JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Margaret/Peggy? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2618417-margaret-peggy.html)

MindyRambo January 25th, 2013 10:27 AM

Margaret/Peggy?

So twice this week at work I came across a woman who was emailing me as "Peggy" (2 different women) and when I verified them on our system they were Margaret's. I figured someone changed the name of the wrong person once I came across the first one, but after the 2nd one I inquired, and apparently Peggy is short for (or nn) Margaret??? How the heck does that work? LOL

Has anyone else ever heard this?

P*to*the*ORTIA January 25th, 2013 11:20 AM

Re: Margaret/Peggy?

I found this on the internet:

Margaret” has spawned a bewildering variety of nicknames, from “Margot” to “Daisy.”

The name itself is a variant of the obsolete word “margarite,” meaning “pearl” or “precious stone.” It is apparently of ancient Asian origin, filtered through Greek, Latin, Teutonic and Old French.

It became a very popular given name in medieval England and Scotland, where it was conventionally taken to mean “pearl.”

Since “Margaret” is quite a mouthful, nicknames soon spun off from it. Perhaps the strangest is “Daisy.” It’s a pun dating to a time when “margaret” was also an English slang term for the ox-eye daisy. It became an independent first name during the 1900s fad for flower-based names.

More common were such shortenings and diminutions as “Maggie,” “Meggie” and “Meg.” Some etymologists say that the diminutive “Maggie” form came first, with “Meg” following as a shortened form; others say the shortened form “Meg” came first, with “Maggie” and “Meggie” following as diminutive forms. Nobody really knows.

What we do know is that “Peg” is an altered form of “Meg,” and “Peggy” is an altered form of “Meggie.”

“Meggie” and “Meg” were distinctively Scottish nicknames, so “Peg” and “Peggy” probably were, too.

But no one knows why the “M” was changed to a “P.” (A theory about Celtic-language influence has proven fruitless.) They are similar consonant sounds; maybe the change was inspired by a nonsense-rhyme nickname like “Meggy-Peggy.”

AniLand January 25th, 2013 11:43 AM

Yes, I have known several Margarets who went by Peggy (older women, like grandma's age). I always thought it was weird.

carlyheartsphil January 25th, 2013 03:23 PM

I also know a Margaret that goes by Peggy (in her 60's). I think Margaret just has a ton of nn's because it was so popular at the time!

Aillidh January 25th, 2013 04:41 PM

I know about 3 Margaret's who go by Peggy. Super common in my church.

melaniek85 January 25th, 2013 06:06 PM

I've also heard the nick name Peggy for Margaret.

Amber76 January 26th, 2013 08:44 AM

My neighbor growing up and still a family friend is named Margaret but has always gone by Peg or Peggy. She would be in her upper 50's now

MeggysMommy January 26th, 2013 12:26 PM

I've never heard Peggy as a nn for Margaret either. Kinda different but kinda cool.

MindyRambo January 29th, 2013 06:16 AM

Thanks Ladies, when I came across the first one I figured it had to be a mistake, couldn't figure how they got peggy from margaret but the first reply makes sense! And it's true, Margaret was so common then...

Pixie January 29th, 2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P*to*the*ORTIA (Post 27014387)
Perhaps the strangest is “Daisy.” It’s a pun dating to a time when “margaret” was also an English slang term for the ox-eye daisy. It became an independent first name during the 1900s fad for flower-based names.

Margarita is Spanish for "Daisy" so while this sounds odd off-hand, it actually kind of makes sense when you take that into consideration.

As for Peggy, I'm not sure how they came up with that but there are lots of older names with odd nicknames.

momology January 30th, 2013 07:59 AM

I had never heard this - really interesting :smile: I often wonder where nicknames come from like that. Thanks for sharing :D

white.house January 30th, 2013 08:26 PM

Margaret >>> Meggy >>> Peggy
Hmmm interesting!