JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   River (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2412602-river.html)

Heather1628 September 12th, 2011 11:20 AM

River

A friend of mine is pregnant. They arnt sure if its a boy or girl just yet. They have the name River picked out for a little girl. She likes this spelling of the name, while her SO doesnt. What are some other ways to spell River?

I think if she she does Ryver ppl will pronounce it wrong, then she was thinking of Rivyr but I dont know LOL.

Aillidh September 12th, 2011 11:27 AM

Re: River

Hmm...I'm not a huge fan of changing the traditional spelling, as it may be mispronounced.

Ryver...Rivyr...Revyr...Ryvir

Lol.

Heather1628 September 12th, 2011 11:32 AM

I like different spellings but this name I feel like just needs to stay River LOL Thanks

P*to*the*ORTIA September 12th, 2011 02:43 PM

Any other spelling just doesn't look right to me. I think they should just leave it River. I love the name!

SandyBeachSomewhere September 12th, 2011 04:05 PM

He doesn't like the spelling? lol. Sorry, that makes no sense to me. That's like saying "I like the name Meadow, but only spelled Medo." It makes me chuckle. I really think they should leave it as River, because it really doesn't yield well to alternate vowels. And I love that name for a little girl (REALLY dislike it for a boy, though).

Rivere, Rivver, Rivvyr.

Yuck. They all just look yuck to me, lol.

Aillidh September 12th, 2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyBeachSomewhere (Post 24820468)
He doesn't like the spelling? lol. Sorry, that makes no sense to me. That's like saying "I like the name Meadow, but only spelled Medo." It makes me chuckle. I really think they should leave it as River, because it really doesn't yield well to alternate vowels. And I love that name for a little girl (REALLY dislike it for a boy, though).

Rivere, Rivver, Rivvyr.

Yuck. They all just look yuck to me, lol.

I literally LOL'd at this post but :ditto:

I like River for a girl as well, though it's not my style. But I think all the changed spellings of it really make it look silly as well as asking for mispronunciation.

Cassie.S September 12th, 2011 05:41 PM

:ditto: Definitely only spelled River. Anything else just doesn't look right to me.

huntersaunt September 12th, 2011 06:07 PM

I agree with PP, River is the way to go! I like it for a girl! I know two sisters named Forrest and River and I always thought it was cute!

carlyheartsphil September 12th, 2011 07:10 PM

I wouldn't change the spelling, all of the other spellings just look silly to me.. I think word names need to be spelled the original way otherwise it just looks like you don't know how to spell imo!

SandyBeachSomewhere September 13th, 2011 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlyheartsphil (Post 24821999)
I wouldn't change the spelling, all of the other spellings just look silly to me.. I think word names need to be spelled the original way otherwise it just looks like you don't know how to spell imo!

THIS! I really don't like it when people choose word names and spell them wrong. I feel so sorry for drummers everywhere...

jersey_gray September 14th, 2011 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntersaunt (Post 24821410)
I agree with PP, River is the way to go! I like it for a girl! I know two sisters named Forrest and River and I always thought it was cute!

Forrest and River would be an adorable sibset of BROTHERS, poor girls.

I agree with the other posters, River is spelled river. It's a boys name to me.

mrsjl September 14th, 2011 05:44 AM

River spelled this way is acceptable.

Ayla September 17th, 2011 12:38 PM

I prefer it for a male, but..
Definitely JUST River. I think the others don't look right, at all.

Erin_0225 September 18th, 2011 05:28 PM

Love River for a girl. I think I posted about it a few months back. The only other way I could think of that wasnt listed is Riverr. But it does look like a typo too.

NotDoneBaking September 18th, 2011 10:04 PM

+