JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Torn between two names- need opinions! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2668515-torn-between-two-names-need-opinions.html)

Aimee319 July 28th, 2013 05:36 PM

Torn between two names- need opinions!

We are due with our second baby in October. We don't know the gender and are not finding out until it's born. So if it's a boy, all this stress could be for nothing. We have a boy name picked out- Henry Joseph.

But if it's a girl...I am torn between 2 names. I literally go back and forth every day on what I think she should be called. There are a lot of names I love (I am into old-fashioned, feminine names) but DH is pretty picky so through process of elimination we are down to Eleanor or Juliet. Eleanor I have loved since I was pregnant with my son- love how it is strong and classic and love the nicknames Ella/Ellie. However sometimes I don't think it's "the one" because Ella is SO popular right now and I don't want her to be one of 5 Ella's in her preschool class. My son's name is pretty popular but I didn't know that when I named him (in 2010) so sometimes I think popularity isn't the hugest deal.

And the second choice- I have loved the name Julia all of my life but DH isn't too fond, however he loves Juliet. So that idea was born. My only gripe with it is that my son's name starts with a "J" as well, and I am SO not a matchy-matchy type person. Like, it will bother me if people think I named them both with J's to be cutesy. I've had some people tell me that it will be very noticeable and some people say not really. We MIGHT have a third child (undecided) but if we do, the name will NOT start with a J. I love Juliet because it's pretty and actually way less popular than Eleanor is right now, and certainly less popular than Ella.

As far as the middle name- we are set on giving her a family name as the middle and most likely it will be Gail or Abigail as my Mom's name is Gail and I would love to honor her. However it is also possible her middle name could end up being "Raine" after me (my middle name is Lorraine). So feel free to give me your middle name suggestions too. Like, do you think Juliet Abigail is just way too much of a mouthful?

To give you a better feel for it- my son's name is Jackson Matthew and our last name is 2 syllables and ends with an "ee" sound, rhymes with "Meaney". TIA!!!

redbirds July 28th, 2013 05:58 PM

Re: Torn between two names- need opinions!

I like Eleanor Raine :) I agree, though, that Ella/Ellie is quite popular right now. If it doesn't bother you, use it :)

Juliet Abigail is also pretty, but it may be a mouthful with the last name. I think just with first and last names, Eleanor Meanie vs. Juliet Meanie... Eleanor wins for me :)

MrsHoot July 28th, 2013 06:06 PM

I like them both! I picked Juliet because I also think Liet could be a cute nickname and its not super popular right now, like Ella. (I also love Elle, Ella, etc. wish it wasn't so popular right now!)

JJ1234 July 28th, 2013 06:14 PM

I love both of those names. Eleanor is absolutely beautiful. Eleanor Raine sounds perfect! :)

Carwen*Angel July 29th, 2013 07:51 AM

I like both, but I'm going Juliet because I think it's prettier as a first name and more unusual at present as well.

Juliet Raine or even Juliet Lorraine sounds nice.

Perhaps Gail or Gayle would work better than the full Abigail if you went with Juliet.

gustka48 July 29th, 2013 09:43 AM

Juliet Gail - is so cute it's to die for!!! I love Juliet, and you could call her Julie!! It's so pretty and classic!!!! I'm in love!! Gorgeous pick of name!

My2miracles July 29th, 2013 10:19 AM

I didn't vote because I couldn't pick! I love both names! I can see why you are having a hard time. Good luck!

momology July 29th, 2013 12:12 PM

I think they are both great name choices - Eleanor won for me after I read your description with DS's name and your last name. WDYT of nicknames like Nora and Norrie? That could get you away from the so popular Ella.

You cant go wrong with these names in my opinion :D

JJ1234 July 29th, 2013 02:05 PM

Love the idea of Nora for a nick name! Brilliant. :) Just cements my vote for Eleanor!

BabyBirdies July 29th, 2013 02:12 PM

I agree - go with Eleanor, and use a nickname like Nora :)

Momtothe6thpower July 29th, 2013 02:36 PM

I love the name Juliet (love Jules as a nn)! I like Juliet Raine is beautiful.
But I also like the name Eleanor Gail! I agree that if you use Eleanor, you should opt opt for Nora as nn.

Jlynn July 29th, 2013 06:01 PM

Eleanor seems so old lady to me. Maybe because that is my grandma's sisters name and she was/is the only Eleanor I have ever known.
Juliet is BEAUTIFUL!!

MidgeMadge July 30th, 2013 05:12 AM

I really like Juliet, I think it's so pretty. And I love Abigail, but I'm not sure of the flow. I like Juliet Raine a lot better.

And I wouldn't use Eleanor, but I love it for other little girls. Definitely not with Abigail- I don't like that flow or style together at ALL. Eleanor Raine is pretty.

Aimee319 July 30th, 2013 06:50 AM

Thank you so much for all the responses and votes so far! It really helps. If we went with Eleanor her mn would almost definitely be Gail. I don't really love Eleanor Raine because I think it sounds like it flows into one word- "Eleanorraine". And Eleanor Abigail does sound terrible. Juliet Raine is probably the best combo, IMO. Middle names are hard for us because I will not use a random name, we use family names.

What do you guys think of having two kids with the same first initial? Did anyone else do this, not on purpose? Do people notice?

ETA: I do like Nora as a nickname but have to admit I like Ella better. Wish it wasn't so dang popular. And if we go with Juliet, her nn will be Julie. Have always loved Julie.