using a family name or anything like that? What are your kids name? so we can kinda get a feel of what y'all like..

kazarmo August 29th, 2011 05:25 AM

Ok ladies sorry I haven't answered sooner. SO and I actually got into an arguement Friday night because my dd brought up a name and then I brought up another name and it spiraled from there. So I was just down with the whole name thing this weekend.

Our daughters names are
Karena
Vanessa
Elaina

I told him in a compromise that in about a month I would like for him to have 5 to 10 names picked out and then I would do the same.
SO just sort of nodded and said ok. We will see if he comes through.

Me and the girls all really like the name Aleigha (not sure about spelling though) SO doesnít like it because itís some friends ex girlfriend in high school etc crap etc crap.

I love the name Layla. This is one of my top 5 and SO again says no.

We wouldnít be choosing a family name at all. Although I might choose a family name for mn but not sure about that yet. SO doesnít agree to anything. He keeps thinking we have about 2 years to decide. I donít think he realizes how fast the time is flying by.

Aillidh August 29th, 2011 07:49 AM

What about:

Selena
Talia
Camilla
Liliana
Evangelina
Seraphina
Malia
Isabella
Sophia
Penelope
Savannah
Juliana
Anastasia
Esme
Cecelia
Susannah

mrsjl August 29th, 2011 08:09 AM

What about Rebecca? it has 3 syllables and ends in -a ;)

kazarmo August 29th, 2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aillidh (Post 24723221)
What about:

Selena
Talia
Liliana
Malia
Savannah
Cecelia

i like the names that I kept in the list.

I will put them down on the sheet and work it down from there to be able to give to SO in the next few weeks. Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsjl (Post 24723378)
What about Rebecca? it has 3 syllables and ends in -a ;)

I like rebecca but I almost feel like it is to popular. Please don't take that to harshly I see you have a dd named Rebecca. She is a cutie too :p

SandyBeachSomewhere August 29th, 2011 11:04 AM

Some names that end in A - I think some of them are too close to at least one of your kids, but really that's up to you not me, so I added them anyways.

Melinda
Geneva
Ginevra
Marta
Amira
Adara
Alessa
Ilythia
Audriana
Adelina
Annika
Angelina
Carolina
Eliana
Estrella
Stella
Fiona
Eliza
Iona
Josephina
Jenna
Kira/Kiara/Kiera
Rayana
Honora
Helena
Natalia
Norah
Lilah
Olivia
Persephone
Pippa
Sienna
Sierra
Serena
Teresa / Tessa / Tess
Vienna
Renata
Sonata

carlyheartsphil August 29th, 2011 05:31 PM

how about:

Melina
Marina
Miranda
Adara
Amara
Cordelia
Calista
Zahara
Rhianna
Sienna
Selena
Nerissa
Anissa
Geneva
Vienna
Delila
Daniella

♥womanintheshoe♥ August 29th, 2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

He never suggests anything, well maybe once and then it was just some random name he had just heard on tv.

My dh did this only the names he offered weren't ones he heard on TV, they were old girlfriend's names! We went to high school together and these were nice girls but seriously?! After much heated debate I told him that when he went through the baby name book and took naming our dc as seriously as I did then he would have a say; otherwise, I choose the name and he gets to find out at the birth like everyone else. I must say that has worked wonderfully for us these last 7 pregnancies. ;)

In your situation I would make my own list and not mention it again to dh. If he wants to take naming his dc seriously then he will make his own list and then you can discuss name options. Otherwise, you choose the name, you sign the birth certificate.

Our girl names are also mostly 3-syllable ending in "-a". :smile:

Aillidh August 29th, 2011 09:06 PM

Other suggestions:

Sienna
Chiara
Aurora
Tatiana
Estella
Gianna
Arabella
Gemma
Isla/Ayla
Angelina
Paloma
Adriana
Viviana
Milania
Lorena
Alessandra
Valentina
Alessia
Ariana

kazarmo August 30th, 2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ♥womanintheshoe♥ (Post 24729193)
My dh did this only the names he offered weren't ones he heard on TV, they were old girlfriend's names! We went to high school together and these were nice girls but seriously?! After much heated debate I told him that when he went through the baby name book and took naming our dc as seriously as I did then he would have a say; otherwise, I choose the name and he gets to find out at the birth like everyone else. I must say that has worked wonderfully for us these last 7 pregnancies. ;)

In your situation I would make my own list and not mention it again to dh. If he wants to take naming his dc seriously then he will make his own list and then you can discuss name options. Otherwise, you choose the name, you sign the birth certificate.

