JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Which one? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2639043-one.html)

jen747 March 29th, 2013 07:24 PM

Which one?

Hi! Baby boy will be here within a month, and it's been a real struggle deciding on a name. DH really loves Tyler, and I don't dislike it, but maybe too common for me. After many months of discussing other options (DH didn't like anything else), we agreed on a compromise--Tyler Lincoln. So the other day, DH suggested Conner, which I don't care for, and today he suggested Brett. My daughter likes that one, which is influencing me to at least consider it. I'm not sure it sounds right with our last name (2 syllables, starts with D & ends with -ta). I know neither name is the style many people are going for, but which do you prefer---Tyler or Brett?

Mrs.Julie March 30th, 2013 09:55 AM

Re: Which one?

Definitely Tyler :-)

Memi March 30th, 2013 10:37 AM

I like Brett only b/c it's less common. My brother's name is Brett and I've always like that it's a little more unique than my name (jealous).

Aillidh March 30th, 2013 11:43 AM

Tyler, by faaaar.

alittlelost March 30th, 2013 03:26 PM

I actually like both.

Momtothe6thpower March 30th, 2013 05:21 PM

You can't go wrong with either. There does look like a theme with Brooklyn and Brett. Would you like more children in the future? Would it bother you if a third child didn't start with B(r)? If so I would go with Tyler.

melaniek85 March 30th, 2013 05:48 PM

I like them both but I like Brett a little more.

carlyheartsphil March 30th, 2013 09:05 PM

I like Brett, never have been a fan of Tyler.

My2miracles April 1st, 2013 10:09 AM

Brett by far. Tyler is way to common for both boys & girls.

mrsjl April 1st, 2013 11:10 AM

Brett

butterfly721 April 1st, 2013 07:48 PM

I love them both, but I personally would go with Tyler.

Kelsie April 1st, 2013 10:43 PM

I like Brett better, and it's a plus that Brooklyn likes it. But I'm kinda thinking Tyler works better with your last name. Brett has pretty much the same beginning sound as D***. The A at the end does draw away from it, though. I'm not sure if that really matters to you. I know you've been having issues with this for awhile! I hope you figure out what works perfect for your family.

LadyGamer April 2nd, 2013 12:52 AM

I like them both, but i'd go with Tyler with your DD's name.

ohnicole April 2nd, 2013 06:11 AM

I like them both, but I think I lean toward Tyler.

cheerfulsunrise April 2nd, 2013 12:31 PM

I like Brett better :)

awkwardsquid April 2nd, 2013 02:27 PM

Brett is deffinitly less common, though it makes me think of country singers...

But at my college of 400 people, 35 of them are named Tyler or Tylor. It is a very common name.

The problem that we had with my family with names that start the same, is that two of my brothers are named Jordan and Justin. It is really hard to tell who is being called.

So they usually just assumed that it was the other and kept playing.

Just something to think about. ^_^

jen747 April 2nd, 2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelsie (Post 27249077)
I like Brett better, and it's a plus that Brooklyn likes it. But I'm kinda thinking Tyler works better with your last name. Brett has pretty much the same beginning sound as D***. The A at the end does draw away from it, though. I'm not sure if that really matters to you. I know you've been having issues with this for awhile! I hope you figure out what works perfect for your family.

Yes, that's what I was thinking...Brett sounds so close to the last name that it's almost awkward to say (since you actually know what my last name is). We would likely call him Ty if we go with Tyler, which I do like. DH says it sounds like a sports star, and I kind of agree! Haha

And OMGoodness, Kelsie, I didn't know you were pregnant! Congratulations!! Miss you!

mom2K&G April 3rd, 2013 06:27 AM

I like Brett better with your daughters name. :)

My2miracles April 3rd, 2013 10:14 AM

I don't think there will be confusion with Brett & Brooklyn because although they start with the same letter nothing else is similar. (I could see an issue with Justin & Jordan though ;) ). But if Brett doesn't sound right with the last name that does factor in.

momology April 5th, 2013 01:33 PM

I think I prefer Brett - but I do agree you are starting a naming trend then :smile: