JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Legacy Middle Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2512076-legacy-middle-names.html)

topato April 9th, 2012 12:23 AM

Legacy Middle Names

DH feels that we can choose whatever first name we want for our future children, but that the middle names we pick need to be established already within our families.

I understand (and agree with) this tradition, but he and I both like names that are a bit more unusual... Our family is names like Marie, Anne, Lynn, Rose, (and for the boys) John, James, Paul, Robert, Richard, and Joseph. All of them are great names, but kind of common, especially as middle names. My middle name is Marie, and I feel like half of all women I know can say the same.

How do you guys feel about this tradition? Should we choose a family name even though they're all commonly used?

Elysia April 9th, 2012 02:01 AM

Re: Legacy Middle Names

I like the tradition of carrying on family names but I also think children need their own identity so I like to put a more unique spin on the traditional names...for example instead of rose maybe Rosalind, Rosalie, Rosemary or instead of James perhaos Jameson. It still carries the symbolism and meaning but gives the child their own identity and a more unique name if thats your taste

Aillidh April 9th, 2012 04:00 AM

:sneak: My middle name is Rosemary and I love it! But I'm very traditional/classic with both first names and middle names...All of the middle names on my list are from family members.

white.house April 9th, 2012 07:48 AM

I love the tradition of carrying on family names too. I think it is a very special thing to keep alive within a family. I do agree with Elysia though! If they are not your taste, there are definitely twists you can put on the more boring names :p
For example, my brother is Sean named after our grandfather John (I know that isn't a huge style change, but it still has special value to him).

redbirds April 9th, 2012 05:53 PM

Yep.... we do the same thing, sort of :) DD has my mn and DS has BIL's name as his mn (Scott) because BIL died 10 years ago of stomach cancer and it was in honor of him. Two of the names we are considering for mn's for this one are May (in homage of all the Mary's we have in our families, particularly my grandmother, whom I miss dearly) and Clare/Clair... some such spelling to incorporate my mom's mn of Claire and DH's grandmother of Clara... We've also considered Lane as an homage to MIL, who's mn is Elane.

I like the idea of putting a new/fresh spin on very classic names.

Memi April 9th, 2012 08:21 PM

I really like using family names because they are sentimental and in honor of your loved ones. However, even if my most beloved family member had a name I couldn't twist or bend into something I cared for, I wouldn't use it. So I guess I like this tradition as long as you can get a name out of it that you're both happy with. In the end, I think it's not necessary but nice.