Our girl names are also mostly 3-syllable ending in "-a". :smile:

I'm doing this exactly. I was running around the house doing chores last night and my daughter called out a name. My SO asked her a question regarding it but I didnt' hear the question. On purpose because I left the room.
I have my own notebook now with the names I love and will be naming her whatever I want unless SO steps up to the plate.
The thing is though that he says he is taking this seriously and that we have time and why am I in such a rush. "i'm not a discussion person" he says blah blah.

So I do have to ask this, SO and I have been together for some time now. We have no kids together but merged our families, he has 2 dd's I have 1 and now we will have 1 together. I'm on this huge debate about what dd2's last name should be as well?
My dd and I have the same last name, although when I gave birth to her I gave her her fathers last name. she hadn't seen her father since she was 4 and when she was 7 she asked to have her name be my name. So we went to court and had it changed. then her father passed away and I think she slightly regreted wanting her name to change.
I think it's easier to have the same last name and people dont' judge as much ya know.
We do not discuss marriage and I have no idea if this is even in the cards to where I would eventually get his last name. ....

pointers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aillidh (Post 24729841)
Other suggestions:

Sienna
Chiara
Aurora
Tatiana
Estella
Gianna
Arabella
Gemma
Isla/Ayla
Angelina
Paloma
Adriana
Viviana
Milania
Lorena
Alessandra
Valentina
Alessia
Ariana

thanks adding a couple to my notebook.

huntersaunt August 30th, 2011 02:10 PM

I love your idea of Aleigha, especially with your other girls: Karena, Vanessa, Elaina and Aleigha. Beautiful! the only change I would make is the spelling. I would spell it Alia or Aliya, but that's only me!

SandyBeachSomewhere August 30th, 2011 05:33 PM

If it were me, I would give the baby his last name, but I'm a big fan of that given the parents are on good terms. If the guy is around and participating when the baby is born, then the baby would get his last name. That's me, though, and I think either way you do it is fine. If you're not married it's perfectly acceptable for her to have your last name, or you could hyphenate it so she'd have both.

♥womanintheshoe♥ August 31st, 2011 12:03 AM

Quote:

So I do have to ask this, SO and I have been together for some time now. We have no kids together but merged our families, he has 2 dd's I have 1 and now we will have 1 together. I'm on this huge debate about what dd2's last name should be as well?
My dd and I have the same last name, although when I gave birth to her I gave her her fathers last name. she hadn't seen her father since she was 4 and when she was 7 she asked to have her name be my name. So we went to court and had it changed. then her father passed away and I think she slightly regreted wanting her name to change.
I think it's easier to have the same last name and people dont' judge as much ya know.
We do not discuss marriage and I have no idea if this is even in the cards to where I would eventually get his last name. ....

pointers?

Hyphenating both last names might work. My sil's new baby has my sil's last name as a middle name and then my brother's last name (did that make any sense?). So that's another option.

kazarmo August 31st, 2011 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyBeachSomewhere (Post 24736164)
If it were me, I would give the baby his last name, but I'm a big fan of that given the parents are on good terms. If the guy is around and participating when the baby is born, then the baby would get his last name. That's me, though, and I think either way you do it is fine. If you're not married it's perfectly acceptable for her to have your last name, or you could hyphenate it so she'd have both.

I'm leaning more towards giving baby his last name. He is a great dad to the two daughters he has. Always spends time with them, pays child support on time and alot I might add. Overall he has his quirks but what parent doesn't. I see nothing that would hinder our daughter in the future if I were to give her his last name. Plus who knows what the future holds, we may end up together forever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ♥womanintheshoe♥ (Post 24737933)
Hyphenating both last names might work. My sil's new baby has my sil's last name as a middle name and then my brother's last name (did that make any sense?). So that's another option.

I thought about doing the hypen but then I thought what about when the poor kid went to school and had to fill out paperwork. Where I work I deal with medical paperwork and when people have a last name that is hypdenated it makes it more difficult on me to process. So really leaning against doing this. I do like the idea of making my last name baby's mn. ALthough I do have a mn picked out already it's a family name but SO hasn't agreed to it yet.