JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Planned nicknames? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2651225-planned-nicknames.html)

moorarr0 May 17th, 2013 07:34 AM

Planned nicknames?

Soooo....

My husband and I have decided not to find out the gender in advance, so we've chosen two potential names.

If it is a girl, we are going to name her for our mothers, Kathleen Rosemary, but we would like to call her Rosalie.

If it is a boy, we want to name him Jonathan (father's name) Edmond, but we would like to call him Nemo. Not after the fish...

What we can't decide is if it is too far fetched to create nicknames like this. I mean, I know that Jenna Bush just did a similar thing with Mila from Margaret and Laura, but I just can't decide if it's too strange??

Help?!

Juste May 17th, 2013 11:34 AM

Re: Planned nicknames?

I am residing in Thailand, were everybody has a real name AND a nickname at birth. People are always called by their nickname, which is really cool. I too had to find a nickname for myself. I think it s a great idea to have nicknames :-)

My2miracles May 17th, 2013 11:42 AM

For me I think it's confusing when the nickname isn't an obviousy nickname like shorty or a shortened version of the real name.

Like in your case - Kathy or Kate. It gets confusing later in life when the name they go by doesn't match their legal name.

If you are going to call you Rosalie, why not just name her Rosalie?

Juste May 17th, 2013 11:52 AM

[QUOTE=My2miracles;27372017
If you are going to call you Rosalie, why not just name her Rosalie?[/QUOTE]
because they want to honor their parents by usign their parent's name, but the name they like is rosalie.

At least Rosalie is not too far from Rosemary. Compromise by nicknaming your girl Rose! :-)

carlyheartsphil May 17th, 2013 03:37 PM

I like the idea!

ashj_1218 May 17th, 2013 03:43 PM

I think it's fine as long as you are aware and okay with the possibility that your child will chose not to keep the nickname once they are in school or potentially at any point in their lives. Nicknames evolve for many reasons, some of which are the parents creating them for ease or because it just happens to be something the child is called a lot in life.

We named our daughter Josephine...but would much, much prefer to not have her called Josie. To prevent this, we have chosen to implement the nickname "Jo" instead. Naturally, we are aware that when she hits school age, if she wants to be a Josie, we will have to adapt. But it's really not that different to use a nickname loosely tied to the name.

My brothers boss goes by Shorti. No one even remembers his real name. All his life his older brothers called him Shorti and it just stuck. So it's not terribly weird to me to nickname a child something sort of "outside the typical" nicknames for their given name.

Ms-Loui May 19th, 2013 02:04 PM

Think that is a great idea. My neice is called Mila

momology May 20th, 2013 02:44 PM

I agree with the other ladies. I think it works as long as you are alright with them being called something else besides their nicknames as they get older. I have seen that happen to several friends so far.

One example I have recently seen: Franklin Cassius - parents wanted him to be called Cash he is most often called Frankie. . .

Momtothe6thpower May 20th, 2013 05:05 PM

They might be harder to get to 'stick' but if your committed then go for it!

Personally, I think that Rosemary Kathleen brings together Rosalee better than Kathleen Rosemary.
And on an even more personal preference, I LOVE the name Rosemary nn Romy!