JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Baby Names (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/)
-   -   Yay or nay on this name? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f81-baby-names/2680682-yay-nay-name.html)

joonzgurl September 22nd, 2013 09:19 PM

Yay or nay on this name?

We have already decided on this name for our baby girl who is due in 3 weeks, but I am nervous about what our friends and family will think.

The name is Dawsyn Brielle.

To answer some common questions:

-We want it pronounced Daw-sin, not Daw-son
- We did not make it up, 4 girls in our province were named Dawsyn last year

We also have a 2 year old girl named Avery Elizabeth.

Momtothe6thpower September 22nd, 2013 09:27 PM

Re: Yay or nay on this name?

Wait until she is born to announce it and they will love it. :)

ducksaresnazzy September 22nd, 2013 09:53 PM

first of all, who cares if you made it up? i made up the name Audraleah (auh-druh-lay-uh) for my daughter.

second, i love unique names. yay. :)

amazing_love September 23rd, 2013 11:08 AM

I personally love the name! Don't worry about others, you can't please everyone even if you tried. I agree waiting until after she's born seems like a good idea. We will probably do the same.

Jlynn September 23rd, 2013 12:41 PM

I LOVE it! I think the spelling is perfect for the way you want it pronounced!

redbirds September 23rd, 2013 04:24 PM

Not TOTALLY fond of the spelling, but for what you are going for, it fits. Cute name... I agree, don't spill the name until she's born and all they'll see when they hear the name is her beautiful little face, what's not to love? :)

delaney87 September 23rd, 2013 06:54 PM

I love it.. I work in child care & we have a Dylann in our class who is a girl ;-)

ChicaChels September 23rd, 2013 11:12 PM

i love it...i love the spelling :) it feminizes it a lot!

ashj_1218 September 24th, 2013 09:30 AM

I think it fits really well with Avery. They make a nice pair. The spelling is good for pronunciation and for the feminine aspect. However, in spoken language, I think most folks will think it's a boy. Which is really no big deal...people think Jo is a boy all the time (given I call her Jo and they can't take a context clue from the dresses and headbands). As long as that part doesn't bug you (which I imagine, with an Avery, it doesn't), it's a great name :)

mlbsnb September 25th, 2013 03:02 PM

I actually like unisex names, but Dawson is ALL boy to me - esp since it means 'son of David'. Add the Y in the spelling and this is what I think: young mom, low IQ, juvenile, hot mess, poor kid. :( I am just being honest!
Avery Elizabeth is a solid choice, Dawsyn...it is bad, REALLY bad.

mkljmom September 26th, 2013 09:06 PM

I love unisex names! I like Dawson better than Dawsyn, but I get what you are going for with the feminine "y".

I was not a fan of the name one of my best friend choses for her son, "Simon" but now that he is here, I love it and I love him! :) I think your friends and family will feel the same!

Jessifer September 28th, 2013 09:14 AM

If you are very picky and specific about the way the name is pronounced, then maybe it is not such a great idea. People are going to pronounce her name whatever way they think and you (and later on you daughter) cannot spend that much time and energy teaching people the slight nuances between "Daw-sin" and "Daw-son". Most people really aren't going to see the difference.

DH is from another country so he has a weird name by North American standards. It doesn't matter how many times he repeats it, people never pronounce it right, so he's learned to just let it go and let them say whatever they want.

adi&co. September 29th, 2013 02:37 AM

I named my son Jamesen because I wanted it pronounced En rather than On. Im a firm believer of doing what you want and not caring about what anyone else thinks. We got tons of guff from family about our first son's name, so we stopped telling people with the rest, lol