JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Honest opinion on this girls name please (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2679089-honest-opinion-girls-name-please.html)

sbTLD September 15th, 2013 08:45 AM

Honest opinion on this girls name please

I know it is controversial and I am NOT concerned about the biblical reference more worried about the English noun the name has become associated with. I LOVE the name but do NOT want to cause my baby girl problems in the future. I have gotten beaten up on other forums - usually due to the biblical reference. Please give your honest opinions like it or not! We are considering Jezebel Jane or Jezebel Joy for our baby girl. This would give her same initials as her daddy and brother.

Mrs.Julie September 15th, 2013 09:38 AM

Re: Honest opinion on this girls name please

11 years ago I had this name on my list for my first dd and my mom said no way, due to the biblical reference but I scoffed. But then, I guess since my ears were open and it was in my radar, I heard this used as an insult several times, to my dismay. I ditched it. Other associations are fine (nerdy, silly, sultry, Christian, Wiccan etc etc) but this direct association, IMO, would be cruel to bestow on a girl. Sorry.i agree it's a beautiful sounding name but the connotation could literally ruin her life.

redbirds September 15th, 2013 09:47 AM

Yeah... even atheists I know use it as an insult to the girl they're taking about... such a jezebel... and that's never a nice connotation. Definitely wouldn't do it to my girl, and if I were a teacher, I'd look to call her something else just because it's got such a bad association with it, I wouldn't want to say it!

Momtothe6thpower September 15th, 2013 10:53 AM

Honestly, no matter your religion, I think it will cause heartache due to how well known the religious association is.

What about Jessamine?

TeeferTiger September 15th, 2013 12:05 PM

I'm not religious in the slightest and don't tend to take much notice of biblical connotations of names.

However, Jezebel is a well known slang term for a harlot/prostitute and it isn't something I'd wish upon a child :(

mommyluneyburd September 16th, 2013 05:18 PM

i agree...it is used a slang word. :(
I do like the name though, but kids are mean!

momology September 17th, 2013 08:32 AM

I agree with the other ladies. I do think it is a pretty name but personally I dont think I could get over the meaning and use it.

ducksaresnazzy September 17th, 2013 02:47 PM

i was aware of the story behind it, but i've never heard it as an insult. maybe it's a regional thing? this is a very christian small town but we generally just say the actual nouns, not throw around bibical references.

My2miracles September 18th, 2013 10:16 AM

I think it started out as a biblical reference many, many years ago but just became another word for woman if ill repute so to speak. Like a lot of people say Kleenex instead of tissue even though the brand may be puffs.

She'd likely end up hating her name and even changing it when she's an adult.

Jlynn September 18th, 2013 08:38 PM

What name are you going with now? :)

crunchywannabe September 19th, 2013 05:55 PM

nope... can't get past the references, biblical and otherwise.

east to west coast September 20th, 2013 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeferTiger (Post 27656625)
I'm not religious in the slightest and don't tend to take much notice of biblical connotations of names.

However, Jezebel is a well known slang term for a harlot/prostitute and it isn't something I'd wish upon a child :(

Ditto.