JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   s/o WDYT of... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2412133-s-o-wdyt.html)

Aillidh September 11th, 2011 09:36 PM

s/o WDYT of...

the name Catríona?

huntersaunt September 12th, 2011 03:38 AM

Re: s/o WDYT of...

meh. it's okay. nms.

P*to*the*ORTIA September 12th, 2011 05:36 AM

It's very pretty but not my style.

Cassie.S September 12th, 2011 06:35 AM

I agree that it sounds really pretty but I probably wouldn't use it myself.

Aillidh September 12th, 2011 03:18 PM

I like it a little bit, not sure enough to put on my list though. I love the nickname Cat though.

SandyBeachSomewhere September 12th, 2011 03:59 PM

I think it's really pretty, but it's also a little "foreign" if that makes sense. There's nothing wrong with foreign names, I just think they are sometimes difficult to pull off.

Aillidh September 12th, 2011 04:20 PM

Yeah, if it was up to me, all the names would have a foreign Irish background, but DH is against it for pronunciation reasons. Many of my names were vetoed because of this. He likes the more 'Anglican' spelling.

I'm used to Padraig and Aedhon instead of Patrick and Aiden for example. I like names like Sioda, Finnegan, Murphy, Saoirse, Riordan, Sinead...but yeah a lot of those have been vetoed. Which I don't mind, I've been allowed to keep my main names (except for Gabriel which has nothing to do with Irish names I just liked it). But I'm wondering if he may allow Catríona but I have a feeling he'd say Catherine was better. :rolleyes:

He loves traditional Basque names though, like Aitor, Iruñé and Maité, which I veto in return :p

carlyheartsphil September 12th, 2011 07:06 PM

it's pretty :)

Shades of Grey September 13th, 2011 09:58 AM

I think its pretty but not my style

Niamh ૐ September 13th, 2011 04:09 PM

LOVE it.

By the sounds of it though... we have very similar tastes... so I'll probably be repeating "LOVE it" on most of your posts, haha.

jersey_gray September 14th, 2011 01:07 AM

How is it pronounced?

Aillidh September 15th, 2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jersey_gray (Post 24830523)
How is it pronounced?

Cat-reen-ah.

My2miracles September 17th, 2011 06:49 AM

I struggle with unique spellings - while it is pretty, you are sentencing you child to a lifetime of correcting people's pronunciation & spelling of their name.

Why not just name her Katrina or Catrina?

Aillidh September 17th, 2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2miracles (Post 24852727)
I struggle with unique spellings - while it is pretty, you are sentencing you child to a lifetime of correcting people's pronunciation & spelling of their name.

Why not just name her Katrina or Catrina?

I understand what you're saying with this and normally this is how I would see it, if it was made up. Only to me, this is the real spelling is Catríona in Irish. We probably won't use it though as DH prefers a few others.

Ayla September 17th, 2011 12:35 PM

I guess I was pronouncing it wrong.

I thought: cat-ree-ona ... which I actually really, really enjoy the sound of.
But the way it's supposed to be pronounced, I don't care for as much.

Niamh ૐ September 19th, 2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aillidh (Post 24853626)
I understand what you're saying with this and normally this is how I would see it, if it was made up. Only to me, this is the real spelling is Catríona in Irish. We probably won't use it though as DH prefers a few others.

I agree completely. I knew how to pronounce it right away... I'd totally stick with Catríona. ;)

Merolia September 19th, 2011 08:46 PM

I like it, though I think many people will either mispronounce it or misspell it.

Happy Song September 19th, 2011 09:31 PM

This name is a nightmare for me... she would be three before I even realized I'd been missaying her name! I'd at least be mortified. but still.

Again not a deal breaker but definately would be difficult for me the third party who is the parent to her friend, her coach, or her girl scout leader.

My2miracles September 20th, 2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aillidh (Post 24853626)

Which is great if you live in Ireland but people in the US won't be able to pronounce it or spell it right.

I also would have pronounced it catree-oni.