JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   help with spelling (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2604459-help-spelling.html)

CMSWAN December 11th, 2012 12:57 PM

help with spelling

How would you spell the name Emerson for a girl? I like Emmersyn but my husband hates it!

whitehouse December 11th, 2012 01:05 PM

Re: help with spelling

Either Emerson or Emersyn

MandersM December 11th, 2012 01:22 PM

I agree with Kelli - one m for Emersyn, or keep the original spelling.

AniLand December 11th, 2012 02:04 PM

I like the traditional Emerson. In my opinion, the 'y' is over used in so many names.

Aillidh December 11th, 2012 03:46 PM

Traditional Emerson, I dislike added the added y's trend.

crunchywannabe December 11th, 2012 08:10 PM

Emerson is a town near where I live. I still prefer that spelling though because my honest opinion is that parents who use Y's just to be 'different' are trying too hard, and are rather annoying people. I just don't like it for whatever reason!

jennada822 December 11th, 2012 11:47 PM

Agree with others, Emersyn or the normal way.

I don't like crazy spellings either, or addes Y's when not necessary. But for some reason with this name I don't mind the Y in there. I think because it gives it a more of a pretty feminine feel, without going overboard or anthing. :)

Pixie December 14th, 2012 08:22 AM

I suspect that people started spelling it Emersyn to get around the "son names are for boys" thing. Personally, I think it changes the pronunciation of the name from EmerSUN to EmerSIN. I also don't like the look of added y's so I'd keep it Emerson if you are going to use it.

gustka48 December 14th, 2012 11:21 AM

I'd have to disagree. I think Emersyn is cute, I'm all for the trending "Y" usage :). But I'd just stick with one m ....adding two makes it the same look like a mouth full.

Allie_SMg December 14th, 2012 07:53 PM

I like Emersyn or Emerson.

redheadchica81 December 21st, 2012 01:27 PM

Emerson or Emersyn...both are fine and agree, two m's is too much :)

mlbsnb December 21st, 2012 03:47 PM

Please use the traditional spelling of Emerson! Emersyn looks absolutely awful, and Emmersyn is worse. Alternative spellings are extremely trendy, but also extremely controversial (kind of like parachute pants in 80s or big hair of 80s). Years from now people will literally cringe at the sight of something like Emmersyn. Please trust me on this!

gustka48 December 21st, 2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlbsnb (Post 26897343)
Please use the traditional spelling of Emerson! Emersyn looks absolutely awful, and Emmersyn is worse. Alternative spellings are extremely trendy, but also extremely controversial (kind of like parachute pants in 80s or big hair of 80s). Years from now people will literally cringe at the sight of something like Emmersyn. Please trust me on this!

I'm not sure people will cringe. Names come and go with the trend, my name is Alyssa (plus there are SEVERAL ways to spell my name and no one cringes when it's spelt differently), and I think my great grandma would have never thought of naming a child anything close to that. Same as my generation, if you had an 'older' name it was different, but now days all the older names are coming back.

P*to*the*ORTIA December 22nd, 2012 03:22 PM

I like Emerson or Emersyn.

Brookem December 23rd, 2012 11:24 PM

I too like the traditional of names in general but I also agree with the previous post that "y" is overly used as a creative tool.

Emerson :)

LadyGamer December 24th, 2012 01:17 AM

Emerson. I very much dislike the other spellings.

And I also cringe when Alyssa is spelt differently :P

AndieP December 24th, 2012 04:05 AM

I prefer the traditional Emerson. I'm not too keen on Emersyn, as I also think it reads like Emer-SIN rather than Emer-SON. Have you thought about possible nicknames aswell? Em or Emmy??

gustka48 December 24th, 2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyGamer (Post 26902161)
Emerson. I very much dislike the other spellings.

And I also cringe when Alyssa is spelt differently :P

Lol well that's the beauty of life. Each to their own! Just saying it's my actual name it I find it creative that there are other spellings for names! (as long as you look at the spelling and can still pronouce it).

LadyGamer December 24th, 2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gustka48 (Post 26902374)
Lol well that's the beauty of life. Each to their own! Just saying it's my actual name it I find it creative that there are other spellings for names! (as long as you look at the spelling and can still pronouce it).

Totally. I mean, my name isn't even spelled the "normal" way :P Opinions, opinions for everyone :)