JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Laine... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2678598-laine.html)

redbirds September 12th, 2013 10:27 PM

Laine...

Is it too gender neutral to be matched with an already gender-neutral first name? It would be the middle name, but I'm hoping for a feminine middle name and this was thrown in the mix because of the family history to DH's side. I like it, but always thought it not feminine enough to really emphasize that baby would be a girl if they had to look at the middle name for hints (like, on a roll call or resume or transcript or whatever).

When you see Laine, is it definitely girl, maybe girl, or 50/50 girl or boy?

Momtothe6thpower September 13th, 2013 09:46 AM

Re: Laine...

I personally think girl when I see the 'i' or I think poor boy, why couldn't they have spelt it Lane.
So I'm going to go with, maybe girl.

Mrs.Julie September 13th, 2013 10:02 AM

Im thinking of this as a girl first name if we have another girl...spelled like this, its ALL girl.

butterfly721 September 13th, 2013 11:16 AM

I think it's a feminine name. Very pretty!

Memi September 13th, 2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momtothe6thpower (Post 27652830)
I personally think girl when I see the 'i'

Me too.

ducksaresnazzy September 13th, 2013 08:56 PM

i personally think girl. i'd assume it was from Elaine or something, especially when you say it's a family name.

what's the first name? i think that has a lot to do with it, though.

LvMyLaxKid September 14th, 2013 02:02 PM

I think of Laine as a boy name, but could work for a girl. If you're worried about it sounding too neutral, what about having her mn be Elaine, Elaina or Lainey? ;)

redbirds September 14th, 2013 02:15 PM

Elaina is another option, but Laine just sounds better with the flow of the whole name. We're trying to do either a 1 syllable or 3 syllable (or more) mn because 1st name and last name would be 2 syllables each. We've got time to try it out :)

momology September 17th, 2013 08:35 AM

I like Laine but I am 50/50 on boy girl. I like Elaina a lot as well!! If I read it on paper though I dont think Laine would make me automatically think girl.

redbirds September 17th, 2013 02:24 PM

Thanks, ladies... I searched the name on the SS list and it's fairly high (I thought in the 200's but I can't remember now) on the boy list and not even presented on the girl's list, and that's the Laine spelling. I think we'll toy with Elaina, Laina, Lina options and see what sounds better. We could also go Helaina or Helina, since it's a diminutive of Helen and in honor of both his grandmother and mom... I wish I loved one right away but they don't just flow as well as maybe a simple name like Faith, which I adore :) but Faith has not family connection, so I dropped it...