JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Non-Traditional Names For Grandma? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2669993-non-traditional-names-for-grandma.html)

Kitcat10126 August 3rd, 2013 08:30 PM

Non-Traditional Names For Grandma?

I am just over 8 weeks along and my mother is already trying to figure out what the baby will call her! My fiancÚ and I are young (21) and my mother is in her upper 40's. We have all agreed that she looks and has such a personality too young for "grandma." What names have you used instead???

UPDATE: thanks for all the help! My parents are divorced as well, and both dating new people (awkward). My mother is a teacher (FN is Laura) so she is used to being called many different names!

ducksaresnazzy August 5th, 2013 12:22 PM

Re: Non-Traditional Names For Grandma?

my mother, who is 39, is insisting the baby call her "meemaw".

we're having our daughter call her Nana, which is what i called my grandmother. her other grandma already has other grandkids who call her "mama chandler", so i guess she'll stick with that. i called my other grandma "lulu", because her last name was Lewis.

gustka48 August 5th, 2013 01:56 PM

My mother just turned 44 and will be a grandma at a young and really really likes nana for a name :)

Momtothe6thpower August 5th, 2013 03:56 PM

I really want to be a Nana some day.

Others...
Grammy/Gram
Nanny/Nonny
MiMi
Mammy
Granna

My nephew calls his other Grandma, Honey, because that is what his Grandpa always called her, lol!

Verity Jean August 6th, 2013 12:53 AM

Nan/Nanny is the most popular here in England.

Avery'sMommy430 August 6th, 2013 04:48 AM

My mom really wanted for them to be Nonny and Poppy...which I hated. Lol. When Avery started talking he started calling her Grammy and now she loves that and all 6 of her grandkids call her Grammy. It's really endearing and super cute coming from tiny mouths!

mom2K&G August 6th, 2013 05:11 AM

My DS calls his grandma GiGi

Memi August 6th, 2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Gabe (Post 27567396)
My DS calls his grandma GiGi

Mine does too. My mom is a younger and spirited Grandmother and she literally had a midlife crisis over what she would be called when I was pregnant with my first child. Other names ive heard are Nonny, Yaya, Sassy, Meme...all I can think of right now

ashj_1218 August 7th, 2013 08:06 AM

There are plenty of fun options. Some could be based on name (whatever her first name is). And some are just fun options. My mom is Gams. She picked it and I thought it was kinda awkward at first, but it has grown on me, especially since no one else has that name for their grandma. She also debated being "Gramma" and leaving out the "d". I have a good friend whose kids call her MIL "Meeme" and did that on their own (it's pronounced me-m). Very not grandma-like. I have also heard "Noni" and "Oma" which are Italian and German for grandma. And kinda cute in non-old ways.

My mom was also in her 40s when she became a grandma. No one ever believes she is a grandma. She gets called their mom all the time when I am not with her. Lol.

momology August 7th, 2013 12:07 PM

My mom wants to be Gigi which I think is really cute. You can also look at words for grandma in other languages. I also like Nona and Nonny

Jessimaaka August 7th, 2013 04:27 PM

All the cute ones I can think of seem to be mentioned, Mimi, Gigi, etc. My mom is in her early 50s and she is Grammy ('like the award' she says lol). GL! The first thing my mom told me when we told her we were pregnant was 'OMG, what is he or she going to call me?!' and she agonized for the rest of my pregnany, LOL.

My2miracles August 12th, 2013 10:35 AM

Mimi & Gigi are the ones I've heard the most that sound "younger" than other versions of grandma.

missa.gifford August 12th, 2013 01:20 PM

My family has always been big on individual grandparent names (to distinguish between the grandparents, step-grandparents, great-grandparents, etc.). As little kids, we had nicknames for our parents that stemmed from their names (Hollymama for holly and Dadrew for Andrew). When my sister's oldest was born, they took those names and converted them a little for grandparent names, Grandrew and Leema. Some of weren't too keen on the names, but it's really about your parent's relationship with the baby and what suits their personalities best, even as granparents. Now the names are adorable and totally fit and make sense when the babies use them.

HippieLove August 12th, 2013 06:53 PM

My Mum is in her 40's too and she chose Gran. When I'm a Grandmother I want to be Grammy/Grams.

ImagineOctober August 18th, 2013 06:03 PM

MiMi is my favorite "grandma" name!

Melissa.Anne August 18th, 2013 09:13 PM

I've heard grandmommy, which is kinda cute! We're going to have a heck of a time with names because both mine and DH's parents are divorced, and remarried... So there are 4 sets! The one I'm struggling with the most is DH's Dad's new wife.... Whom he married earlier this month, after dating 6 months... And we have yet to meet her! (Clearly it wasn't important for his children to even know about this ahead of time).

Call me crazy, but I don't think an impulse move like that earns you a 'grandma' title.

Bluesstarz2 November 16th, 2013 06:14 PM

My inlaws go by Annie- kinda like Grannie but without the gr and papi