JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Name? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2672819-name.html)

Lily81972 August 16th, 2013 03:38 PM

Name?

We are having a lil boy and fiance and I decided on James Scott as the name. My mom and two daughters love it but his mom and sister think it is such an old mans name. We really like it since Scott is my fiances name and their are no James in our families. How can we politely say its our kid and we love the name, butt out!

We thought of Andrew Scott but it doesn't go with our daughters names, Stephanie Marie & Kristina Ann. What do you all think? anyone else having this issue? :confused:

redbirds August 18th, 2013 07:23 PM

Re: Name?

Stephanie, Kristine and Andrew flows well. Stephanie, Kristine and James is also nice.

James isn't an old man name! Good grief :rollseyes: You can always politely point them to the SS name list, where James has ranked anywhere between 12 and 18 in the U.S. in the past 12 years, so LOTS of sweet boys being named James! (and probably the trend continues for several decades, but keeping current, it's NOT an old man name). It's a great, classic and tried/true name. If they don't accept that, well, too bad for them ;)

Momtothe6thpower August 19th, 2013 08:51 AM

I wouldn't be polite, I'd just say 'it's my kid and his name is James'.

AllyTales August 19th, 2013 09:54 AM

I can't stand when family butts into naming a child- they had their chance. It's yours! I think James Scott is lovely :)

Mrs.Julie August 19th, 2013 11:52 AM

Yeah, the funny thing is that they are old! So they're going by their old school values which are no longer valid and just plain wrong! My mum said the same thing about the name Angelina almost 12 years ago (glad I didn't go with it since Angelina Jolie came along!) but it's no longer considered an old lady name. Only you know the perfect name for *your baby. By the way, James is such a classic name I doubt it will ever be considered old.

My2miracles August 19th, 2013 11:54 AM

I know a 3 year old James & he difinitely doesn't look or act like an old man!

mrsjl August 19th, 2013 12:25 PM

that's just silly! James is a great name! Andrew is a good name too.

momology August 19th, 2013 12:35 PM

I agree to me James is a wonderful and classic name not an old man name :giggle: I also like Andrew as well but I think you just have to go with what you like the most. They wont think it is an old man name when they see it on your adorable little one :)

ashj_1218 August 19th, 2013 07:40 PM

I think it will grow on them. My MIL hasn't liked a single name we have selected for our children (she doesn't much like me either. Lol). But in time, with us using it and attaching a meaning (their grandchild) to it...they always come around. I think it might be best to just continue using the name you love and wait for them to back off. It will happen (unless they are really annoying folk).

And yeah, James is NOT an old persons name. No more or less than Andrew, in my opinion. They are both classical names that can't be linked to a time in history...always stable. :)

Heidijens1 August 19th, 2013 08:16 PM

I say if you like it use it!! the best way to tell them it's your choice? DOn't tell them what you are going to name the baby till baby is born.
My parents and grandparents all did the eww thing with my first so I'm on my 5th now and they have not heard a name at all before the baby is born.